Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

the stars were robbed

How were they robbed. Threw it away from what I saw. All they had to do was run down the clock

seligehgit wrote: »
    When's the replay?

2 weeks. Hurling semis next week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

threeball wrote: »
    2 weeks. Hurling semis next week

Was daithi Burke playing for corofin today? If he was he'll have 3 weeks (at least) in a row with turloughmore and corofin over the next few weeks. Not counting the matches already played.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Was daithi Burke playing for corofin today? If he was he'll have 3 weeks (at least) in a row with turloughmore and corofin over the next few weeks. Not counting the matches already played.

Came on with 5 to go. Won't play again unless Turlough get beat. No Fitzy either. Two huge losses. Corofin gone back alot but showed glimpses of what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

threeball wrote: »
    How were they robbed. Threw it away from what I saw. All they had to do was run down the clock

Agree with that, don't think they were robbed. Tried to play it cute and run down the clock by lying down "injured" but it didn't work for them. Brings back memories of last year, Corofin 2 down against Mountbellew Moylough and came back to draw, same again today with Gary Sice the hero. He's been some servant to his club. Great game for the neutral, you'd think Tuam have missed their chance, Corofin looked lethargic and a bit complacent to be honest, don't think they expected the strength of that challenge from Tuam, I'll be honest, I thought Corofin would walk it by about 7 or 8 points. Tuam were the hungrier team today and played well. Corofin were off target with so many shots that they'd never miss you'd have to think that will be rectified the next day. I still think they'll win the replay but you never know, either way it's great to see a bit of competition in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'm a bit surprised tg4 aren't showing the country final live what with corofin being all - Ireland champions the last 2 years and going for 3 in a row... Would the county board have any say at all in whether such matches are televised live I wonder?

Yes, County Boards have the ultimate say. I know our own County Board (Tipp) under its previous chairmanship was totally against it on the basis that it would affect the attendance. The new board seem a bit more forward thinking thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Intermediate hurling championship has turned out to be a cracker with Kilconiron and Kinvara into the final.

Moycullen and Eyrecourt were hotly tipped to win it. Kinvara after a slow start to the championship have knocked out both and seem to be hitting form at the right time.

Kilconiron beat Turloughmore's second team to reach the final.

In relegation, Kiltormer and Kilbeacanty must battle it out to retain Intermediate status with one being relegated to Junior for 2020. Massive game for both teams.

Kilbeacanty have been in relegation for the last few years. County chairman Pat Kearney's home club. Kilbeacanty did not have to play the relegation play off last season as the County board decided not to play the game.

Agree with that, don't think they were robbed. Tried to play it cute and run down the clock by lying down "injured" but it didn't work for them. Brings back memories of last year, Corofin 2 down against Mountbellew Moylough and came back to draw, same again today with Gary Sice the hero. He's been some servant to his club. Great game for the neutral, you'd think Tuam have missed their chance, Corofin looked lethargic and a bit complacent to be honest, don't think they expected the strength of that challenge from Tuam, I'll be honest, I thought Corofin would walk it by about 7 or 8 points. Tuam were the hungrier team today and played well. Corofin were off target with so many shots that they'd never miss you'd have to think that will be rectified the next day. I still think they'll win the replay but you never know, either way it's great to see a bit of competition in the county.

Heard loads from Tuam complaining that the ref called for 3 mins extra time and played 4 and a half. Completely ignored that fact one of the Tuam players lay on the ground for close to two mins with absolutely nothing wrong with him. When they were two points up they had the chance to play it around their own 45 with no Corofin players in the Tuam half but instead went on the attack and got turned over. Corofin scored then pressed high to push them back. They cleared the lines but a very brave catch by Farragher from a long ball forward over his shoulder kept possession for Corofin and Tuam immediately fouled the man picking up the break after Farragher got creamed. Sice was never going to miss from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Kilbeacanty have been in relegation for the last few years. County chairman Pat Kearney's home club. Kilbeacanty did not have to play the relegation play off last season as the County board decided not to play the game.

In fairness it was Spideal that played havoc with the relegation last year, by basically all their players being involved with the footballers in their Connacht/All Ireland campaign

There were 13 intermediate teams last year and, as a result, two lopsided groups. It actually made sense to even it up a bit more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

When's the replay?

Sunday the 3rd of November at 2PM in Tuam Stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Sunday the 3rd of November at 2PM in Tuam Stadium.

Hopefully TG4 will do the needful and televise it.

Ballintubber are out the same day against Glencar Manorhamilton.

Galway Bay Fm Sport is led to believe that there may have been no nominations received for the position of Galway Senior Hurling Team manager, although this has still to be confirmed.

Nominations from the Clubs for the position closed at 12.00 noon yesterday, Monday.

This would be another major twist in the saga to replace Micheal Donoghue who stepped down as Galway manager on August 20th last.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Galway Bay Fm Sport is led to believe that there may have been no nominations received for the position of Galway Senior Hurling Team manager, although this has still to be confirmed.

Nominations from the Clubs for the position closed at 12.00 noon yesterday, Monday.

This would be another major twist in the saga to replace Micheal Donoghue who stepped down as Galway manager on August 20th last.

If that's the case, that no one was nominated, it's become an absolute farce altogether. You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hopefully TG4 will do the needful and televise it.

