Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abbeyfield Hotel - Ballaghaderreen

• 17-01-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Just wondered if anyone knows what the story is with the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen? Has it shut down or is it now only open on a weekend??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 coggy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭baldbear

Looks like the hotel is back opening.

Who owns it?Nama? They must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nope.

somebody else bought it as far as I know - recently too
    would be interesting to know who

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Nope.

This is the general gist of what's happening. I read somewhere earlier that a "Cork based consortium" had bought the premises.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0106/843183-ballaghaderreen-roscommon-refugees/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Hmmm, well that happened quickly. And what a surprise, in a constituency with no government (Fine Gael) TD's. A kick in the stones for Ming and the lads. Now, as ye have proved that ye are fine upstanding Christian citizens in the marriage referendum, sure ye won't mind taking a few more when the relations arrive...

• Advertisement

Hmmm, well that happened quickly. And what a surprise, in a constituency with no government (Fine Gael) TD's. A kick in the stones for Ming and the lads. Now, as ye have proved that ye are fine upstanding Christian citizens in the marriage referendum, sure ye won't mind taking a few more when the relations arrive...

what has a marriage referendum got to do with it?

Roscommon has a MINISTER

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nope.

The disused hotel in Ballaghaderreen that is to be turned into a emergency reception centre was acquired by a development company that has also bought a number of other properties in the Co Roscommon town.

Combin Properties Limited, c/o Remcoll Capital, Bandon, Co Cork, bought the former 40-bed Abbeyfield Hotel in July 2015.

It is understood an associated company also acquired more than 50 houses in the nearby River Oaks estate for about €500,000 last year. Combin is not a registered Irish company. There is a company of that name in Bermuda.

what has a marriage referendum got to do with it?

Roscommon has a MINISTER

Not towing the line and voting against the main parties policy on gay marriage. Which is "they're all for it." How dare they.

The govt minister you speak of is not a member of the FG party. FG do not want to deal with non party members in govt. They have to. So dumping refugees in the constituency isn't going to help that particular minister's chances of being reelected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Geuze wrote: »
    The disused hotel in Ballaghaderreen that is to be turned into a emergency reception centre was acquired by a development company that has also bought a number of other properties in the Co Roscommon town.

Combin Properties Limited, c/o Remcoll Capital, Bandon, Co Cork, bought the former 40-bed Abbeyfield Hotel in July 2015.

It is understood an associated company also acquired more than 50 houses in the nearby River Oaks estate for about €500,000 last year. Combin is not a registered Irish company. There is a company of that name in Bermuda.

Interesting! I wonder when the tender for the Dept of justice was put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Interesting! I wonder when the tender for the Dept of justice was put out.

Expressions of interest were to be received by Dept of Justice by 23rd October 2015.
    I don't know when it was advertised.

• Advertisement

So this facility wouldn't have been available at the time to express an interest in housing refugees

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not towing the line and voting against the main parties policy on gay marriage. Which is "they're all for it." How dare they.

The govt minister you speak of is not a member of the FG party. FG do not want to deal with non party members in govt. They have to. So dumping refugees in the constituency isn't going to help that particular minister's chances of being reelected.

Stop posting absolute garbage.I'd safely say this will have absolutely no consequences to the minister you mention getting reelected.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Stop posting absolute garbage.I'd safely say this will have absolutely no consequences to the minister you mention getting reelected.

I'll post what I want. You obviously know fcuk all about politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

So this facility wouldn't have been available at the time to express an interest in housing refugees

Interesting

It would have been available if purchased in July 2015 as reported.

However it would have been a big gamble by the buyers especially if they didn't get the contract from Dept Justice. Would be interesting to see the recommendation by Dept officials.

I'll post what I want. You obviously know fcuk all about politics.

How many people will be employed in the re opened hotel to cater for these refugees

It's safe to presume the ex FG minister will be re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roscommmon1980

A cousin of mine who lives there says the reception overall is positive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

B'hadereen is a rather small town. Pop less than 1800

Limited amenities

Numbers announced have initially been 80. Now reference to another 120 approx.

Plus relations later.

This experiment would be better suited to a larger centre.

Anyone know how many are planned for Zappone's constituency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nuac wrote: »
    B'hadereen is a rather small town. Pop less than 1800

Limited amenities

Numbers announced have initially been 80. Now reference to another 120 approx.

Plus relations later.

This experiment would be better suited to a larger centre.

Anyone know how many are planned for Zappone's constituency?

luckily NAMA weren't selling any empty hotels up that way recently

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    luckily NAMA weren't selling any empty hotels up that way recently

Perhaps not, but no doubt other towns are being targetted. As long as they are a long way from Zappone's constitiency.

Some places in UK are now Moslem enclaves.

We should be careful of politicians seeking to build their own image at the expense of unsuspecting communities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nuac wrote: »
    Perhaps not, but no doubt other towns are being targetted. As long as they are a long way from Zappone's constitiency.

Some places in UK are now Moslem enclaves.

We should be careful of politicians seeking to build their own image at the expense of unsuspecting communities

a lot of syrians are christians

• Advertisement

• nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a lot of syrians are christians

10%, before the war, according to Wiki.

Impossible to assess at the moment, due to persecution.

Interesting article, here:

http://europe.newsweek.com/christians-face-purge-syria-413463?rm=eu

Advertisement