Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Danzy wrote: »
    Think it was late June before water pressure was reduced in 2018.

It's a lot drier, earlier this year.

We are a month ahead in conditions and no real heat yet.

Whenever I need to remind myself when the Heatwave of 2018 really kicked off I just have to Google the Taylor Swift concert at Croke Park. Cousin, his wife and kids were over on holidays from Perth in Oz and another relative bought them tickets to Taylor Swift in Croker. Never could get him to believe us when we told him that 26ºc here could be like 35ºc+ over in Perth due to the humidity and it certainly didn't look like this holiday was going to change his mind as they were all dressed up in their Winter Woolies...literally....for the concert. Light jacket weather for us. However a day or two after that concert they headed off to Galway to be greeted by blue skies and 30ºc. He finally understood what we meant as he was melting in Galway at 30ºc like he would in 40ºc Perth Heat.....and nowhere over here has Aircon!! LOL.

So yeah, Summer 2018 kicked into high gear about the 18th of June.

The corrollory is true also due to the humidity. Uncle has lived in Edmonton in Canada for decades. Exact same line of latitude as Dublin but in the centre of the continent where a normal Winters day could be minus 20-25ºc. He's never as cold there as when he comes back to Ireland some Christmases. ie. He feels a lot colder on a drab damp +4ºc Winters day in Ireland than he does on a -20ºc day in Edmonton.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Calibos wrote: »
    Whenever I need to remind myself when the Heatwave of 2018 really kicked off I just have to Google the Taylor Swift concert at Croke Park. Cousin, his wife and kids were over on holidays from Perth in Oz and another relative bought them tickets to Taylor Swift in Croker. Never could get him to believe us when we told him that 26ºc here could be like 35ºc+ over in Perth due to the humidity and it certainly didn't look like this holiday was going to change his mind as they were all dressed up in their Winter Woolies...literally....for the concert. Light jacket weather for us. However a day or two after that concert they headed off to Galway to be greeted by blue skies and 30ºc. He finally understood what we meant as he was melting in Galway at 30ºc like he would in 40ºc Perth Heat.....and nowhere over here has Aircon!! LOL.

2 degrees here is often worse than -20 in Calgary and 25 and muggy here is worse than 40 there.

Strange weather we have here on the edge of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was hoping for a lot more rain, this "bad" weather, spell has been too dry.

We had an inch over the last few days.
    I was in the veg garden and looked under the wood chips in the beds. Soil is soaked. 6 inches outside the bed is bone dry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'll be glad when today is over and we can resume a dry and relatively settled pattern. I do not like Atlantic conditions like today at all, keeps me inside all day long. Today feels more like late October or early November, cold, damp and very windy at times. The Atlantic can pack it's bags till next October and i'd be well happy! The Atlantic can also get lost again from mid November and i'd be even more happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We had an inch over the last few days.
    I was in the veg garden and looked under the wood chips in the beds. Soil is soaked. 6 inches outside the bed is bone dry.

It only amounted to 8.8mm here in Kilkenny at my location.
    Hopefully June will turn wet and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I'd love a situation where it was just the east and west got rain and we got some more dry days down here in the south, we've had enough rain! Had it while ye were beginning the drought and we got plenty the other day! Sun please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd love a situation where it was just the east and west got rain and we got some more dry days down here in the south, we've had enough rain! Had it while ye were beginning the drought and we got plenty the other day! Sun please! :)

Still the driest 70 days in living memory and probably in a century though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd be happy if the rain only fell at night. Not sure why people are dying to get more rain, we had almost 8 continuous months of it up to the beginning of March. Sure the past 2 months have been rather dry and we may have another few dryish weeks to come. The long term charts are signaling a return of the annual very unsettled conditions for end of July and August especially, by then we will all be sick of the rain again.

Danzy wrote: »
    Still the driest 70 days in living memory and probably in a century though.

I mean in cork at least, our average for may is basically the same as the last 4 years according to the Met Eireann data. (Obviously location dependent, north cork had less I think). Actually had more this year then May 2019 and May 2017, April is adding up to the mean amount generally according to the data too)

East and west definitely need it though, the east definitely is parched

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd be happy if the rain only fell at night. Not sure why people are dying to get more rain, we had almost 8 continuous months of it up to the beginning of March. Sure the past 2 months have been rather dry and we may have another few dryish weeks to come. The long term charts are signaling a return of the annual very unsettled conditions for end of July and August especially, by then we will all be sick of the rain again.

Thats the dream :eek: Once it starts it never stops though :( . Rain from like 11pm - 6am and then sun and then back to rain would be ideal :P Definitely sick of the rain with the over 240 days of rain we had before. Was nearly constant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking good for the coming week :cool:

ECM1-96.GIF?23-0

thankfully we see a return to mostly settled and dry conditions from tomorrow. Today has been a write-off here in Meath with loads of showers on and off all day and a dark evening with misty rain, a real dirty evening. The wind is finally dying down. Haven't set foot outside all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    thankfully we see a return to mostly settled and dry conditions from tomorrow. Today has been a write-off here in Meath with loads of showers on and off all day and a dark evening with misty rain, a real dirty evening. The wind is finally dying down. Haven't set foot outside all day.

