Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honda Accord glow plug light flashing

• 01-12-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Evening all...

I have a 05 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDI and I just got it serviced at the start of last week.

At the end of last week though, the glow plug indicator started flashing while I was driving on the motorway. I get the impression that the turbo had stopped working (like it was in "limp" mode) because it didn't hold its speed on cruise control up a hill.

I pulled off at the first exit and switched off the engine, and the indicator went off. The car drove fine after that.

However it's been on twice today - once on the way to work and once on the way back, and I'm wondering what people think. The manual says to switch off and on three times in succession if it happens, and then perhaps bring it to the dealership.

Any idea what's causing it? Is it just something to do with the current snowy conditions? I don't want to put the car at risk, so should I just go with what the manual says?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bump.

There's another thread that mentions the diesel waxing/jellying up. Could this be the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭munsterkerryfan

Fricatus, I posted on the other thread as I had the same issue. Somebody mentioned that changing the fuel filter would solve the problem because if the diesel had gelled, it would have clogged the filter.

Can anyone advise if it would be normal for the filter will declog itself once the weather goes back to normal or if the filter will have to be changed regardless?

Also, anyone have any idea how much it would cost to change the fuel filter?

Thanks munsterkerryfan.

Update on this. I rang the dealership and they said not to worry about it. Apparently it's happening quite a bit in the cold weather. What I was told is that if the emissions are falling outside the "envelope", something kicks in that limits the fuel supply, so as to keep the emissions within tolerance, and this leads to the glow plug light being displayed.

I must say, I'm still a little scooby dubious, but I'm happy to drive it like this with their assurance that I'm not doing damage to the engine. I'm looking forward to the thaw anyway, till we see whether the problem goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the thaw anyway, till we see whether the problem goes away.

It will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I'm guessing if these engines have a dpf then the regeneration process cannot be carried out correctly as the dpfs need to get up to around 5-600 degs C before the regen is completed.....what happens if you live in a country with a climate like this all the time....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

fricatus wrote: »
    Update on this. I rang the dealership and they said not to worry about it. Apparently it's happening quite a bit in the cold weather.

It's normal for a Honda diesel to act like it's in limp mode if the weather is a bit cold?

[crosses Honda off list]

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭munsterkerryfan

Thanks lads. Cold snap is supposed to end towards the middle of next week so I suppose we will just have to wait and see if the car goes back to normal then!!!

At least it can be driven at the moment, just not very fast. That is not such a bad thing at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Finalclaws

I've been having the exact same problem, same car and year. lost power on motorway and revs wouldnt go about 2' rpm so I had a max speed of around 50mph in 5th gear until I could get off the motor way, glow light also coming on and off...I've got a used car warranty and home assistance so Im waiting for them to come and check it out. Might try and start it up again today now I've read this as they said I face long delays for the assistance due to roadside assistance being higher priority...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

No DPF on this version of the Accord.

This thread may be of use, suggests it could just be a firmware issue.

RAC Diagnostic code was p1065, fuel filter. Taking it to Honda now and I suspect
    They will do Filter change. The garage I bought it from obviously didn't do the full service I was promised...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Have heard of a few minor niggles on this engine that have all been resolved by changing the fuel filter. I believe it's a routine service item at a certain mileage, but not all garages do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

yeah maybe the garage only drained the fuel filter as opposed to changing it (as recommened in the service manual every 2 years)
    I get a mechanic to service my honda, get him to drain the filter one year and replace it the year after.
    I always put the 0w-30 oil into my accord, that could be a contributing factor to problems as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

lukester wrote: »
    Have heard of a few minor niggles on this engine that have all been resolved by changing the fuel filter. I believe it's a routine service item at a certain mileage, but not all garages do it.
    :mad: I've known garages to charge for it on a routine service but not do it:eek: A certain garage (main dealer) pulled this stroke on me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

yeah that why I buy all the bits from Honda but get a local mechanic to put them into the car.
    Also it helps having an OBD software on my laptop so I can check for any fault codes that might be showing up.

Thanks for all the replies lads. Took it in to the garage eventually and it was diagnosed as low fuel pressure. They replaced the fuel filter and hey presto!

Thanks all, I think I'll do the above for future services, have a Mechanic mate that did my previous Hondas for a good price - not sure if this will affect the 3 yr used car warranty thou so need to check the small print first! There may be some clause which says thou shalt only use honda happiness!

Still not got it into the garage as I went in yesterday and they didnt have a replacement car for me despite me booking it all the day before and them sending me a text saying it was booked! Also typically the car is running nicely now as well! No judders, glow light flashing or or limp home mode!

Hopefully they will change the fuel filter for me tomorrow and it'll be covered under warranty, I've only had it for 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

thanks guys for the info - I've had the same probs in an 05 accord - fuel filter could well be problem as its in bad need of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 onetalk

Hi All,

Problem: Glow Plug warning light keeps flashing - Loss of Power

HONDA ACCORD 2.2 CTDI EX 55 PLATE 81,000 miles.
    Switching engine off and on again restores power for a short while.
    Took car to Honda for a diagnostic check.
    Fault codes show:
    Low fuel pressure
    ECU fault
    Dealer carried out fuel flush and cleared fault codes.
    Drove car home but fault still persists.
    Took car back to Honda and asked them to Replace Fuel Filter
    Prices quoted by Local Honda Dealer:
    Part: £34.08
    Fitting: £42.30 inc.
    They charged about £45 in total – Gave me discount for some reason.
    No further problems with car.
    Service record confirms that fuel filter should be replaced every 25,000 on diesels.
    My private mechanic did not replace it at my 74,000 mile service. Problem occurred at 81,000 miles.

Advertisement