Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing from Cherbourg to Dublin tonight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Popoutman wrote: »
    That lat/long put you just outside Orlando, Florida.

You can see it on Marine Traffic just off the Wexford coast says the ETA is 9pm. It must be travelling slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Fair play to you. I'd of extended the holiday a few more days :) look forward to seeing the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I'm very lucky when travelling on ships I have never got sea sick I love a good Storm rocking and rolling, on one trip from France to Rosslare on the St Patrick 2 we ran into storm force 10 my wife does not get sick either so we had dinner and a few beers that night, the one big memory was sitting at a bar table and watching massive waved going higher than the windows. I feel sorry for any one sea sick as I'm sure it must be a terrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭MarkN

Fairly sure I saw F10-F11 in parts of the sea off the southeast coast of Ireland for today on the RTÉ weather last night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Current position and lots of other info here. Speed dropped a lot between 6am and 8am by the looks of it, probably when it hit the worst winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at her track she seems to have sheltered off Falmouth Cornwall which would explain the long time for the trip, she departed there at 6am this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I remember a crossing in similar conditions on Irish Ferries Normandy a few years ago. You'll be fine OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

My parents are on cork - roscoff, it didn't arrive into cork until 3.30pm, they closed boarding at 5pm not due to depart until 10pm. The longer they wait the calmer the seas might get hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Elemonator wrote: »
    I remember a crossing in similar conditions on Irish Ferries Normandy a few years ago. You'll be fine OP.

He'll be fine? Have you read on since post one, it sounds like a poxy awful crossing....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think I'd be more annoyed it's taking so long for the ship to dock - It looks like it's been hanging around the same spot for the last couple of hours - It must be something to do with getting a slot in Dublin Port -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

aisling86 wrote: »
    My parents are on cork - roscoff, it didn't arrive into cork until 3.30pm, they closed boarding at 5pm not due to depart until 10pm. The longer they wait the calmer the seas might get hopefully.

The Pont Aven doesn’t mess about. Steaming back to Roscoff already.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-8.2/centery:51.7/zoom:10

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

Also onboard, got caught in the brassiere restaurant (buffet style) with the kids at breakfast, plates, and bottles flying out of the fridges all over the place. The kitchen sounded like it was falling apart. They has to close it in the end it was too dangerous. Vomit everywhere! Thankfully we had travel sickness tablets and we’ve all been fine.

Over 30hrs onboard by the time we get off, waiting for another ship to leave Dublin before we can dock. Latest update is 10.30pm. Not impressed with the meal voucher but maybe that’s normal? 1 meal for a 12hr delay. When we went to get dinner you could only have curry or beef none of the other mains (lasagna, burger etc) really crappy food for the kids. Just want off at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

Yep same as Kmum we are all p!ssed off at this stage, irish ferries could have of at least giving us access to all the food at the buffet. It's not like it's great anyway

Don't think we will be traveling to France via ferry for a long time. Just glad it's almost over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

They should of cancelled the trip. I understand ships can sail in this weather. But jesus It will put most of the passengers off ever travelling by ship again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They should of cancelled the trip. I understand ships can sail in this weather. But jesus It will put most of the passengers off ever travelling by ship again.

People need to get home. If its safe to sail, 99% of passengers would want to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

First Up wrote: »
    People need to get home. If its safe to sail, 99% of passengers would want to go.

Not to mention commercial traffic also. But I can imagine that a lot of holidaymakers would be put off by the experience.

PauloMN wrote:
    Not to mention commercial traffic also. But I can imagine that a lot of holidaymakers would be put off by the experience.

Bad weather is a fact of life at sea but holidaymakers don't usually get the worst of it.

Crew will tell you that the worst crossing in summer is mild compared to what they experience in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They're still doing laps of Dublin bay by the looks of it. That's one loooooong trip (I've discovered I know someone on board as well)

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    They're still doing laps of Dublin bay by the looks of it. That's one loooooong trip (I've discovered I know someone on board as well)

Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Have you a link of how to look up boats.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Have you a link of how to look up boats.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-5.2/centery:53.3/zoom:8

Looks like they're heading back in now.... but I don't see anything leaving the port....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Yep it's getting annoying now can see Dublin and everyone just wants off... A lot people complaining to crew due to the lack of information passed onto passengers. Surely they would have known or had some idea that we were going to loose our spot

Feel sorry for some of the passengers that have hours to travel or have trains to catch. An experience I'm glad that is ALMOST behind me

First Up wrote: »
    Bad weather is a fact of life at sea but holidaymakers don't usually get the worst of it.

Crew will tell you that the worst crossing in summer is mild compared to what they experience in the winter.

I'm sure they get more frequent bad crossings in the winter alright, but Hannah produced F11 on the France-Ireland route so it was up there with a bad winter storm for sure. I'd say it was right on the edge for sailing. Any more would have produced Imogen seas and look what happened the Epsilon when it sailed in that.

Dublin-Holyhead for me and landbridge to France. Sea never as rough as the France route and no problems with docking.

Aha, I see not one but two ships pulling out of dock..... you'll have your choice of berths.... the end is in sight!!!

PauloMN wrote:
    Dublin-Holyhead for me and landbridge to France. Sea never as rough as the France route and no problems with docking.

This one was bad for the time of year. I've done a dozen or more crossings to France and never had anything remotely that bad.

I'd still prefer the direct route to France to going via the UK - after Brexit it will be an even easier choice.

One of the metal ceiling tiles that fell a few feet from me. I'll post the videos tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

pm. wrote: »
    One of the metal ceiling tiles that fell a few feet from me. I'll post the videos tomorrow

What an ordeal, hope yous are on dry land very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Glad the ship is nearly in port now, and sorry for those who had to endure the crossing in the storm, but it happens, and there are never any guarantees out on the open sea.

Anyway, to those having a bit of a rant about food etc., surely you would have known from looking at the forecast or on social media and so on that Hannah storm was incoming.

Therefore, well, this is just me I suppose, first thing I would do (after Auchan and the other wine shops ha ha) is to stock up on non perishable grub and have it on board. If it is not needed, great, but it is also great to have a stash of bread, crackers, pate, crisps, juice, bananas, and all that and more, just in case.

The ships probably have a leeway in case of delays, but I'd always have a secret stash anyway! There may be a food regulation issue also with keeping hot food for too long or something, I don't know.

pm. wrote: »

Nearly over. Hope you don't have too far to go when you hit dry land.

Look forward to the videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow, glad the end is just about in sight. Can't wait to see videos..it's a route I know very well but moreso from Rosslare from holidays as a child but obviously not that ship. I'd be very curious to know the difference in handling a storm of equal size between this ship and the old one, the Normandy. I'm sure it had plenty in its time but we only ever experienced one bad crossing and it sounds very mild compared to this.

Advertisement