Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant Pot Cooker 60% off on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Holy Duck wrote: »
    Would this be similar to, better than kefir grains?

It's just a good pro-biotic yogurt that goes down well with everyone. I think Kefir might be somewhat different, with maybe even more health benefits? I've made Kefir in the past, but it's a bit sour and I could never keep up with the amount that was exponential in quantity. Kombucha is another option, though no IP needed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Where do I get muslin cloth for yogurt making?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

comment wrote: »
    Are these not the same (or similar) as the King Pressure Pro 5 litre which are available in did for €69.99? It’s also a slow cooker/pressure cooker. Might be an option for some
    I think that one has no yogurt feature, that is what made me go for the instant pot. Be sure to stir the milk as it can burn at the bottom. Cans of evaporated milk can be used for thicker yogurt (not condensed milk, evaportaed), it is also preheated so no need for the inital boil.

There is now a instantpot that goes to 15psi, for faster cooking and canning.

There is also a ninja brand, the blender people, which is a combined airfryer, pressure cooker and dehydrator.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Came across this Ninja Foodi, which is an electric pressure cooker but also airfryer and dehydrator. Looks to me like a jack of all trades, master of none. The reviewer gets huge praise in the comments for the non nonsense reviewing style

250 in argos
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9372753/Trail/searchtext%3EFOODI.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rubadub wrote: »
    I think that one has no yogurt feature, that is what made me go for the instant pot. Be sure to stir the milk as it can burn at the bottom. Cans of evaporated milk can be used for thicker yogurt (not condensed milk, evaportaed), it is also preheated so no need for the inital boil.

There is now a instantpot that goes to 15psi, for faster cooking and canning.

There is also a ninja brand, the blender people, which is a combined airfryer, pressure cooker and dehydrator.

€220on Amazon

Where do I get muslin cloth for yogurt making?

I got it locally in a fabric shop but it's also available on Amazon or anywhere that sells jam making stuff, for example. You can line a colander with it or make/buy a muslin bag.

If you're stuck, a good clean sterilised pillowcase does the job too. I've heard some people even use the leg of a new pair of tights too :D

Incidentally, you don't HAVE to strain the yogurt at all - it's fine just as yogurt once chilled. I love the thick Greek stuff though, so that's what we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Ben Done wrote: »
    Be good if someone could start a thread in Food & Drink forum to share recipes and tips, like the one set up after a good few people on here bought the Airfryer

This would be great thread. I have had my Instant Pot for just over a year and use it a couple of times a week. It's one of the best bits of kit I have.
    I did use mine for yoghurt a while back, and yes, it's very nice. But I realised you can now get some very good commercial ones without all the fuss. Also, once you have your yoghurt working away in the pot, you can't use it for anything else and it does take some time, unless you have a second pot.
    I realised when I started using the Instant Pot, there are lots of things you CAN do it it, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD. The suggestion about boiled eggs being one :D

twignme wrote: »
    I realised when I started using the Instant Pot, there are lots of things you CAN do it it, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD. The suggestion about boiled eggs being one :D

I agree with that mostly - I'm on a Facebook page (purely for the recipes and tips) and the number of people who ask to have recipes converted for things that just aren't worth it is phenomenal (eg instant cake mixes!)

However, in relation to the eggs, I always do my hard-boiled eggs in the IP. The shells literally fall off, as opposed to picking them off with half the white attached.

And I have two pots now, though I always make my yogurt at night ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Got mine this morning, have a beef stew in it (i really love stew don't judge me). I have the screen pointed towards the door so I can keep in and see it's going, I'm scared my foods going to end up welded to the ceiling :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

[QUOTE=RoYoBo;111107851

And I have two pots now, though I always make my yogurt at night ....[/QUOTE]

I think you are right RoYoBo, having two pots is the way to go but I haven’t got around to buying another one yet. A useful item i do have is a bowl that will fit in well for pot-in-pot cooking. I do my steel cut oats in the IP, get it all ready the night before and it’s done by the time I’m downstairs. It wouldn’t work as well directly in the main pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Any recommendations on accessory packs?

From reading online the trivet that comes isn't tall enough for cooking something on top of pasta for example

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on accessory packs?

From reading online the trivet that comes isn't tall enough for cooking something on top of pasta for example

I have a number of accessories that I use regularly. Amazon has a great collection of things - some cheaper than others. I have a stainless steel pot insert that is actually a dog's dish! Never used as such, though :pac:

See here for possibilities and alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I am assuming the yogurt ye are talking about is plain yogurt with no fruit.
    Has anyone ever added those frozen berry mixes to their yogurt.

You can add whatever flavourings or fruit you like after the yogurt is made. Doing it beforehand disrupts the culturing process. My favourite at the moment is lemon curd and chocolate shavings :)

https://www.wellplated.com/instant-pot-beef-stew/

Made this today and the pot was licked clean. Nothing super out of the ordinary ingredients wise, I added more veg like mushrooms and parsnips etc. Really nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Ah, they're always full of sh1t. Literal sh1t.

How many warnings about them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Quick question lads.
    Missus got this but is saying it takes 25mins-30mins just to build pressure . Is that right? You got to wait 30mins before you can use it?

honda boi wrote: »
    Quick question lads.
    Missus got this but is saying it takes 25mins-30mins just to build pressure . Is that right? You got to wait 30mins before you can use it?

depends how much you put in. It goes up to about 15psi which is 121C and then backs off down to 12psi. It is only half the power of an average kettle, or less.

So if you put in a big stew with loads of liquid it will take a lot longer than if you just put in half a pint of water and a few potatoes. You could boil your added water in a kettle to speed it up.

honda boi wrote: »
    Quick question lads.

