Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Boards.ie Community Manager

• 03-12-2014 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm slightly cheating in taking this on cause our other option we were hoping to set live this week is most likely going to be delayed till next week.

So, I am one of two Community Manager's on Boards.ie. I have been an employee of the company since March 2009 and a member of the site since before it started.

I'm happy to answer questions about me, the job, site and about the company, but I may not be able to answer everything.

I will start answering your questions tomorrow morning as I've got an event I'm talking at till 7pm and some other plans for the evening after that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Who is your favourite troll?

Have you met any troll in the real world and you knew who they were and vice versa and how did they react?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

What is a typical day like for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Have you any plans to break the site again?

Do you help out on the tech side or is it responding to emails and adminesque duties?

Was the hack the most "interesting" thing that's happened during your tenure?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A question I also asked Gordon - Do you ever think you will leave Boards entirely - both professionally and as a poster? How/when do you ever foresee it happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have you ever had to ban someone that you didn't really want to but had to due to the rules of the site?

If money was no option for the site, what's the first thing you would do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How did you get your job?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Do you ever feel conflicted about the rules of the site, vs your own personal feelings on certain issues or situations? i.e. have you ever had to apply the rules against your gut feelings? Or does 'spirit of the law' take precedent?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Doodly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

How many people does boards.ie actually employ and in what kind of roles?

Who owns boards.ie?

How much would it cost to buy boards.ie??

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The Wealdstone Raider or Andy Tate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How many members is there on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A question I was asked: where do you see boards going?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

What's the actual place you work like? Is it a small office or what? How many people are actually employed by boards? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So aside from spending hours feeding all the hamsters what does a normal day in boards HQ tend to entail for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I can't be the only one wondering..... What did This guy Do that started the numerous threads....?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what is the ad revenue like, & operating cost of the site also

what are you looking at to increase revenue

have you ever considered selling user data

has the site ever considered being more social/personal

have you noticed an increase in information requests

do you personally believe the site has been hacked unknown to the sec. team, do you believe the site is monitored.

personally again, do you think the web is dead in a free, unmonitored, uncontrolled sense. will filtering be the new norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

This might come across as rude but I always perceive you as having contempt for the users of Boards, specifically the posters in After Hours. Do you feel like this is an accurate perception?

Threatened legal action id say.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If you were starting boards all over again, what would you do differently?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Is it worth it? Do the positives outweigh the amount of crap you have to put up with on a daily basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Fancy going for a fee pints after work tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

What's your favourite thing about boards?
    And your least favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What is your salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

coke or hookers?

Can you lick your elbow?

What's your favourite thread/ YouTuber to watch/read while having a poo?

Do you think the poster above is strange?

Tilly wrote: »
    Do you think the poster above is strange?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

What's the most offensive thing anyone has said to you on boards? What are the chances of a convicted murderer doing an AMA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Have you ever banned someone and thought "YES! Finally got that Bastid"

Or, as others have said, has there ever been a time when Dav the professional Boardsie has had to take action against one of your(or your alter ego's) friends?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement