Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst/best thing to happen to you in life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CQD wrote: »
    Can I ask why?..I'd probably have a touch of it myself if I'm honest..dont really see much benefit in being diagnosed though..
    banie01 wrote: »
    I don't want to presuppose another poster, but I'd hazard a guess that being diagnosed after years of second guessing oneself as to mental capacity or illness?
    That having a diagnosis can put a whole new, and quite comforting slant on ones interactions?

well said, thank you

more or less, its giving me great insight into my own struggles in life and most likely reasons for other family members struggles, im luckily getting help from an autism outreach service, whereby im meeting others on the spectrum, and very well informed professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

banie01 wrote: »
    I don't want to presuppose another poster, but I'd hazard a guess that being diagnosed after years of second guessing oneself as to mental capacity or illness?
    That having a diagnosis can put a whole new, and quite comforting slant on ones interactions?

More than anything is empowers to act to help and support yourself. Before, you had no idea what was wrong and knew it was not what was being mooted. First thing I did was get on the internet and start learning and sorting. Not comforting, as in my case I was stunned and terrified, but truth is always a relief and a release.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    well said, thank you

more or less, its giving me great insight into my own struggles in life and most likely reasons for other family members struggles, im luckily getting help from an autism outreach service, whereby im meeting others on the spectrum, and very well informed professionals

There is a large cohort of folk in the 30 and above age bracket that are slowly discovering that what was boisterous or poor behaviour in school was very likely due to their being on the spectrum.

There was no ADD/ADHD or Autism spectrum recognised in Irish schools when I was going, and one of my brother's was probably the 1st to receive an official Irish diagnosis in the mid 90's.
    But that was only after Trojan work and research by my mother that at one stage even led to him being commited to Fairyhouse.

Glad to see a diagnosis and support have made a positive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Worst: Realising next year I'd have lived as many years without my Mam than with her. The thing about losing a parent as a teenager is that you never get over it, you just get on with it. But you have almost every life milestone and hurdle ahead of you without them, College Graduation, Marriage, Kids etc. They all just come up and smack you on the face when you're least expecting it.

Best: Getting married and starting a family.
    Also the feeling of knowing you've worked hard to get where you are now and it's all come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Worst: Losing my mam suddenly 3 months ago. Will never get over it :(

Best: Meeting my wife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

D3V!L wrote: »
    Worst: finding out I have Boneitis

Best: found out it was totally curable

New Worst: Forgetting to get the cure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

astrofool wrote: »
    New Worst: Forgetting to get the cure

Nope, didn't forget thankfully. I gave up my job at the brokerage to concentrate on a cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Worst: Depressive phases on and off before I got on medication.

Best: Meeting my OH-he's made me a better version of myself and even if down the road we part company I know he's had a lasting effect on me for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Worst: MND
    Best: my son and daughter and anytime I get to spend with them

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Worst: Telling my Grandad I'd call him tomorrow and not doing it. He unexpectedly died that night, I will live with that forever.

Best: I'm currently pregnant and feeling my baby kick is the best feeling I could ever imagine. If it's a boy, they will be named after my Grandad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Worst: Husband of 19 years doing a moonlight flit on me and my 4 boys.

Best: My 4 boys.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Best : Travelling around the world when I was 24 not a care in the world! I worked two jobs to save it took me 10 months to gather up enough money for the round the world open flight ticket! Couldn't possibly do that now young people are crippled with rent and taxes.

Worst : losing 2 close family members (not at the same time) one to cancer and the other a brain condition very hard to watch someone suffer and not be able to help in any way possible.
    Most other worst things that have happened me I always tried to flip it and say it could have been a lot worse and accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Worst: Husband of 19 years doing a moonlight flit on me and my 4 boys.

Best: My 4 boys.

I can only assume a moonlight is he left.
    That's awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Worst was touching a shiny silver screw inside an open lampost on my street aged 8.

