Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring _ snow virgin

• 15-09-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just got details of the Christmas party... At least the first phase. It's three days in Italy skiing. I'm actually planning to take the snowboarding option, partly because it makes sense to me as I skated as a kid, and secondly because I have dodgy knees and skiing is meant to be hard on the knees...

What's the deal with gear, I know it's possible to rent, but is it better to have my own? I was looking at mountain warehouse, and while they are not the fines quality, they will no doubt get me through the three days and possibly another trip in the future, so I can replace one or two items... Between online discounts, special offer codes and loyalty programs they can be reasonable.

Is it a good strategy?

I don't plan to get boots, I presume I'll be okay to rent them?

Helmets... Do people wear them? I actually have a bern helmet for the bike which is rated for snow sports, but do I need to lugg it with me?

What do I need?
    Jacket?
    Trousers?
    Thermals (Marino)?
    Socks?
    Gloves?
    Hat?
    Neck thingy?

If I'm gonna buy I want to do it before the retail season begins, to get the best prices...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Will I need goggles or sunglasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If it's your first time there's no need to buy anything expensive as you don't know if you'll make use of it again, although you most likely will!
    The necessities are: jacket (which you probably have already if you live in Ireland), ski pants, ski gloves, ski goggles and a hat. Suncream is also necessary as any skin exposed is at risk of getting badly burnt at those altitudes. You could get away with sunglasses if you don't fall often, but as a beginner, you'll be falling plenty!

Aside from that what's very useful are thermals and ski socks. A helmet is definitely not essential as a beginner, but many people wear them regardless (I personally don't on-piste).
    A neck-thingy (or snood/balaclava) is down to personal preference. I wear a balaclava as my lips get chapped quite a bit and to also not have to apply suncream.
    Waterproof boots/shoes are also handy, especially if it'll be snowing when you're there. Also, bring spare socks for after skiing as the pair you'll have on will stink from the boots/sweat!

You can rent boots and skis/snowboard when you get there.

One last thing, a backpack! You get de-hydrated quite quickly so water is important. Bring about a litre with you and sip away at it whenever you're on a lift. Re-fill then at lunch.

Lidl, Aldi and TK-Maxx are great for getting ski gear on the cheap.

And enjoy! If you're going with a group of beginners you'll have a good laugh - especially on the first day.

Thanks Big Pussy, I'm gonna try to keep the cost as low as possible. Good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I would say goggles are a necessity. Thermals are optional, I am warm by default, so I never wear thermals, but my wife does. So you will know yourself if they will be applicable.

Do not skimp on gloves and pants.
    As a beginner you will spend a lot of time on your ass and getting up. Wet gloves and a wet a$$ will ruin your day.
    You don't have to spend big bucks to get good water proof gear but do your home work on your purchases.

Diemos wrote: »
    I would say goggles are a necessity. Thermals are optional, I am warm by default, so I never wear thermals, but my wife does. So you will know yourself if they will be applicable.

Do not skimp on gloves and pants.
    As a beginner you will spend a lot of time on your ass and getting up. Wet gloves and a wet a$$ will ruin your day.
    You don't have to spend big bucks to get good water proof gear but do your home work on your purchases.

I'm actually more worried about being warm than cold... Having said that, I picked up some merino wool thermals (merino should deal with different temps okay) from Mountain Warehouse... They seem to get mixed reviews, but for the basics should be fine. I've avoided temptation so far and have kept to the lower end of the price scale on everything, but I've just burned through a large wedge of cash... For three days of snow...

Picked up Bolle goggles, they get great reviews, are cheap... the biggest problem I had was deciding on a lens colour. Went for an amber, with a rating of 2 which should be usable in allot of conditions. They'll do at least for this season, if I ever go again, I can upgrade some stuff if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

A helmet is definitely not essential as a beginner, but many people wear them regardless (I personally don't on-piste)

Any bad crash where my helmet has been of use has been on piste. You will be on beginner pistes with a mixture of total beginers and a lot of people who aren't as good as they think they are.

I dont want to totally derail the thread, but I'd strongly recommend a helmet.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend a helmet.