Max today here of 16.4c,which wasn't too bad apart from the wind
    Shower of rain atm
    A few light brief ones earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Strange that you got so many showers in dunshaughlin. It's so close to Dublin and yet I saw just one shower here in and it lasted about 5 minutes and amounted to nothing. Irish weather is so random.

quote="Gonzo;113531070"]thankfully we see a return to mostly settled and dry conditions from tomorrow. Today has been a write-off here in Meath with loads of showers on and off all day and a dark evening with misty rain, a real dirty evening. The wind is finally dying down. Haven't set foot outside all day.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whatever about the rain, this must also be the least humid prolonged spell in the history of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

Strange that you got so many showers in dunshaughlin. It's so close to Dublin and yet I saw just one shower here in and it lasted about 5 minutes and amounted to nothing. Irish weather is so random. ]

I'm less than 40km West of Dublin city, in North Kildare, very close to the Meath bother. Several showers during the day and fairly persistent rain since well before dark. Was out with the dog an hour ago and it was still spitting rain.

highdef wrote: »
    I'm less than 40km West of Dublin city, in North Kildare, very close to the Meath bother. Several showers during the day and fairly persistent rain since well before dark. Was out with the dog an hour ago and it was still spitting rain.

yep it basically rained here nearly all day, mostly very light but it would be enough to get wet fairly quickly outside and the gusty winds wouldn't have helped. Winds died down earlier on this evening but it's back fairly gusty now again and still spitting rain outside. It really was a horrible Saturday here, wasn't expecting today to be this bad, it was much worse than yesterday which was quite pleasant at times.

Calibos wrote: »

The corrollory is true also due to the humidity. Uncle has lived in Edmonton in Canada for decades. Exact same line of latitude as Dublin but in the centre of the continent where a normal Winters day could be minus 20-25ºc. He's never as cold there as when he comes back to Ireland some Christmases. ie. He feels a lot colder on a drab damp +4ºc Winters day in Ireland than he does on a -20ºc day in Edmonton.

Had a Swedish guy over as part of work a few years ago. He's from the very north and used to really low temperatures but he said the 3-5 degrees with damp, biting winds we get here is colder than anything he has experienced before. He gave a week in Cork frozen solid and was glad to get home to -20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very disappointed with weather do far this morning. Still really windy here + dark clouds.

Hope it improves. Last night felt like a winter evening. Miserable + lights + heating on from early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

appledrop wrote: »
    Very disappointed with weather do far this morning. Still really windy here + dark clouds.

Hope it improves. Last night felt like a winter evening. Miserable + lights + heating on from early evening.

RTE has it cloudy all week. Hopefully we get some prolonged spells of sun, warmer than yesterday in D5 today but no sun.

• Advertisement

Had a Swedish guy over as part of work a few years ago. He's from the very north and used to really low temperatures but he said the 3-5 degrees with damp, biting winds we get here is colder than anything he has experienced before. He gave a week in Cork frozen solid and was glad to get home to -20.

Might have something to do with our buildings being terribly insulated too. I lived in the basement of a creaky old house in Calgary for a year once, I never even saw the heating controls, I think it self regulated, but I could walk around half naked in the mornings when it was -35c outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I too am disappointed so far with the cloudy or hazy conditions in Dublin. I remember reading MÉ saying long spells of sunshine... takes me back to last summer all over again. Only the start of the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sun is shining and it's warm in Wexford. Beautiful day

Yep this morning is a bit dissapointing, I could still hear the wind up to 2 hours ago but it's completely gone now thankfully. Sun is trying to have a go at breaking through the clouds but is having great difficulty, hopefully will see some proper breaks by the afternoon.

Tomorrow could be a mostly cloudy day, particularly in the western half of the country where there could be spells of rain at times from a dying front. Tuesday is likely to be quite cloudy at times too as another front tries to move down over us. From Wednesday is when we should start to see a bit more in the way of sunshine fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not a cloud in the sky here in tipp and a lovely 17.1 already

Still windy af in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

appledrop wrote: »

Heating on? :eek: Where are you? It didn't feel cold enough for heating here. A light jumper would do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Still windy af in Dublin

Yeah this annoying wind needs to die down. Other than that it is feeling pleasantly warm with the sun starting to break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭appledrop

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Heating on? :eek: Where are you? It didn't feel cold enough for heating here. A light jumper would do the same job.

North county Dublin. It was quite cold here last night with windy weather. No I hate been cold so heating had to go on for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Same with a Spanish work mate of mine a couple of years ago who could not bear the July heat in this country. He declared that it was 'ugly', and I totally agreed. I sometimes think if the summer heat here in Galway, and particularly my region of it (NE) is made all the more unbearable due to the fact that there are no hills to help 'churn' the air about a bit more as it would in pretty much any other part of the country. There is always that odd stagnant feel to it here, and the swampy damp bog land that makes up much of the countryside locally hardly helps either.

New Moon

Advertisement