Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Size would be the main difference. I just think the Core Grafx looks a whole lot better too, that and the fact that I prefer to buy Japanese games was another reason. There's a nice neat cable available that gives you RGB without have to mod the console.
    Will it play PAL games also ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doubt there is even such a thing as PAL games. PAL consoles were just imported NTSC machines then modified to output in 50Hz. The games were all just imported NTSC games.

There is a difference between US and Japanese cards though, they changed the pin outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

PC Engine collecting can get very expensive. Bought a few games at the start and then decided to go the Everdrive route myself.

I've a Core Grafx too, one of the grey ones with a green button. Gorgeous looking little thing.

Only thing that really pisses me off with it is that the PSU cable goes in the side rather than the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    PC Engine collecting can get very expensive. Bought a few games at the start and then decided to go the Everdrive route myself.

I've a Core Grafx too, one of the grey ones with a green button. Gorgeous looking little thing.

Only thing that really pisses me off with it is that the PSU cable goes in the side rather than the back.

Would be ok if it was the same side as the video output, but oh no lets be awkward they said....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Turbo Express was a device I'd wanted since seeing it in an old magazine, back in '91.
    I recall drooling over it and it only took 25 years to buy one!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My Turbo Express was a device I'd wanted since seeing it in an old magazine, back in '91.
    I recall drooling over it and it only took 25 years to buy one!

I didn't realise you had a Turbo Express, nice! Have yet to see one in person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't realise you had a Turbo Express, nice! Have yet to see one in person.

It's lovely, but a beetch for batteries!
    A partial recap means it makes sounds again, though the screen "warms up".
    Pretty cool device all in all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you check there weren't any government secrets stashed on it?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did you check there weren't any government secrets stashed on it?

Wut?

Also, played a bit of Road Redemption on the Switch.
    It's fun but not really a patch on Road Rash on the 3DO.
    I am not sure why they needed the semi dystopia or the o complex weapon system.
    I'd be quite happy with the Megadrive original controls and a more typical setting.
    Even so, seems like fun.
    I understand the original PC release was $40 while I paid €16 via the SA eshop for the Switch version, it's no worth the upper price to be sure, but at €16 it's not bad.
    Have to wonder if it's really that likely I'll play it long enough to get good at it...

• Advertisement

Wut?

Will Smith got in a lot of trouble because of a turbo express with government secrets on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Will Smith got in a lot of trouble because of a turbo express with government secrets on it.
    Really ??? I didn't know he was an enemy of the State....

Master of the Universe

Was there a Turbo Express used as a prop in that? Hah! Never noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Also, played a bit of Road Redemption on the Switch.
    It's fun but not really a patch on Road Rash on the 3DO.
    I am not sure why they needed the semi dystopia or the o complex weapon system.
    I'd be quite happy with the Megadrive original controls and a more typical setting.
    Even so, seems like fun.
    I understand the original PC release was $40 while I paid €16 via the SA eshop for the Switch version, it's no worth the upper price to be sure, but at €16 it's not bad.
    Have to wonder if it's really that likely I'll play it long enough to get good at it...

I bought it in early access when it was terrible and it's improved since but the core gameplay and balance still feel very wishy washy like they just tried papering over all the problems by throwing in loads of weapons and upgrades. 3DO Road Rash is a thousand times better.

I bought it in early access when it was terrible and it's improved since but the core gameplay and balance still feel very wishy washy like they just tried papering over all the problems by throwing in loads of weapons and upgrades. 3DO Road Rash is a thousand times better.

I would love a straight mode, akin to the 3DO version, stripping out that superfluous padding.
    I think it would benefit immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

I still don't get the love for the 3DO and Playstation versions.

Instead of using the speed matching mechanic the mega drive versions used, you just just past your rivals and barely ever have to fight.

It's RoadRash 3 all the way for me.

Doge wrote: »
    I still don't get the love for the 3DO and Playstation versions.

Instead of using the speed matching mechanic the mega drive versions used, you just just past your rivals and barely ever have to fight.

It's RoadRash 3 all the way for me.

One, everyone knows Road Rash 2 is the best one.

And

(B)

get-out-20172203.jpg

Master of the Universe

Yeah I'd be a Road Rash 2 man myself. Preferred the more standard type pixel art over the digitised ones in 3.

Haven't played it in years, just after remembering the little animations when you finished a level. Some of them were great.

Was I the only one who never seemed to be able to obtain any of the fancy bikes?

Yeah I'd be a Road Rash 2 man myself. Preferred the more standard type pixel art over the digitised ones in 3.

Haven't played it in years, just after remembering the little animations when you finished a level. Some of them were great.

Was I the only one who never seemed to be able to obtain any of the fancy bikes?

I was the same.

I remember though seeing a preview of Road Rash in EGM back in the day and being gobsmacked, but after I bought my Megadrive it was Road Rash 2 that I bought.
    The third one pushed it a little too far and the less said about the horrors of Skitchin' the better.

Seldom played is the SegaCD version, which is just awful, attempting to combine the visuals and art style of the 3DO version with the traditional OG Road Rash engine, it's not a pretty sight but is an interesting purchase.
    I don't think it ever got a release here, I have a "copy" for research purposes only, having the region changed to the EU with a patching tool, and don't think I played it more than twice.

I got pretty far in Road Rash 2. Got to the last set of races and could afford the Diablo bike.

The problem was you needed the Diablo to place anywhere in them but the thing was near uncontrollable so never did finish it.

• Advertisement

I think the reason I prefer 3 is the gameplay and locations. Also they figured out how to keep your weapons in memory so you don't lose them after each race. It has more going for it besides the photo art.

Master of the Universe

To be fair I haven't given Road Rash 3 much attention due to the visuals. Didn't know that about the weapons, that's actually kind of cool - must give it another bash.

To be fair I haven't given Road Rash 3 much attention due to the visuals. Didn't know that about the weapons, that's actually kind of cool - must give it another bash.

It has narly rock/metal soundtrack too, well as close as you'll get on the ym2612!

Don't fall for Doge's seductive lies O1s1n!
    Resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Does this mean I can't bring Road Rash 3 and Skitchin to the Xmas beers? :D

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Does this mean I can't bring Road Rash 3 and Skitchin to the Xmas beers? :D

Well, you can, but they are already here!
    Along with Road Rash 2, the first one, Road Rash on the 3DO, MegaCD and PS!
    Even a turd like Skitchin' is here!

Skitchin is brilliant, a fantastic snapshot of 90's 'tude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Christ Road Rash 2 was amazing on the Mega Drive I had it , I did get the Diablo aswell but as the poster said above the speed of it made it unusable , I used to love whipping fella's off the bikes with the chain game went up a level as soon as you got that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

NHL Hitz 20-03 on the original Xbox, outrageous fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The 3DO Rash quibbles are ligitimate. I find RR2's choppy framerate hard to stomach these days. Perhaps I should try overclocking it in an emulator.

Advertisement