Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell or not tell

Options
  • 08-10-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi there I’m written this because I spotted something on a local second hand everything for sale kinda app (trying very hard there not to mention the name of the app) there’s an advert put up on there by someone for a pair of trainers he’s selling for €200, there second hand of course, even if he says he has never worn them.
    Thing is I looked them up online and you can buy them in a shop, brand new for €140. Should I ruin his advert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Offer him a Tenner and wait for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Midster wrote: »
    Hi there I’m written this because I spotted something on a local second hand everything for sale kinda app (trying very hard there not to mention the name of the app) there’s an advert put up on there by someone for a pair of trainers he’s selling for €200, there second hand of course, even if he says he has never worn them.
    Thing is I looked them up online and you can buy them in a shop, brand new for €140. Should I ruin his advert?

Who really cares either way? Check if there are rules about spoiling sales but otherwise do what you like. It's a free world for him to sell them at 200 if he likes and down to buyers to see if they're willing to pay that sort of money.

I'd imagine however anyone savvy enough to use an app to buy online is also competent enough to check the retail price of the same product elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Just seems a bit of a deliberate rip off price to me.
    Hoping someone doesn’t notice, doesn’t look and falls in love with the trainers comes across as unscrupulous, and a d**k thing to do.
    If the actions of d***s were spotted by those who are not d***s, who then warned others who also were not d***s, then the d***s of the world would then be forced to behave a bit better. And not try ripping people off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Caveat emptor. :rolleyes:

Endorsing this behavior does nothing to strengthen either mine, or anyone else’s belief in general a mode of kindness, fairness and honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Maybe it's a gay foot fetish thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Let the market decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

You wouldn't see me parting with 200€ for a pair of runners. If your spending that much and not shopping around. Then goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are they magic runners or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are they magic runners or something?
    Probably drug runners.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I think there's a strong probability the listing is future evidence to show a source of income for lots of unexplained cash.

Btw, are the shoes in their original box, or a 50 bag? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would imagine anyone who is wealthy enough to spend €200 on a pair of trainers will be aware of the price of them and will have priced them elsewhere.

Let him ask whatever he wants, they’re not likely to sell if they’re grossly overpriced and not even brand new.

The collaboration trainers between Kanye west and adidas. The most expensive I’ve seen so far have a retail price of €4628

Offer him two PlayStation games and an iPhone 3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

When I think about all those poor slave kids in east asia making runners in sweat shops for 5c an hour, I wonder how anyone can justify selling them on for €140.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Is the 140 a special offer or the normal RRP? Maybe he paid over 200 for them and doesn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Swap for my '99 Punto?

No there the lowest priced ones in that range that I can find. There rrp is 140, he’s selling them for 200

Second hand!!

When I think about all those poor slave kids in east asia making runners in sweat shops for 5c an hour, I wonder how anyone can justify selling them on for €140.

I wonder how any company can justify selling a pair of trainers for more than a hundred. And jeans as well, I mean what the hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cant collect, can you meet me in belmullet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

My ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

No there the lowest priced ones in that range that I can find. There rrp is 140, he’s selling them for 200

Second hand!!

It might have something to do with his carbon footprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Second hand!!

What if he's poor and selling these will let him put food on the table for his family for another week or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Esel wrote: »
    Probably drug runners.

The last drug runners I bought I’ve no idea what they were laced with. Was tripping for days.

retalivity wrote: »
    Cant collect, can you meet me in belmullet?

Read my ad, collection only!!!

:P

Advertisement