Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 244 Masvidal v Diaz

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anderson Silva had a "soft" phyisque. It's not all about being ripped.

There is exceptions of course but generally.

Luck has been on his side too, that quicker than quick Askren knockout got a call out from Diaz. He's always been a better fighter than Diaz so its no great surprise he won that one.

He might find a fight with Colby or Usman a bit too much though as he doesn't have that elite level of wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People are going on about this like it was an important fight. It's a cringe belt and two guys that are well down the rankings or at least should be. You've got Usman, Woodley, Covington and Edwards who are all well ahead of these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Edwards, as in Leon Edwards?

Yes Leon Edwards that beat Dos Anjos in his last fight and has won eight in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

eagle eye wrote: »
    People are going on about this like it was an important fight. It's a cringe belt and two guys that are well down the rankings or at least should be. You've got Usman, Woodley, Covington and Edwards who are all well ahead of these two.

Masvidal KO'd two guys inside the top 5 in askern an till. If the Diaz fight hadn't of happened he was 1 fight away from the WW title shot imo.

I wouldn't of had askern near top 5 but think he was when they fought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Masvidal by submission
    I think he was 6 rather than 5. Ridiculous he got placed there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Masvidal is the 3rd ranked WW now. Very good chance he'll fight the winner of Usman and Covington next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

He doesn't win a round against either of those I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Nal wrote: »
    In 48 fights hes never really been badly beaten, never KO'd, so maybe hes just naturally matured into a contender now. All the pieces have fallen into place.

He actually has a TKO loss on his record but it's as awful a call by a ref you'd see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If Colby wins next month then his first defence vs either Masvidal or Woodley will be a massive fight because of the beef between them.
    I really hope Colby wins, as in addition to his fighting like a bulldog, his marketing of the fight in the run up is very entertaining, similar to Mcgregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

If Colby wins next month then his first defence vs either Masvidal or Woodley will be a massive fight because of the beef between them.
    I really hope Colby wins, as in addition to his fighting like a bulldog, his marketing of the fight in the run up is very entertaining, similar to Mcgregor.

Would watch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We'll all be throwing our money at a Masvidal Colby fight if it happens. He wouldn't have the wrestling skills to deal with Colby though.

It won't be happening because as good as Colby is he is not taking out Usman who imo is on a different level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Diaz by ko/tko
    I really hope Colby wins, his marketing of the fight in the run up is very entertaining.

He tries too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

rob316 wrote: »
    There is exceptions of course but generally.

Luck has been on his side too, that quicker than quick Askren knockout got a call out from Diaz. He's always been a better fighter than Diaz so its no great surprise he won that one.

He might find a fight with Colby or Usman a bit too much though as he doesn't have that elite level of wrestling.

Lance Armstrong wasn’t ripped either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Effects wrote: »
    He tries too hard.

Yup, not even Trump buys his bull****.

Masvidal by submission
    Just watched the prelims earlier. Some great fights in there as well, Shane Burgos put in an incredible perforamce, those body shots towards the end were almost hard to watch, Amirkani could barely stand up on several occassions. Now 13-1, that guy seriously deserves his own Fight Night event.

Johnny Walker got absolutely wrecked...largely his own fault, he was far too over-confident and cocky. He first got clocked when he dropped his guard completely and shook out his hands in a silly manner standing directly in front of Anderson, completely stupid and avoidable, never recoverd from it. Look on his face when the ref stopped it, Not sure I've ever seen such a haunting look of despair and regret in the octagon.

Time for Arlovski to hang up those gloves. 3-10 in his last 13 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Homelander wrote: »
    Just watched the prelims earlier. Some great fights in there as well, Shane Burgos put in an incredible perforamce, those body shots towards the end were almost hard to watch, Amirkani could barely stand up on several occassions. Now 13-1, that guy seriously deserves his own Fight Night event.

Johnny Walker got absolutely wrecked...largely his own fault, he was far too over-confident and cocky. He first got clocked when he dropped his guard completely and shook out his hands in a silly manner standing directly in front of Anderson, completely stupid and avoidable, never recoverd from it. Look on his face when the ref stopped it, Not sure I've ever seen such a haunting look of despair and regret in the octagon.

Burgos looked massive for 45,dunno if i ever seen a bigger 45er,was a tough out for Amirkani.

Masvidal by submission
    I was thinking that exact thing watching that fight, the span of his back even...considering he's 5"11 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No one is elite and everyone is overrated and a journeyman according to boards ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Beersmith wrote: »
    No one is elite and everyone is overrated and a journeyman according to boards ffs

Nonsense. Everyone is a ****ing goat on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote: »
    You can tell the guys are juicing, he's a very soft physique for that.
    It’s a bit naive to think that rules person out.
    Peds don’t make you look like a superhero instantly. Certain Peds that would have helped him don’t change your appearance at all.

He’s obviously not at no.1 but “well down” is a bit much. Other those those you listed I can’t see who is ahead of him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Homelander wrote: »

I seen Johnny Walker spent some of his camp sparring in SBG in Dublin they hardly have Steller lads his size, surely not ideal if your looking to compete at the very top level in the LHW division,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Great card! Best in a while. No issue personally with the stoppage as I don't think Nate was going to do anything but absorb more damage. Some huge shots eaten by fighters across the board. How Ivanov stayed standing I'll never know.

Colby is a great fighter but his heel shtick is terrible. It makes me forget how good a fighter he actually is it's so bad. He clearly comes up with a few lines and then awkwardly shoehorns them in to interviews. Uncle Chael needs to step up and give him a training camp in this stuff :D
    Masvidal-Woodley would be an interesting match up. Masvidal is looking great these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Foxtrotter

They're both pretty well rounded fighters and would give just about everyone problems, except maybe Diaz v. a top level wrestler with decent jits. Covington might be able to beat Diaz but it would be a snoozer of a humpfest too. Masvidal v. Diaz was a good matchup because both guys stand and bang and have a good all around game.

Advertisement