I have a Bern bike helmet that I think is rated for snow... I'll bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah, a helmet is an essential bit of kit imo

I have complete confidence in my own ability on the snow, it's other people on the slopes I'd be worried about

This is getting out of control... now the gang in work are organising lessons... I'll end up spending all my money getting ready to go on a 3 day holiday...

Still looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Bluefoam wrote: »
    This is getting out of control... now the gang in work are organising lessons... I'll end up spending all my money getting ready to go on a 3 day holiday...

Still looking forward to it though.

I was dreading my first time skiing. I'd zero interest. My girlfriend went every year with her family, so I was going along this Christmas. Resented spending so much money on something I reckoned I'd hate.

That was 2006. Now we're married, and we've been going twice a year ever since. If you get the bug, it's one of the most enjoyable holidays you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you're learning to snowboard I can't over emphasise the importance of protective gear - knee pads, wrist guards, helmet and padded shorts. My lasting memory from one of my first trips was an absolute searing white pain in both knees, after a long day spent landing on my knees on packed snow, it nearly ruined the rest of the trip for me, but I bought pads the following day. The padded shorts will also help keep your ass dry, as you'll be spending a lot of time sitting down on the slope.

Good protective gear can be expensive though. If you're not sure you're going to continue it, maybe buy cheaper stuff on the likes of Ali Express. Not sure I'd recommend a cheap helmet though, you'll probably have a few faceplants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

What do I need?
    Jacket? - yes, good irish waterproof jacket will suffice
    Trousers? - buy salopettes (or are there snowboard specific trousers cormee?) - probably go with a cheap pair of lidl ones in case you don't end up liking it
    Thermals (Marino)? - as above, depends on preference, and time of year, you will almost never need thermal leggings, you will be able to use a thermal top hiking here, cycling or even as pyjamas so no harm in buying
    Socks? Yes, one pair per day! You will use them again hiking
    Gloves? As pointed out, probably a good idea to have a not crap pair
    Hat? For night time maybe, not needed if you've helmet
    Neck thingy? Not a bad idea, particularly if its cold or windy. You can get, I think its called a snood, which doubles up as a hat if necessary, or basically a neck warner that is also a balaclava

Actually a good balaclava is a good idea, as it can be neck warmer, hat and face warner

If I'm gonna buy I want to do it before the retail season begins, to get the best prices..

I'd say lidl will beat those prices - but not sure of quality, suspect its utterly crap but if you're into it you can always get better gear later. You'll have a ball your first time regardless of gear

Now - are you telling me your office Christmas party is a 3 day ski trip??? That drunken tiger is back - time to sell that investment property methinks

a148pro wrote: »
    Now - are you telling me your office Christmas party is a 3 day ski trip??? That drunken tiger is back - time to sell that investment property methinks

It's actually four days... three days of skiing. But we also have a Christmas party at home in Ireland, one for our clients and one in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Christmas party skiing? Wtf? And it's just the first part?

What's the second part?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Christmas party skiing? Wtf? And it's just the first part?

What's the second part?
    A bit of craic and a few drinks...

My jacket has arrived and I really like it. Tonnes of features and looks great. It's a Mountain Warehouse jacket... But when I got it, the tags said 3000mm waterproof, which kinda worried me... Some shops say to have min 5000, but recommend 10000. Should I return it for something with a higher water proofing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Personally I would not get too hung up about the jacket. Pants are the really important part that you will need a higher numbe part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Diemos wrote: »
    Personally I would not get too hung up about the jacket. Pants are the really important part that you will need a higher numbe part.

Yeah, don't fret on details like that. You'll drive yourself insane - I know I did. One thing that is good to have on the jacket though, is a small pocket on the arm, so you can scan your lift pass with a swipe of the arm, when you're getting on a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yes, I have one in my glove and works well also

You rarely need waterproofing in a ski jacket, most of the water will be inside you from sweat so breathability a lot more important

Like all things outdoors, there is a whole amount of b s marketing associated with this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Padded shorts/pants, and wrist guards. Have been twice, and second time felt like a newbie altogether at times. Would definitely get them if I was to go again.

