Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wrote the Bible then?

• 04-04-2019 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

They could hardly whip out a biro and quote JC word for word could they ? It was hammers,chisels and a nice flat bit of stone back then so shorthand was out of the question too. I think I have been sold a pup all along.....?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Most of it was actually made up of retweets and .gifs from live streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

They used speech-to-text software for the New Testament. But for the Old Testament, they had to rely on dictaphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Eh, haven't you ever heard of the the Four Evangelists ffs!

John, Paul, George and Ringo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Lots of different people wrote gospels and holy books back then. Around the 4th century, Constantine got the church leaders at the time together and they shaped the faith as we know it now. They also decided which books were going to be in the bible and which were out. So there are many authors.

Edit: Oh, I see where this thread is going now, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

**** it, I have been lied to all along ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Matthew, Mark and Luke all copied off each other, John went and did his own thing.
    Paul wrote a few letters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Eh, haven't you ever heard of the the Four Evangelists ffs!

John, Paul, George and Ringo?

I prefer the king James one.

James Brown that is. Get up get on up stay on the scene get on up like a worshipn machine get on up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Wtf ? wrote: »
    They could hardly whip out a biro and quote JC word for word could they ? It was hammers,chisels and a nice flat bit of stone back then so shorthand was out of the question too. I think I have been sold a pup all along.....?

Im guessing history was not your forte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

God is perfect.

Man is flawed and a sinner and must constantly ask forgiveness for his sins.

Who transcribed the word of God?

Ermmm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

A book that contradicts itself dozens of times, is incredibly vague and open to interpretation, makes dozens of demonstrably incorrect scientific and other claims...

....But written by an omnipotent, infallible God...

Aye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its a bit complex.

The Bible is made up of many books which are in turn made up from different literature from varying sources from different points in history.
    There are also different interpretations and even regional versions.

It also depends on which religious denomination is referring to the bible, as some religions use different books of the bible to constitute their Bible.
    Add to this the fact that the books of the bible have been around for centuries and doubtless were edited for many different reasons - its difficult to say who actually wrote bible other than to those who have books attributed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It took over 500 years after the death of Christ for the writings that were to make up the Bible to be agreed (sort of) by the scholars and leaders of, what was already established by then, a factionalised Faith. This was a horse trade over what constituted 'divinely inspired' or not. Yes, great groups of sinners deciding what was or wasn't Holy. The irony.

Even then, each time there was a schism or a renewal in the Church it opened the whole debate again until some time around the turn of the 17th century when it settled down to be the anthology we have today.

I've always wondered how it never seems to be transmissible to the evangelical types, that the book they like to bash people over the head with and take literally in many cases, is a sort of 'Now Thats What I Call Holy, Volume 23', merely a history, which like all histories, was written by the victors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Most of it was actually made up of retweets and .gifs from live streams.

Indeed, I just saw the other day a claim to the fact Moses was in fact the first person to download information from The Cloud onto a Tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Lots of different people wrote gospels and holy books back then. Around the 4th century, Constantine got the church leaders at the time together and they shaped the faith as we know it now. They also decided which books were going to be in the bible and which were out. So there are many authors.

Edit: Oh, I see where this thread is going now, sorry.
    But then the Protestants came along and dropped a some of the books. For example, if there was not an existing Hebrew text of an Old Testament book, it was left out of the Canon. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, some of these omitted books were there in their Hewbrew form.

There were loads of books written and only come made the cut (not that the writers thought about there boing 'a cut' or a complete version of the Bible). We've missed out on The Books of Enoch, the Life of Adam and Eve, Apocalypse of Peter, and the Gospel of Thomas. ("Or have we really?" some wags will say.)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,023 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I read JC in your post I thought your were referring to the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

The religious orders, attending Synods, decided to vote that this hodge podge of stories (a sort of ancient version of Purple Monkey Dishwasher) was literally the word of god i.e. divinely inspired.

