Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roofbox on SUV - too high?

• 29-03-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking at the idea of putting a roofbox on one of the family cars.

Mines a 2008 Koleos.. the wife has a Qashqai...

As with most of these SUV's they have small enough boots...
    And we've a small fella so, for the holidays the travel cot and the buggy make it hard to get the bags in.

So, thinkin bout a roofbox just to lob the buggy and the travel cot up.. and any lighter stuff up into it.

I see they look grand on a saloon .. but the SUV's are tall enough..

Anyone done this tho? Does it make the car unstable being so highsided?
    Crosswinds ? Etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

I have used a roofbox on mine, full size 4X4 without any problems. Just watch out for height limits - carparks, parks etc, and of course you will have a lot of wind noise on the motorway but with two little ones it was great to have the extra space to store things when we were travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check on google images and see what you think
    As said be careful around car park with height restrictions but it's probably ok

Nissan-Quasqui-web.jpg

And of course check YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_YZe8N3hkE

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could also look at alternative smaller buggy. Same with travel cot, I got one just for going away, makes a huge difference. If it’s only one child then a roof box seems a bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I suppose I was worried about getting blown off course on the motorway or things getting unstable in corners..

But if I keep the weight reasonable I suppose its unlikely..

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

vidapura wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I suppose I was worried about getting blown off course on the motorway or things getting unstable in corners..

But if I keep the weight reasonable I suppose its unlikely..

Thanks again.

I hear you....I tightened mine up as much as could (made it a pain to get off) but well worth it. Checked it after the first 50km to look for movement, once I can could see there was none I motored on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

I have on mine a thule back box 420L doesn't extend more the lenght of the Suv more then a bicycle rack
    I have 2 years and have done thousands of miles with it through uk and Europe

Best thing I still get to take advantage of sun roof

ldr wrote: »
    I have on mine a thule back box 420L doesn't extend more the lenght of the Suv more then a bicycle rack
    I have 2 years and have done thousands of miles with it through uk and Europe

Best thing I still get to take advantage of sun roof

Sigh .. wish I had a sunroof...
    ...and a hitch...

I don't have a hitch yet so can't use a backbox... but I do like the idea..
    Doesn't interfere with the rear parking sensors at all no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

vidapura wrote: »
    Sigh .. wish I had a sunroof...
    ...and a hitch...

I don't have a hitch yet so can't use a backbox... but I do like the idea..
    Doesn't interfere with the rear parking sensors at all no?

Don't take the warnings about car parks lightly. There is a beach car park close to where we have our caravan. Most days we hear the crash of another roof box jamming under the barrier or getting ripped off :eek:

JamesM wrote: »
    Don't take the warnings about car parks lightly. There is a beach car park close to where we have our caravan. Most days we hear the crash of another roof box jamming under the barrier or getting ripped off :eek:

Yeah, thats really something I would have to watch.. I reckon I would forget at some stage.
    Friend of mine is a perennial france family holiday camper and he says he just doesn't ever go near high rise carparks all year.. just a habit he had to get into...

Don't think the rear box would work with my yoke... cos it has a tailgate that opens down..

I see Micks Garage has a 420L Junior box for 170 euro.. seems reasonable...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

I disable the parking sensors when i have the box mounted, the box is located to close to the sensors but makes no difference how you drive or park the car.

With my setup i lose access to the boot from the back, but makes no difference to me as i can access if needed from the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've a tall 4x4 with a roof basket that has sports bags & surf equipment on top. Aside from the excellent points made on this thread there's another one.

If you're car is high and you've stuff on the roof, auto toll booths assumes your driving a commercial and won't raise the barrier until you put more money in or press the help button making you the most annoying person in the world!!

So, just go to the toll booth that has a human in it.

Other than that, it doesn't affect the performance or safety of the car aside from fuel consumption and noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just measure the height from the ground to the top of the roof box and write it on the inside of the windscreen up the top of the drivers side, so you always know how tall your vehicle is for car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not to derail the thread, but I can't understand how popular these crossovers are for people with more than one small kid.

The boots are tiny, and you need a lot of space for all the bits when they are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

colm_c wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread, but I can't understand how popular these crossovers are for people with more than one small kid.

The boots are tiny, and you need a lot of space for all the bits when they are small.

Have a kuga. Plenty boot space.

Main thing is the ease of getting little one into seat. No bending into back car. Serious back saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People call them SUV's and buy them for status, in reality its a high up hatchback, when confronted people usually tell lies like "ohh i just like the higher driving position" or some other twaddle, fact is they saw a range rover or land cruiser and thought "that lad looks minted, how close to that can I get" . Most peoples poor buying choice was exposed during the snow as I cruised by many a beached duster, sportage and ix35. These cars sell shockingly well despite being less practical than their hatchback platform-mates , less of a drivers car than a saloon in the same price bracket and most are severely underpowered sporting engines 1.6 and under. FauxByFour is the best term ive heard for them.

Agreed 100%. A good estate car will fit EVERYTHING. But parents are older, fatter and less fit now. They can't bend over to put the kids in to the chairs and they like the heightened driver position.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

If you have only one child in the back, then plenty of space for bags etc on the other back seat and in footwell. If you think about what you are bringing and where you are going (eg bring 2 days supplies of nappies and go to supermarket for more when you get there), then there probably is no need for the hassle and cost of the roof box.

If you have only one child in the back, then plenty of space for bags etc on the other back seat and in footwell. If you think about what you are bringing and where you are going (eg bring 2 days supplies of nappies and go to supermarket for more when you get there), then there probably is no need for the hassle and cost of the roof box.

Some people aren't too keen on baggage knocking around the cabin space in case of an accident and things flying around. I'd be a bit weary about it to be honest. If the sheet hits the fan I'd rather not have heavy sharp edged unrestrained stuff flying around. That's why I carry stuff on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Melodeon

FauxByFour is the best term ive heard for them.
    Mall Terrain Vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok have a Seat Ateca and travelling around the UK with Junior on board and all his toys, clothes and accessories that come along. Big enough SUV but I would say as we are travelling a while there may not be enough space for our stuff :P Don't want things flying about

Looking at the option of buying a roofbox for all the big stuff, pram, travel cot etc. We have the bars on the roof but looking at roof box and looked at Thule roofbox and for that price I would want to be buried in it:D

Not just for the one trip may use it for others and don't want to spend a small fortune but seems you may have to. Also we are going to France so also have to make room for the wine;)

Any suggestions and wont be installing it myself so looking for recommendations of supply and fit. I looked at Halfords but any other suggestions

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You can rent them as well...

One thing that may catch people out is that ferry's charge higher prices based on height including roofbox. We saw someone getting caught at Pembroke last year, they pulled out a graduated post with a piece on top to clamp down on the top of the roofbox...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Halford Exodus ones are quite good, they use the same quick fit fittings as Thule and you can have them on and off in a couple of minutes. They occasionally come up on offer.

Not just for the one trip may use it for others and don't want to spend a small fortune but seems you may have to. Also we are going to France so also have to make room for the wine;)

Any suggestions and wont be installing it myself so looking for recommendations of supply and fit. I looked at Halfords but any other suggestions

Cheers

Hiya,
    I've been lookin at the ones on MicksGarage. bout 170 euro for a 420 litre one.
    Friend of mine (who has vast experience of the camping in france via the ferry type of holiday) tells me that they wouldn't be his first choice cos they don't open from both sides.. only one side...
    Apparently its very handy to be able to get in from either side depending on where you're parked or if you're hemmed in on the ferry and need to grab a bag of nappies.. or whatever.
    But he also says ye can't really argue with that price.

You would have to fit it yourself from Micks .. but its something you'd want to get the hang of.. cos its not something you'd leave on the roof too long.
    They add 40cm (average) to the height of the car.. and the longer you leave em on (again, rueful experience from the friend) the higher the chances of you forgetting and running into trouble in a multi-story carpark or an entrance to a beach or something...
    So, even if Halfords fit it for you, you'll have to know how to take it off and refit yourself...

Oh and himself says to make sure the one you get isn't too long for your vehicle.. you need to be able to open the boot without smashin it off the back of the box...

Thats what I've found out so far anyhow...
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

People call them SUV's and buy them for status, in reality its a high up hatchback, when confronted people usually tell lies like "ohh i just like the higher driving position" or some other twaddle,....

We have an estate and an outlander. Always had hatchbacks or estates for the boot space, and bought the outlander to tow a trailer. Trailer is now sold so will be selling the outlander soon for one of these poor persons' Discovery.

I dont need a part time 4x4 with towing capability anymore but want a car that is a bit higher off the ground which is more comfortable for me to get in and out of. Have you ever noticed the number of older people driving them?

To the OP; we took the Outlander on the ferry to France and the UK with a old type cubish shaped roof box and didnt have any problems in France, but had to reverse out of a surface car park in Scotland because the box wouldnt fit through the entrance frame. Never had any problems with road handling.

Advertisement