The name 'Instant Pot' is a bit of a misnomer really. Yes, you have to wait until pressure is reached before actual cooking begins. Ditto afterwards to allow pressure to reduce, either quickly by releasing steam manually, or slowly by allowing it to happen naturally.

However, the BIG advantage for the IP is the fact that once you put the ingredients into the pot the rest happens automatically. You can use a timer to allow it to start/end when you like or just go away, have a glass of wine and watch TV while your dinner cooks away by itself.

The added time to reach/release pressure is more obvious for things that cook relatively quickly, eg rice, pasta, spuds etc. For things like stews, curries, broths, tough meats etc, that added time is balanced by the shorter cooking time. I just factor these times into my cooking plans and never really notice them now - too busy sipping with my feet up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

can anyone help me, i tried to do some of that stew a previous poster posted about, but it was too watery, so i added a bit more granules, now whenever i try to start it on the stew process, it goes to 6.00 hours and nothing happens.
    im lost

its doing it for every thing, soup yogurt....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

God....our impulse buy of almost a year ago is gathering dust! I must dig it out!

• Advertisement

can anyone help me, i tried to do some of that stew a previous poster posted about, but it was too watery, so i added a bit more granules, now whenever i try to start it on the stew process, it goes to 6.00 hours and nothing happens.
    im lost

It's possible you've mistakenly put it on timer, ie not due to actually start cooking for 6 hours? Have a look through the manual and try to reset everything and turn the timer off.

Had a look at my older IP and the 6 hours thing comes up if you press Timer, which is the delay start option for sure. On the newer version, it's called Delay Start and also has a default of 6 hours. I'm pretty sure that's what's happened to you - just press Cancel, plug it out and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

looks great, i like the look of the one that has a sous vide function, sure where would you be going without a bit of sousvide-ing of an evening.

gussieg wrote: »
    looks great, i like the look of the one that has a sous vide function, sure where would you be going without a bit of sousvide-ing of an evening.

I have the sous vide gadget accessory for the IP :o - a great job for steaks, especially for a crowd of different folk who like options from blue to incinerated! You can use it in bigger containers than the pot itself - I did a huge beef roast over 30 hours a while back that was divine. A turkey crown at Xmas was the best we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Sounds yum. Which sous vide gadget accessory do you use for steak please? Share a link and I will try to order also.

Also, if there are "must have" accessories pack then please let me know.
    RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have the sous vide gadget accessory for the IP :o - a great job for steaks, especially for a crowd of different folk who like options from blue to incinerated! You can use it in bigger containers than the pot itself - I did a huge beef roast over 30 hours a while back that was divine. A turkey crown at Xmas was the best we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Two questions which are sort of one lol.
    Sausages, can they be cooked to come out lovely n brown/black?
    Whole chicken, same question ish, crispy skin etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Liamalone wrote: »

Not really. You can crisp things first using saute, but by its nature the pressure cooker needs liquid, which means steam, which means no crispy!

Also for those talking about time taken to come to pressure. Always remember to use fresh boiled water/stock etc and it will come to pressure much quicker. Mine never takes more than 10 minutes these days. Less if I'm only doing a small batch of something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Liamalone wrote: »

Sausages are more of an air fryer thing. They're really good coming out of that

That recipe was pressure cooking, did you use the pressure cooking mode?

The recipe kept saying the word stew but never said to use the stew setting.

If you pressure cooked then it would have been over 100C while cooking and when finished would have remained around 100C for a good while, or just under. So if you have a pot near 100C and then selected the stew option nothing would happen since it was too hot, the unit was waiting for itself to cool down to whatever the stewing temp was (my guess is mid 80s).

Water will be released from meat when cooking so when adding liquids at the start you have to go easy. I was saying I added meat with NO added water and did a slow cook function first, this released loads of liquid from the meat, ennough to be able to pressure cook it with no additional water.

People used to making stews on a hob might add lots of liquid at the start, to compensate for all the liquid being boiled off, it is remarkable how much liquid comes out of meat when cooking, and when there is little to no moisture being boiled off the end result will be watery if you do not account for it.

im lost

Hey! If you're talking about the one I posted. When you have sautéd everything off as the recipe mentions you should just get the pressure pot by pressing the "Pressure Cook" button until the light on the scale above it goes to "Normal" - The screen should read 35:00 (signifying 35 minutes of cooking time at pressure). Once this was done was stew was thick but I like it very thick so I added the cornflour and water slurry to thicken it up :)

• Advertisement

Sounds yum. Which sous vide gadget accessory do you use for steak please? Share a link and I will try to order also.

Also, if there are "must have" accessories pack then please let me know.

I bought my Sous Vide from the Instant Pot UK site in a sale - it doesn't seem to be available any more. Amazon have a number of others available with good prices ranging from £59 up, so it's a case of take your pick. All of the smaller ones will fit in the IP - they don't depend on it, so can be used in any suitable container.

As for 'must have accessories', I don't think there are that many per se. You can use your ingenuity and devise alternatives where possible. I bought a spare pot before I got my second IP and I bought a clear glass lid too - you might find though, that a pan lid you already have will fit. As I said before, I use a (new) dog's dish for pot in pot recipes and a stainless steel basket for spuds that was originally a colander. My most recent accessory is a silicone egg bites mould.

For those folk looking for recipes, hints and tips, there's a UK Facebook group that is very helpful. I'm not a fan of FB in general, but groups such as these are invaluable to gain knowledge and information. If you've had a problem, you can guarantee that someone else has had it too and knows the solution.

Advertisement