It's a no-brainer to do that if you have a vested interest in it being so and it's easy to get away with such bull**** for centuries when the majority of people were illiterate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

valoren wrote: »
    it's easy to get away with such bull**** when the majority of people were illiterate.
    Not quite that simple. Among the literate it also found favour. Indeed some of the greatest minds humanity has ever brought forth followed it. Isaac Newton was also a theologian.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Funny you should mention that. Because it seems they've changed the things they teach kids in school now. The stations of the cross have gone from 12 to 6 in my sons religion book.

* Some people did not like Jesus.
    * They brought him to a man called Pilate.
    * Pilate said "Jesus should be put to death."
    * The soldiers gave Jesus a cross to carry.
    * Jesus died on the cross.
    * Jesus' friends placed his body in a tomb.

So no more Hebrews, because of the old anti-semitism. Feck it, we'll direct our ire towards the Romans, make it Pilates fault, sure they ain't about anymore. Even though he seemingly wanted nothing to do with it, and gave the people a choice.

Just goes to show that this whole thing gets adapted to the societal "norms" of their respective times. A kid can understand peer pressure if you give them a chance to. Which is what that whole story represented. Now... the major plot point has been scrubbed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It went from an oral tradition to writing the stories down, in philosophy, linguistics, sociology, psychology there is a forest worth of books on the difference between the spoken word versus the written word, the name of the word forms the reference of the word in our brain, a very important point.

Example the monarchy in the UK ( not the queen alone ) cant be seen, touched, or felt like an object it has no substance yet people believed in and support it because they choose to. It literally came in to being because of belief. It also means something different in the mind of a Thai person versus a UK person.

On the other hand, a table is a table an object that can be referenced and touched and has an objective reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Gospel of Thomas is a truly ment-TAL read. You can see why they left it out. Lots of demon-fighting craziness.

Anyway - even among the 4 evangalists that were accepted, don't think they knew Jesus personally.

It would be like me and my mates writing about the life of JFK there circa 2006 with lots of copying and pasting going on between us.

"...and he did go unto the town of Dallas in the province of Texas and a great multitude did welcome him and shout praises unto him."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite that simple. Among the literate it also found favour. Indeed some of the greatest minds humanity has ever brought forth followed it. Isaac Newton was also a theologian.

Yes absolutely loved, loved, loved the bible.
    Convinced it contained a secret code.

One of the greatest known human minds but there you go.

Divil for the alchemy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

topper75 wrote: »
    Gospel of Thomas is a truly ment-TAL read. You can see why they left it out. Lots of demon-fighting craziness.

Anyway - even among the 4 evangalists that were accepted, don't think they knew Jesus personally.

It would be like me and my mates writing about the life of JFK there circa 2006 with lots of copying and pasting going on between us.

"...and he did go unto the town of Dallas in the province of Texas and a great multitude did welcome him and shout praises unto him."
    "And Judas begot himself to a grassy knoll"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Jolene Teeny Gum

topper75 wrote: »

Probably not. The first gospel (Mark's) was written an estimated 40 years after the death of Jesus, and the last (John's) about 60 to 70 years after. It's generally accepted that the authors relied for their sources on stories that had been passed down orally about Jesus, rather than their own personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

The Christian abrahamic religion is more Celtic and pagan in its root's than middle Eastern.

Basic it went from east to west to east.

A lot of Irish Welsh and Scottish scholar's are responsible for the holy book of the new testament.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You have to first put humans into context.

Humans recorded their history orally through stories. Stories were used to pass down information on families, regions and humans in general through generation after generation.
    Stories were used to educate people and warn of dangers.

The bible, and other holy books from that time are a collection of such fables. An effort to collect together stories to educate people on how they might live a better life.

It’s not a factual history text.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The silk road by Peter Frankopan has a really fascinating bit about the spread of Christianity and how images of floods, sacrifice, plagues of the locus, etc all became common imagery in the culture of Europe because of the spread of Christianity even though they were not common occurrences in Northern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

_Brian wrote: »
    You have to first put humans into context.

Humans recorded their history orally through stories. Stories were used to pass down information on families, regions and humans in general through generation after generation.
    Stories were used to educate people and warn of dangers.

The bible, and other holy books from that time are a collection of such fables. An effort to collect together stories to educate people on how they might live a better life.

It’s not a factual history text.

really? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement