Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freesat Box serving more than one room

• 14-01-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

My folks have a freesat dish and freesat box serving the tv in the living room, they also have a saorview box for this tv so that covers everything they need ie all the uk & irish free to air stations.

In another room they have a saorview enabled tv which is grand for irish fta. Rather than buying a second freesat box is there any way get the UK free to air channels in this room via the freesat box in the other room?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It can be connected to a second tv,a videosender is probably the tidiest way with no cables being run but you have to watch the same channel as the one in the other room.Probably better off getting another freesat box or a cheap fta one.

Here's an example of a videosender.

vk82a_breakout.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Cheers Zerks

Just remembered I have a spare std sky hd box in the attic, could this be used instead of getting another freesat box? in other words could these sky boxes be capable of picking up fta channels without sky subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If you go the cabled route this is an option - Triax Tri-Link

Cheers Zerks

Just remembered I have a spare std sky hd box in the attic, could this be used instead of getting another freesat box? in other words could these sky boxes be capable of picking up fta channels without sky subscription

The standard box without a card can be used for fta and save you a few bob.Just select the 50 main channels you watch as favourites then simply use the blue button on the remote to scroll through them,saves having to go through all the ones you can't watch.I use one for fta in the kitchen,the missus is used to using a skybox so it makes her life easier to use one for fta. (That sounds bad reading it back,having the missus watch tv in the kitchen:D)

Does the dish have a quad lnb so you can connect a cable to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

If you're getting an a/v sender go for a 5.8GHz much better than the 2.4 for interference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

The tri-link is a better option if possible

zerks wrote: »
    The standard box without a card can be used for fta and save you a few bob.Just select the 50 main channels you watch as favourites then simply use the blue button on the remote to scroll through them,saves having to go through all the ones you can't watch.I use one for fta in the kitchen,the missus is used to using a skybox so it makes her life easier to use one for fta. (That sounds bad reading it back,having the missus watch tv in the kitchen:D)

Does the dish have a quad lnb so you can connect a cable to it?

No idea if it has a quad inb:confused:, the dish and box (triax) were bought together. I will check and see when I am down. Would it possible to put a splitter on the cable entering the freesat box and run a second cable from this to the Saorview tv instead of running a new cable directly from the dish....

thanks again for the info

shblob wrote: »
    The tri-link is a better option if possible

cheers will look into this;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Would it possible to put a splitter on the cable entering the freesat box and run a second cable from this to the Saorview tv instead of running a new cable directly from the dish....

It's certainly possible but it won't work as expected because both receivers will be fighting for control of the LNB.

No idea if it has a quad inb:confused:, the dish and box (triax) were bought together. I will check and see when I am down. Would it possible to put a splitter on the cable entering the freesat box and run a second cable from this to the Saorview tv instead of running a new cable directly from the dish....

thanks again for the info

You can't split the cable,if it doesn't have a quad they can be picked up pretty cheap.

Here's an example of one (used with Sky dish)
    401020-large.jpg

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    You can't split the cable,if it doesn't have a quad they can be picked up pretty cheap.

Here's an example of one (used with Sky dish)
    401020-large.jpg

Cheers Zerks, will go for this option

Advertisement