Best is still happening, watching/listening to my near teenage kids knowing I've done a good job in raising them.

1. Please tell us the rest of the lampost story?
    2. Sorry to hear that your far away teenage kids are such bollocks's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My husband is the best thing that ever happened to me. I met him as a kid, we started dating as teenagers when my home life and sense of self worth was at its lowest he brought me back to life, everything good that's happened to me is because of him and he means the whole world to me.

Worst thing was the family I was born into but it all turned out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giggs76

best: winning a million euro in the lotto

worst:being to young and blowing it all with bad decisions except for i still own a house outright

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

giggs76 wrote: »
    best: winning a million euro in the lotto

worst:being to young and blowing it all with bad decisions except for i still own a house outright

Seriously?
    What kind of stuff did you blow it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Best thing: my babies, nothing has had such a profound affect on me or made me feel happier.

Wost: my parents sort of abandoned me with my grandparents (they were brilliant) when i was 5, they gave me the choice of where I wanted to stay... Nothing has had a bigger affect on me bar my kids.

Worst: Multiple family tragedies and close bereavements.

Best: Meeting my incredible partner and starting our lives together, the sheer luck of being born into a great family and all the advantages that solid foundation resulted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Worst: one of my uncles dying suddenly
    Best: graduating from university

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Best: Blessed with very good health. I don't have so much as a tooth filling after 41 years and never sick or spent time in hospital (football injuries do not count). No baldness or grey hair either and weigh the same as I did at 18. No close family members have died or been sick- a few granduncles died but they were all in their 90's.

Worst: Knowing that someday the above will be a distant memory (hopefully we get to live that long).

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

several of the worst, when my parents had passed away i realised i'd never sat down and had a good chat with them, always too busy,although i did see them every day it's just something that sticks in my head, also finding out my wife was unfaithful with a so called friend of mine.
    Best. my children watching them grow up, adults now with their own kids, their my life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Worst: Breaking up with Ex (9 year relationship) after I found out she'd been having an affair
    Best: Having a Son and breaking up with Ex (9 year relationship) after I found out she'd been having an affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Best: I cant think of a 'best thing in my life'. I have never been happy in my life. Of course good things happened, like graduating from university, getting hired for jobs, getting promotions, traveling to Brazil for research for my studies, going on nice vacations. But I have never been truly happy.

Worst: Probably being diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease, though many other bad things have happened as well. It's hard to pick honestly. Maybe I should pick 'moving to Ireland', hah. Nah kidding it's grand here but I'd wish the job market in my home country was better so I could return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

machaseh wrote: »
    Best: I cant think of a 'best thing in my life'. I have never been happy in my life. Of course good things happened, like graduating from university, getting hired for jobs, getting promotions, traveling to Brazil for research for my studies, going on nice vacations. But I have never been truly happy.

Worst: Probably being diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease, though many other bad things have happened as well. It's hard to pick honestly. Maybe I should pick 'moving to Ireland', hah. Nah kidding it's grand here but I'd wish the job market in my home country was better so I could return.

What eye disease was it? Eye floaters, glacuoma, macular degeneration?

Are you from Marrakesh in Morocco? (judging by your username)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Worst - lost my Dad when I was very young. I have kids of my own now and I wish so much he was around to see them.
    Best - 2 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Worst: all of this within a 6 week period last year wife's mother died a week after her sister got married then her granny died a month later and just to top it off the sister was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer.

Best: Sister in law has the all clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Best: Meeting my husband and getting married

Worse: Burying him to suicide after being married for 3 years and 9 months. I have never got over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Worst: My entire family torn apart by something I was partly responsible for and trying to rebuild the tiny tiny pieces of the wreckage.

Best: Realising you have the power in you to change anything you aren't happy with, but that came a long time after.

• Advertisement

Best: Meeting my husband and getting married

Worse: Burying him to suicide after being married for 3 years and 9 months. I have never got over it.

I am so sorry.

Advertisement