Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utilities box on house

• 12-01-2019 8:01pm

Looking at a house and it has this awful (recently installed ) box on it.
    Building is from the 1830s and this sticks out like a sore thumb,
    Anyone know the ins and outs regarding them?
    Looks like virgin fiber.
    Not pictures is a cable running down to the ground with a metal guard covering it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Find out which service provider it is but does mots of the virgin fibre cables are under the gutter with boxes like you have shown but you would need to check. You can write to them asking them to have it removed and relocated elsewhere. You will get a reply quoting the Communications Act but ignore that as it is your property the communications act covers their equipment but does not give them the right to have it situated on your property. They generally will send a Wayleaver out to you and try and work out a deal, or it maybe the case that the existing homeowner already has a concession with them. They will only deal with you, once you are the owner of the property. Communication must be made in writing as they are obliged to reply to same

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It does like a HFC head, the smaller unit on the bottom is the tap that most houses have and then in every 8-10 or so has the full thing.

If you force them to Virgin must take it down unless they've a signed deal with the previous owner that is transferable (solicitor should know). Doing this will disconnect a row of your neighbours. You will not be popular.

ED E wrote: »
    It does like a HFC head, the smaller unit on the bottom is the tap that most houses have and then in every 8-10 or so has the full thing.

If you force them to Virgin must take it down unless they've a signed deal with the previous owner that is transferable (solicitor should know). Doing this will disconnect a row of your neighbours. You will not be popular.

Well It'll be hard for them to have it mounted when that wall comes down :D
    There is a telecoms pole about 3m away from it.
    Its insane they put it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Rented a house before with Virgin Media equipment mounted on it , we received some part off our package for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well It'll be hard for them to have it mounted when that wall comes down :D
    There is a telecoms pole about 3m away from it.
    Its insane they put it there!

The telecoms poles are owned by OpenEir. They don't allow Virgin to use them.

I agree though the way those boxes are done can be pretty hideous and they have become a lot bigger since the the technology moved towards HFC.

A lot of Ireland's urban utilities aren't too pretty though. I know someone in Dublin who has a big web of OpenEir wires running right past their bedroom window. There's about 20 individual wires all sprawling out from a pole to each house in a square. They literally block the view and have made access to the window for maintenance difficult. She'd a builder recently who said he couldn't touch them / work around them due to risk of damage.

Also ESB's overhead infrastructure in some urban areas is an absolute disgrace from a visual point of view. I don't mind overhead wires if they're done neatly but some of these big nests of low voltage cables all strung up on a rusty pole looks awful.

I see it around Cork City for example along Wellington Road / St Lukes, an old Victorian area which has made quite an effort in recent years to make itself look pretty and the hideous ESB infrastructure around it absolutely spoils things.

It's the same around areas in Dublin like Stoneybatter. There's an absolute mess of overhead utilities.

I know it's sometimes a lot worse in the US, but we're way behind most of Western Europe on doing utilities nice and neatly.

I know we need fibre, telephones, electricity and all of those things but we could definitely do things a lot more respectfully. These are typically hugely profitable companies and they're getting access to homes in the cheapest and nastiest ways possible without much thought for the built environment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement