Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental agency only HAP clients offered

• 05-11-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

First rental of apt in Dublin. Newly done up, new appliances, market rent. Hired letting agency as too busy to do it myself. Just got an email to say only HAP clients interested. Now I will look at those clients obv when I get the references but am I right to be a bit wary after the recent announcement about agencies getting 500 bonus for HAP clients???? It’s in a very sought after area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

polydactyl wrote: »
    First rental of apt in Dublin. Newly done up, new appliances, market rent. Hired letting agency as too busy to do it myself. Just got an email to say only HAP clients interested. Now I will look at those clients obv when I get the references but am I right to be a bit wary after the recent announcement about agencies getting 500 bonus for HAP clients???? It’s in a very sought after area.

That is fierce strange.

Nearly worth your while sticking up your own ad with email only replies, just to see if they're taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fire that agency ASAP. You cannot trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Fire that agency ASAP. You cannot trust them.

Have not signed anything or paid anything yet so may well go with another!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Very easy to manage yourself. Advert on letting site with email only contact. Get throw away SIM card until you get the tenant.

If you use an agent you are paying them a fee to provide YOU a service. They are not there to provide the government with a service.

You should be offered all types of tenants so definitely strange. I think I would be firing them and get feedback from other landlords agencies they use and definitely move on...
    You need at least 3references and don't take the latest one. Don't trust the agency to check the references either. X tenant moved into a house managed by agency. I did not get a call..
    Review everything they give you.

Not everyone is on hap...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Andycap8

Eh, wasn't there just something in the news about this?

The local authorities are offering payments to letting agents to place HAP tenants. So they get €500 on top of whatever fee you'd be paying them. Means a HAP tenant is more valuable to them than a regular tenant.

Link to Journal article below

https://www.thejournal.ie/hap-letting-agents-4317277-Nov2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Definitely very dodgy. For a market-rate apartment in Dublin you're looking at 150-200 inquiries in the first 24-48hrs if it's on Daft.. Chances of all of them being HAP is slim to nil. If it's Dublin City centre you can usually expect 15-25% of applicants to look to use HAP, may be higher for the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

That’s disgusting that the government are paying 500 to letting agents, absolutely disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

That’s disgusting that the government are paying 500 to landlords , absolutely disgusting

500 to letting agents not landlords, but don’t let me (or facts) get in the way of a landlord bashing rant

Gileadi wrote: »
    500 to letting agents not landlords, but don’t let me (or facts) get in the way of a landlord bashing rant

Was a simple error
    Not bashing any landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was a simple error
    Not bashing any landlords

Did you read the article? Every time the govt takes measures v homelessness.?

The discrimination against HAP tenants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Graces7 wrote: »
    Every time the govt takes measures v homelessness.?

This isn't a measure against homelessness though, its just moving a problem, its like sweeping the dirt from your kitchen into you hall and not actually picking it up.
    To reduce homelessness more houses are needed any other "solution" is just to try and make them look good.

Re the OP either way I wouldn't be using the agency but I would question them on it first to see what their response is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- the fact of the matter is- in the greater Dublin area- less than 20% of prospective tenants are eligible for HAP (the main reason its not higher is a stipulation that a HAP tenant *HAS* to stay in a property for a minimum of 2 years after getting a property). What the agency are saying- patently isn't true. I don't know who they are, nor do I want to know- but you need to find an agency who work for you- not the government. The 500 quid into their hands- creates an immense conflict of interest for agencies- and this particular agency- have patently chosen who their paymaster is- and it isn't you.

As for the comment about HAP tenancies being higher in the suburbs- that doesn't hold water either. I helped a colleague recently with a property in Lucan- he had his choice of tenants within an hour of putting it up on DAFT- and had to edit his advertisement within the hour to remove his contact details- as he was getting deluged.

Drop the agency you've been talking to- they are not acting in your best interests.

When you are vetting tenants- you may choose to go with a HAP tenant- if they are the best choice for you- however- they will be on a list of prospective tenants you're vetting- and whether they are a HAP tenant or not- is not pertinent to vetting them (nor may you discriminate against them for being a HAP tenant).

Go get a new agency- or put the property up on DAFT yourself (and prepare to be snowed under by prospective tenants).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tell the agent you've had second thoughts and are going to sell it / let it to a friend. You know HAP pay a month in arrears instead of up front.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tell the agent you've had second thoughts and are going to sell it / let it to a friend. You know HAP pay a month in arrears instead of up front.

In Dublin they will pay in advance and pay 2-3 months deposit- the same as any other tenant will pay- if a landlord demands all prospective tenants meet the same criteria.

You can't discriminate against HAP tenants- however, you shouldn't kneel over backwards to facilitate them either- and if it is an issue- local authorities in Dublin- have recognised this (not as a rule- more as an infrequent practice) and are willing to negotiate (obviously it would be up to the tenant to organise this- not the landlord- as the running involved is pretty mental).

The norm in much of Dublin is first and last month's rent in advance- along with two month's deposit. Many tenants will offer a significantly higher deposit (4-5-6 months deposit are far from unusual). Obviously even if you have a massive deposit- you still need to properly vet the tenant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Any chance the property is overpriced, or are you looking for an excessive deposit? Both cases could result in only HAP tenants applying, as the rent/deposit isn't coming out of their own pocket.

Did you read the article? Every time the govt takes measures v homelessness.?

The discrimination against HAP tenants?

So people that work and contribute to society face even greater challenges in securing a place to rent with this new initiative?

This country is all about the lazy and the super rich

The average worker is completely ****ed over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So people that work and contribute to society face even greater challenges in securing a place to rent with this new initiative?

This country is all about the lazy and the super rich

The average worker is completely ****ed over

My recent experience in vetting tennants was that most respondents who said that they were on HAP were also working. It was an eye-opener for me.

It seems to be a significant step forward over RA where taking up employment would have meant losing RA in many cases. It still doesn't address the root of the problem which is a lack of supply but takes away one of the unfortunate side effects.

Don't ever get an agency to find you new tenants. It takes a day, 2 max, to hold an open viewing and whittle down tenants. You get a much better feel for people when you speak to them and see the type of questions they ask. Plus, most agencies charge a full month's rent for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Hi Op,
    Drop the agency, sounds like they are screening for HAP on the back of the e500 "incentive".
    I have been a tenant in the past and am currently a landlord and in my experience with letting agencies is that they take anybody without proper checks and are less than helpful once a tenant is in place, especially when it comes to tenant having problems.
    You would do a better job of screening a tenant yourself, always trust your gut.
    With regards to HAP, I haven't dealt with anyone on it yet, bit apparently there is a lot of work involved in getting the apartment approved to the HAP requirements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That scheme is pretty good even though it's just paying off estate agents/ I know people who can't find anywhere to live because even when they are offered a place it gets withdrawn because they are on HAP. Illegal but nothing they can do about it. They are much more vulnerable right now that people with means.

Btw OP my best friend is on HAP, is an amazing tenant and would be interested in the place I'd say :D She just can't find somewhere to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭AlanG

If your asking rent is particularly high then it is likely that only HAP people will be able to afford it. Most outside of HAP cannot come close to funding the rents many properties are seeking. Homeless HAP in particular will pay rents that no one on the average wage could fund. Plenty of hard working good tenants are on HAP so you should consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

The €500 incentive is ridiculous. How can an agency be trusted to pick best tenants when there is a financial benefit to picking one with HAP. All the government have done is home more HAP people which in turn means those without HAP paying by themselves might struggle to get a place, end result is same, they haven't provided any additional homes, so same amount of people will have nowhere to live. I actually think this will backfire massively, landlords are wary enough these days and if agents can't be trusted to act independently then I'd imagine there will be a reduction in landlords using their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@OP...... Lets be clever.

Get one of your friends to express an interest.

See if they report it back to you.

When they don't, go to town on them.

You'd swear Estate Agents actually owned properties. The truth is they have nothing to sell or rent. They are glorified sales agents and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

I was wondering how soon these scenarios would arise. It didn't take long.

That scheme is pretty good even though it's just paying off estate agents/ I know people who can't find anywhere to live because even when they are offered a place it gets withdrawn because they are on HAP. Illegal but nothing they can do about it. They are much more vulnerable right now that people with means.

Btw OP my best friend is on HAP, is an amazing tenant and would be interested in the place I'd say :D She just can't find somewhere to live.

Thanks. Your post says it all..I was discriminated against as some here are advocating. Calling folk on HAP lazy? Pensioners and disabled need a home.

Yes,more houses are needed but that takes time. Helping HAPfolk not be turned away with winter ahead is very needful.

I narrowly avoided being homeless this time last year..been an excellent tenant manyyears

Thestones wrote: »
    The €500 incentive is ridiculous. How can an agency be trusted to pick best tenants when there is a financial benefit to picking one with HAP. All the government have done is home more HAP people which in turn means those without HAP paying by themselves might struggle to get a place, end result is same, they haven't provided any additional homes, so same amount of people will have nowhere to live. I actually think this will backfire massively, landlords are wary enough these days and if agents can't be trusted to act independently then I'd imagine there will be a reduction in landlords using their service.

I think the incentive is not E500 each but for5? Maybe you can get the report up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I can't find where I saw the details but it is 500 each but gets paid after place 5 so get 2,500.

Thanks. Your post says it all..I was discriminated against as some here are advocating. Calling folk on HAP lazy? Pensioners and disabled need a home.

Yes,more houses are needed but that takes time. Helping HAPfolk not be turned away with winter ahead is very needful.

I narrowly avoided being homeless this time last year..been an excellent tenant manyyears

Well if you are NOT working and on hap , yes you are lazy

Obviously I don’t include pensioners and some people with disabilities. Then again so many wasters claim disability with their impossible to prove mental issues

Just think it’s wrong that there should be any incentive to be paid to estate agents to house these

Renting is tough for everyone not just the lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Agent is definitely pulling a scam. If they take €500 from the got they are not allowed charge you a fee. Point this out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

So now those that cannot or do not want to apply for Hap will be discriminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Weird how people are suggesting the rent could be too high for everyone but HAP. The constant complaint has been rent is too high for HAP rent so the complete opposite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement