Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Eldest girl did it for the Leaving. It's a classic, I feel so cultured now:D. Enjoyable, so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

later12 wrote: »
    Poems of the Dispossessed.
    It's an anthology of Irish misery-lit.

I'm a larf a minute.

Irish misery lit? ooh, what's the author name, please?

I want some!

drdeadlift wrote: »
    The secret race,by Taylor Hamilton.
    Its very enjoyable.

I like the name. what's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

I, Partridge: We need to talk about Alan. I read it in about 4 days, funny stuff. If you are a Partridge fan I recommend it, otherwise maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

73Cat wrote: »
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Eldest girl did it for the Leaving. It's a classic, I feel so cultured now:D. Enjoyable, so far...

I loved that book so much growing up. I might dig it back out and re-read actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Colour of A Dog Running Away by Richard Gwyn.

What colour is it, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The assasination of Robert Maxwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

We need to talk about Kevin- Lionel Shriver

It's pretty disturbing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't read, I get the audiobooks :)

The actors are superb, realy bring it to life

Currently going through World with End by Ken Follett

They did a TV series about it recently

The TV series was good but the book is even better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Finally got around to buying Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage. It was nestled in amongst a heap of Lance Armstrong titles at the local bookshop which I thought was ironic. The major part of the book is made up of his diary entries from his pro racing career in the late 80's and the title of the book is certainly appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I am reading two at the moment

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
    About a hundred pages read.Its top notch and I am really enjoying it.

The Fort by Bernard Cornwell
    On the last chapter....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The_Thing wrote: »
    Thanks, I've been reading Stephen King's stuff for the best part of the last 30 years. Have you read anything by Robert R. McCammon - I'd recommend 'Stinger' and 'Swan Song'

Wolfs Hour
    Is a great read as well.Reading the blurb you would think no way.But as crazy as the story sounds ,he makes it believable.Top Notch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

No Easy Day. The book about the SEAL raid that killed Bin Laden. I wasn't sure of it at first, but I'm actually enjoying it now to be honest.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ross O'Carroll-kelly.

The Shelbourne Ultimatum.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

just finished one flew over the cuckoos nest, reread. forgot how great a book it is.

now on captain morellis mandolin. really enjoying the start of it. and also realizing how small my knowledge of the second world war is in regards to the Mediterranean. ill have more of an interest in future.
    really liking the style of writing so far, and some good characters developing nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

just finished one flew over the cuckoos nest, reread. forgot how great a book it is.

now on captain morellis mandolin. really enjoying the start of it. and also realizing how small my knowledge of the second world war is in regards to the Mediterranean. ill have more of an interest in future.
    really liking the style of writing so far, and some good characters developing nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

'Containment Room 7' by Bryan Hall

They'll probably make a film out of this one. Research ship orbiting a black hole and what ensues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

11/22/63 by Stephen King after a recommendation here.

Just when i lost all faith in King he comes back with this,Great read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

About half way through "Love in a Time of Cholera" by Gabriel García Márquez, a moving account of life in a coastal Colombian town at the turn of the 20th century & the diverging future fortunes of two erstwhile not-quite-lovers divided by class pretensions. Reading it in the original para mejorar mi nivel en la lengua & not finding it too difficult, despite the occasional region-specific (i.e. not commonly used elsewhere) word or phrase. The richness of the language is an absolute joy to read, García Márquez is really good at capturing characters & setting scenes with just a few lines of dialogue. Don't think it's quite as good as "100 Years of Solitude", which I found mindblowingly magical but very few books are. Would definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nyoms

Half way through Graham Norton's autobiography. It's a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better For Everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

They Made America by Harold Evans

Custardpi wrote: »
    About half way through "Love in a Time of Cholera" by Gabriel García Márquez, a moving account of life in a coastal Colombian town at the turn of the 20th century & the diverging future fortunes of two erstwhile not-quite-lovers divided by class pretensions. Reading it in the original para mejorar mi nivel en la lengua & not finding it too difficult, despite the occasional region-specific (i.e. not commonly used elsewhere) word or phrase. The richness of the language is an absolute joy to read, García Márquez is really good at capturing characters & setting scenes with just a few lines of dialogue. Don't think it's quite as good as "100 Years of Solitude", which I found mindblowingly magical but very few books are. Would definitely recommend it.

Have you read "Doce Cuentos Peregrinos" (Twelve peregrin tales)? <3 Also, I love the songs Shakira wrote for the film ("Despedida" and "Hay Amores")

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hogata

,,IT" and ,,Bag Of Bones "by S.King

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Flew through 'The Wind Through The Keyhole' by Mr King in 2 days. It's another Dark Tower book, giving insight into a couple of the characters backgrounds.I really enjoyed it.

Currently re-reading 'Small Gods' by Pratchett, trying to remember not to laugh out loud when I'm on the train can be a challenge.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A Secret History of The IRA by Ed Moloney, very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hogata

phonebook :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

We need to talk about Kevin- Lionel Shriver

It's pretty disturbing :(

I read that recently. Took me a good while to get into but then I started enjoying it. Keep meaning to watch the movie.

Just started A Storm of Swords the other day. Really enjoying it so far, especially after struggling a bit with A Clash of Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭bacon?

boards.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement