Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic resources available for genealogy

• 12-12-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

If you are in third level you likely can access https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/ for free through your student account online ,you can for NUIG anyways.

I am now wondering if there's any other resources for genealogy I can access for free.Ive been reading lots of local history books in the library/special collections.Is there any specific to genealogy?My ancestors were all famers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Copied from offers thread - which is just for offers without discussion.

Any college library should have access to the Irish Times digital archives (either via their own website or ProQuest). Search on ProQuest for historical resources - it's probably changed format since I last used it but it should at least have access to Jstor.

I'd also expect access to the:

House of Commons Parliamentary papers
    National Dictionary of Biography (both Irish and UK versions)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

From the University of Strathclyde website :-

We have created some resources for the postgraduate programme which may assist in your genealogical research and communication of your results. Please feel free to download and use these freely.

Referencing Guide 2019
    Step_by _step_guide_using_Family Tree Maker output
    Step by step guide source citation
    Step by step guide charts
    Step by step guide GEDCOM
    Step by step guide reports
    Guide to Family Tree Maker

I have not examined the guides in detail yet but it looks very interesting, link HERE

Advertisement