Ballintubber are out the same day against Glencar Manorhamilton.

I think the long odds for Tuam causing an upset was probably the reason for the drawn match to be televised.

I have been impressed with Tuam this year. However, Corofin always seem to get better at this time of year. A poster above said that they have regressed big time. People said exactly the same thing this time last year. A lot of things didn't go their way v Tuam. If they scored the penalty, they probably would have won by a few. And I think they will win the replay by a 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

That’s incredible if true, and very disappointing particularly for the players.......unless there is somebody lined up for it (Anthony Daly for example)

Wegian wrote: »
    That’s incredible if true, and very disappointing particularly for the players.......unless there is somebody lined up for it (Anthony Daly for example)

Or is it tactical in the hope that it will force the resignation of certain individuals from the board? Either way it's ridiculous at this stage.

I think the long odds for Tuam causing an upset was probably the reason for the drawn match to be televised.

I have been impressed with Tuam this year. However, Corofin always seem to get better at this time of year. A poster above said that they have regressed big time. People said exactly the same thing this time last year. A lot of things didn't go their way v Tuam. If they scored the penalty, they probably would have won by a few. And I think they will win the replay by a 5 or 6.

I think they hit the post 3 times, one of those the penalty. If even one of those had gone over they'd have won, they also missed chances they'd usually score in their sleep. I do think McGrath and Cunningham are weak points on the wing, when you compare them to Wall and Molloy who were there last year there's no comparison. They'd be better served bringing back those 2 and replacing McGrath and Cunningham with Lundy and Darragh Silke/Colin Brady. Either Leonard or Michael Farragher are well capable of playing midfield if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Or is it tactical in the hope that it will force the resignation of certain individuals from the board? Either way it's ridiculous at this stage.

I never thought of that, but if that’s the case it could be next Spring, League started and still no manager

David Burke and Pádraig Mannion are understood to be the players' representatives in the process to appoint a new Senior Hurling manager.

The selection group is comprised of Hurling Committee chairman Michael Larkin, secretary John Fahy, delegate Paul Bellew (Pearses) and former manager & three-time All-Ireland winner Noel Lane, along with Burke & Mannion.

It's understood that the selection committee will be in position to offer a nomination for the Galway Senior Hurling manager's position by the end of next week.

Current U-20 manager Jeffrey Lynskey, who had a very successful run as minor manager, is regarded as a genuine option.

David Burke and Pádraig Mannion are understood to be the players' representatives in the process to appoint a new Senior Hurling manager.

The selection group is comprised of Hurling Committee chairman Michael Larkin, secretary John Fahy, delegate Paul Bellew (Pearses) and former manager & three-time All-Ireland winner Noel Lane, along with Burke & Mannion.

It's understood that the selection committee will be in position to offer a nomination for the Galway Senior Hurling manager's position by the end of next week.

Current U-20 manager Jeffrey Lynskey, who had a very successful run as minor manager, is regarded as a genuine option.

Heard talks of Lynskey going in with Kevin Lally who is over Thomas's

Mulqueen has pulled out of Clare race though I see..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Connacht FBD 2020

Quarter finals.
    Sligo v Roscommon

Semi finals
    Leitrim v Sligo/Roscommon
    Mayo v Galway

Connacht U20 championship 2020

Quarter final
    Mayo v Galway

Semi final
    Sligo v Roscommon
    Mayo/Galway v Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Is this Prime Time story they teased going to be about Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

grbear wrote: »
    Is this Prime Time story they teased going to be about Galway?

I'm wondering that myself. Better keep watching I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

We've learned absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Un-named county, which had audits done by GAA external.

Bonus's paid of 4k a number of times. Multiple visits to a high end restaurant/Gastro pub.

Must be Co, New Jersey, couldn't be any nearer home surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

That was a waste of time.

Should call it Prime Time regurgitates old new rather the Prime Time investigates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fcukin cat malodeon.they could have at least said a small ball team in the west or something to narrow it down without naming people.
    A gutless piece of journalism if I ever saw one.

The Galway Senior Hurling manager Selection Committee hope to have found their man by the end of next week.

This week's Connacht Tribune reveals a number of the names being linked with the job

Former Galway captain Damien Joyce, current St Thomas’ manager, Kevin Lally are the local names in the frame, while Limerick legend Ciaran Carey and his fellow county man, Na Piarsiagh’s Shane O’Neill, along with ex-Clare hero and team boss Anthony Daly, head the list of ‘outside’ candidates.

Joyce, however, is unlikely to break ranks from the outgoing management set up, while Lally is reportedly not interested in the position......though either could be enticed to get involved in a new Galway sideline regime.

• Advertisement

No offence to Kevin Lally but he's working with a club side who won 2 county titles in the few years before he took over, that have 6 county players, 2 county minors last year, and 4 others who made the Galway senior panel at some stage and still aren't 30. Its not exactly achievement of the century to be winning a county title with them at present. he was lucky enough to have a golden generation C'well side too. Talk about a step up to manage a Galway side who need a big lift

By comparison Louis Mulqueen, for example, took a club who were close to being relegated and perennial underachievers, to 2 county finals in a row (one win) and maybe even a 3rd on the way. Not saying he should get it, I'm not even sure he's in the frame, but if I was after a club manager with no inter county experience I'd be leaning towards someone with his CV or similar

Advertisement