TK Max is great for stuff, and well worth the searching through rails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd recommend going for a few lessons before going. You'll be quicker getting the hang of it then and it'll make the whole thing more enjoyable.

blue note wrote: »
    I'd recommend going for a few lessons before going. You'll be quicker getting the hang of it then and it'll make the whole thing more enjoyable.

One of that lads in the office is sorting out group lessons in Sandyford.

Jaysus... I've spent the past couple of weeks seeing parcels arrive, with no current use. I hope this becomes something I do regularly... Glad I did it before the start of the season & before sale prices are finished. I've been lucky that everything i ordered fit me.

Jacket
    Trousers
    Goggles
    Gloves
    Hat
    Base Layers
    Padded Jocks
    Wrist Guards
    Knee Pads
    Socks

Is there anything more that I need, besides a helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Jaysus... I've spent the past couple of weeks seeing parcels arrive, with no current use. I hope this becomes something I do regularly... Glad I did it before the start of the season & before sale prices are finished. I've been lucky that everything i ordered fit me.

Jacket
    Trousers
    Goggles
    Gloves
    Hat
    Base Layers
    Padded Jocks
    Wrist Guards
    Knee Pads
    Socks

LOL at the padded jocks, but I'm a skier, not a boarder :D
    I'd be lost without a buff for around my chin/nose, for those really cold days, especially on the chair lifts.

add:
    Buff?
    Braces?

If I was any good, I'dd be attaching a couple of GoPros to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

+100 on the ar$epads, snowboarding is minus craic when learning and doing it with a bruised tailbone would drive you away from it.

I would definitely recommend getting up to Sandyford or Kilternan for some basic lessons before you go - a few evenings up there will get you passed the absolute basics so you won't need to waste a day or two of your holiday just learning how to strap into the board and also you'll have an idea of the basic movement of the board.

Your list looks good - But I strongly suggest a helmet & wrist protectors! edit* sorry, you have these covered :)

When learning I acquired a concussion - while wearing a helmet, probably would have had a cracked skull without it!

I also wear a hydration backpack, but probably best leave that till you start falling a little less :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Jerry Greasy Teacup

The most essential piece of kit is a helmet as a beginner. Some may think that you may not really need it within the first couple of hours as you are not going to be doing a whole lot as a beginner. Probably learning to use the edges and simple turns. It's possible that the instructor will not take you if you don't have a helmet.

I am a little late to the thread, but you should be able to rent everything at the slope. I have yet to see a slope without a rental stall.

I don't think I seen any mention of socks, apart from your list. Get good padded socks for snowboarding. You only need one pair, it will do you for 2 or 3 days.

I have purchased some expensive base layers for snowboarding and only ever used them once.

If you can, get some suspenders for your pants. When you slide down the hill, and you will, your jacket will act as a scoop and all that lovely snow will end up gathering around the top of your pants. When your kidneys get cold, it's a very uncomfortable feeling.

Enjoy yourself, snowboarding is great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Jacket
    Trousers
    Goggles
    Gloves
    Hat
    Base Layers
    Padded Jocks
    Wrist Guards
    Knee Pads
    Socks

Can I ask where you got the gear from?
    Also did you get the helmet and braces?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

I got most of my stuff from sport direct and it's all been excellent. Try on brands in the shop or in another shop before buying for sizes.

And there are permanent sales. Bare in mind the sale price is the actual price.

• Advertisement

Carnmore wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the gear from?
    Also did you get the helmet and braces?

I bought mostly online. At the moment they are still selling off last years stock, so big items like jacket wear cheap enough... for instance, I got a branded 10000 rainprrof, 10,000 breathable jacket for €80. None of the stores I tried had anything in stock at the time. They were waiting for the new stock to come in before they put anything on display.

I originally bought a Jacket in Mountain Warehouse & while I really liked it, it was only rated 3,000 so I sent it back.

I did buy braces... they are the Dakine ones seem great.

Helmet... I have a cycling helmet (pisspot style) that is rated for snow use... going to bring that.

Advertisement