Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

OK not extraordinary as revealed in the cold light of soberness ,worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Been listening to The Lamb by Lala Lala a lot this week. Worth a listen.

Been listening to The Lamb by Lala Lala a lot this week. Worth a listen.

she is the female smoko

posted before just a great song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

St. Vincent has released a stripped down piano based version of MASSEDUCATION, called, unsurprisingly, MassEducation.

It's a mixed bag so far, in my view. Some of the songs really work when slowed down and stripped back but others, mainly the faster and busier tunes don't really work for me when they cut back into skeleton form. It's an interesting experiment nonetheless and some of those songs like "Slow, Slow Disco" are brilliant.

Also because the instrumentation is so relatively sparse St. Vincent has allowed her voice to come to the fore and a thing that's often overlooked about her is that she's a great singer - she adds a lot of depth and pathos to some of these songs just with the added emotion of her voice alone. Totally worth a listen, even if it doesn't all work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭mosstin

Arghus wrote: »
    St. Vincent has released a stripped down piano based version of MASSEDUCATION, called, unsurprisingly, MassEducation.

It's a mixed bag so far, in my view. Some of the songs really work when slowed down and stripped back but others, mainly the faster and busier tunes don't really work for me when they cut back into skeleton form. It's an interesting experiment nonetheless and some of those songs like "Slow, Slow Disco" are brilliant.

Also because the instrumentation is so relatively sparse St. Vincent has allowed her voice to come to the fore and a thing that's often overlooked about her is that she's a great singer - she adds a lot of depth and pathos to some of these songs just with the added emotion of her voice alone. Totally worth a listen, even if it doesn't all work.

Nice one. Agreed re her voice. Seen quite a few state they've been left cold by Masseduction but I loved it. New version of Slow Disco is lovely.

OK not extraordinary as revealed in the cold light of soberness ,worth a listen.

flipping back and forth but some class tunes on it ..an album of the year contender certainly.

New Cloud Nothings record Last Building Burning out today. Super, super album.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cranks wrote: »
    A lot of you clearly have your finger on various musical pulses and a lot are keen to be informed (me included).

What album have you come across in the month since release that is worth a listen?

For me - Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben.

Weird!

Default page went back to the first one there.

I certainly hope you're all gonna head in tonight?

New album from Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want - is released tomorrow, their first in eight years. They still sound great, a massively underrated band. Fans of IDLES should enjoy this.

I remember being blown away by their last one. At the time I'd never heard anything like it. It still has the ability to blow my mind. Hopefully they'll get their due for being totally awesome this time around. Here's one from back in the day -

• Advertisement

Surprised there isn't more love for that Daughters album, it really is immense. Album of the year material IMO.

Anyway, Julia Holter has a new one out Aviary. Hard to know what to make of it so far. It's a whopper, coming in at 90 minutes in length. I was afraid she was becoming a bit safe and boring, but she appears to have gone off into "difficult" territory with this one. May be no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭mosstin

Surprised there isn't more love for that Daughters album, it really is immense. Album of the year material IMO.

Anyway, Julia Holter has a new one out Aviary. Hard to know what to make of it so far. It's a whopper, coming in at 90 minutes in length. I was afraid she was becoming a bit safe and boring, but she appears to have gone off into "difficult" territory with this one. May be no bad thing.

I really liked her last one after disliking Loud City Song. Only given this a couple of listens so far and she is stretching it on this one. I don't think that I'm patient enough to wade through it all.

Absolutely a contender for album of the year. I've had it on repeat since it came out. Superb album.

Absolutely a contender for album of the year. I've had it on repeat since it came out. Superb album.

Few things its definately not an easy listen ..the name of the band well if you search for daughter lyrics its pages of pages of pearl jam lyrics ..dunno didnt grab me

Ryley Walker's record The Lillywhite Sessions out last Friday is proving to be quite a good album on a first listen. Camila Fuchs new record Heart Pressed between stones is worth a listen. Really reminded me of early Bjork stuff. Two decent albums released last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

New Cloud Nothings record Last Building Burning out today. Super, super album.
    I'm really enjoying this album at the moment. It's a big departure from their previous album Life Without Sound, which was very safe and mediocre, and more like the chaotic post-hardcore parts of Attack on Memory.

A possible late contender for album of the year.. This One’s For The Dancer & This One’s For The Dancer’s Bouquet wolf parades spencer krug aka moonface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

New redneck manifesto album is feckin class

Yes it fcuking is!

Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - De Facto. Discovered this band yetserday and their new album, have it on repeat since then.

This is one of my favourite tracks on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - De Facto. Discovered this band yetserday and their new album, have it on repeat since then.

This is one of my favourite tracks on the album.

First good album this year(that I've come across)

Fffiiinnnaalllllyyyy...

It was only released 28min ago but not since I bought "OK Cowboy" by Vitalic in 2004 have I awaited a late night listen with such glee.

"I'm Not Here [Missing Face]" was already my favourite song from 2018 (well that and Pional- (Tempest"). And given the amount of times I've listened to it and still listen to it it's not surprising.

Subsequently, "Videograms" and then "Vtr" showed the promise of what the new album had in store for us...

Seeing them support The Cure in London in July and then visiting Paris to see them in November cemented their place. If you've not

I'm only 3 songs in (plus the 3 I already knew) (plus what they played live) and I can say (despite my adoration and bias) it's astounding!

This should be the soundtrack to your Friday.

The Twilight Sad- It Won't Be Like This All The Time

https://open.spotify.com/album/6yeitgWpug7poDRRMPRb2i?si=BG1zJiBjTYegQMLjw9xHrA

The Twilight Sad- I'm Not Here [Missing Face]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New James Blake also out today. Should be lovely.

And Sharon Van Etten

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

And Steve Mason!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and Deerhunter (co-produced by the excellent Cate Le Bon)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Fffiiinnnaalllllyyyy...

It was only released 28min ago but not since I bought "OK Cowboy" by Vitalic in 2004 have I awaited a late night listen with such glee.

"I'm Not Here [Missing Face]" was already my favourite song from 2018 (well that and Pional- (Tempest"). And given the amount of times I've listened to it and still listen to it it's not surprising.

Subsequently, "Videograms" and then "Vtr" showed the promise of what the new album had in store for us...

Seeing them support The Cure in London in July and then visiting Paris to see them in November cemented their place. If you've not

I'm only 3 songs in (plus the 3 I already knew) (plus what they played live) and I can say (despite my adoration and bias) it's astounding!

This should be the soundtrack to your Friday.

The Twilight Sad- It Won't Be Like This All The Time

https://open.spotify.com/album/6yeitgWpug7poDRRMPRb2i?si=BG1zJiBjTYegQMLjw9xHrA

The Twilight Sad- I'm Not Here [Missing Face]

Love them...heard the streaming of the album last weekend on FB..Brilliant as ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Twilight Sad album sounds solid on a first listen but needs a few more spins to confirm how good it is.

The Deerhunter album is very different from what they've done previously, but only time will tell on whether is grows on me. My first reaction about hallway through it was that I felt like listening to Microcastle...

EDIT: Twilight Sad album is indeed class. Maybe their best yet

Some great records out today as mentioned here. Listening to the new Buke and Gase record Scholars which I'm really enjoying.

• Advertisement

Just had a listento 17 by sharon ..not impressed ..top comment is Sharon Van Springsteen!
    Not very alt/indie far as I can tell.Its not bad music but not something I will be listening to.
    Mike Kroll has a new album next week should be good and Priests sounding interesting with album in April.

Advertisement