Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am reading station eleven at the minute...pretty good so far.
    The novel takes place in the Great Lakes region after a fictional swine flu pandemic, known as the "Georgia Flu", has devastated the world, killing most of the population.
    So pretty timely you could say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’ve decided to read the entire Flashman series again. Because they are brilliant (apart from the slightly disappointing 2nd book). Genuinely laugh out loud books.

• I’ve decided to read the entire Flashman series again. Because they are brilliant (apart from the slightly disappointing 2nd book). Genuinely laugh out loud books.

I have the original 'Flashman' collecting dust atop the shelf, might be time to brush it down in honour of our resident lothario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The Antipope by Robert Rankin.

I'm usually reading multiple books every day, thats the beauty of Kindle. Who reads only one book?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Who reads only one book?

Me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Me :o

Sorry, didn't mean to be arrogant, I'm just a voracious reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Sorry, didn't mean to be arrogant, I'm just a voracious reader.

No worries :), I only read physical books and wouldn't touch a kindle or the likes. My eyes wouldn't be able to handle that much screen time after working on a laptop all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

voldejoie wrote: »
    Currently re-reading Wolf Hall, and planning to re-read Bring Up The Bodies, to prepare :D Getting rave reviews so far, hope you enjoy!

I tried Wolf Hall and gave up. Her third book is getting good reviews so am wondering should i give it another go? And go for the treble?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

No worries :), I only read physical books and wouldn't touch a kindle or the likes. My eyes wouldn't be able to handle that much screen time after working on a laptop all day.
    Kindle is e-ink, not a backlit screen like a laptop. It's no harder on your eyes than paper. Or at least mine is; I couldn't swear there isn't a backlit model.

I prefer real books too, but I travel for extended periods for work (or at least I did, until recently :() and my Kindle has been immensely useful for being a book-sized library.

I enjoy it when people say they don't like kindles while making it blatantly obvious they've never even used one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

bobbyss wrote: »
    I tried Wolf Hall and gave up. Her third book is getting good reviews so am wondering should i give it another go? And go for the treble?

I also stopped reading Wolf Hall, just couldn’t get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

bobbyss wrote: »
    Ipso wrote: »
    I also stopped reading Wolf Hall, just couldn’t get into it.
    Stick to it.
    True that it can be dense, and the reader may need some knowledge of the historical era, she leaves some things like hanging or just mentioned.

I should have bought the third book, now that I have plenty of time to read :(

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They're not that bad, they're very easy on the eye. I use mine mostly when I travel or if I'm on the go. Ill still read my physical book if I'm just at home. Amazon do a Kindle deals of the day where they have 4 or 5 books on offer for £1. I have a whole pile of physical books to read and if I see one of my books from the pile that's on offer with the Kindle I'll buy it. I'll read it on a plane or a bus or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Barna77 wrote: »
    Stick to it.
    True that it can be dense, and the reader may need some knowledge of the historical era, she leaves some things like hanging or just mentioned.

I should have bought the third book, now that I have plenty of time to read :(

One of the issues with Wolf Hall, apart from the dizzying range of characters to get to grips with, was the confusion people felt over the use of "he" as a pronoun, sometimes it was hard to work out who it was referring to. Mantel acknowledged it and rectified it for both subsequent books where you begin to see "he, thomas cromwell,..." etc.

I think its worth studying the family trees and cast of characters very closely, once you have a good handle on that, the whole story opens up so much more easily i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone get their hands on Eyes of Darkness - the book that predict covid 19

if so any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

They're not that bad, they're very easy on the eye. I use mine mostly when I travel or if I'm on the go. Ill still read my physical book if I'm just at home. Amazon do a Kindle deals of the day where they have 4 or 5 books on offer for £1. I have a whole pile of physical books to read and if I see one of my books from the pile that's on offer with the Kindle I'll buy it. I'll read it on a plane or a bus or something.

I predominantly use the kindle...don;t have room for many books and always hated selling them. Great bit of tech to be honest.

Ionly buy books off a select few author who I love.

Having said that if I ever win the lotto I'll have my own Libary with floor to ceilins shelves and a ladder on wheels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

One of the issues with Wolf Hall, apart from the dizzying range of characters to get to grips with, was the confusion people felt over the use of "he" as a pronoun, sometimes it was hard to work out who it was referring to. Mantel acknowledged it and rectified it for both subsequent books where you begin to see "he, thomas cromwell,..." etc.

I think its worth studying the family trees and cast of characters very closely, once you have a good handle on that, the whole story opens up so much more easily i think.
    I had forgotten about the use of "he". Yeah it was truly confusing.
    And you're right about the family trees and list of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Think it was only towards end of Bodies that i could go more than a few pages without checking the cast of characters page. Reading the third book i dont need it at all and makes a big difference. The series does require a bit of extra effort i think, but rewards make it hugely worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm doing something I never do but I have 3 books on the go at the moment

Oathbringer - Brandon Sanderson (so I can get away from the real world)
    Rewire Your Mindset - Brian Keane (so I can stay focused and learn some new coping strategies for these strange virus days)
    The Body: A Guide For Occupants - Billy Bryson (so I can feel like I'm learning but laugh at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

I probably find this easier than some because I admit I have watched every programme going about Henry IIIV so I can remember who is who quite easily. Wolf Hall on BBC was a brilliant series based on the Hiliary Mantel books.

If there was ever a time to read a book you couldnt get into now is the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fryup wrote: »
    anyone get their hands on Eyes of Darkness - the book that predict covid 19

if so any good?

I'm reading it now. About halfway in. No mention of a virus so far but there is a dead boy who might not be dead ....
    I'm also reading Bill Bryson's new one the Body. It's brilliant as is everything that man writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It got a bit easier when I realised that Henry VIII was always referred to as 'He' with a capital H.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

gmisk wrote: »
    I am reading station eleven at the minute...pretty good so far.
    The novel takes place in the Great Lakes region after a fictional swine flu pandemic, known as the "Georgia Flu", has devastated the world, killing most of the population.
    So pretty timely you could say!

I've owned this for quite a while and now does seem like the perfect time to start reading it, given the current circumstances..

I'm just finishing Abaddons Gate (Expanse Series #3) - Should be done tonight before I go to sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Current reading situation attached... I have of course read all of the Anne books before, never such a pretty version of them though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Current reading situation attached... I have of course read all of the Anne books before, never such a pretty version of them though! :)

ah look. Think I'm going to reread these too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Who reads only one book?

I only read one book at a time.

I have somehow accumulated many, many books (drat those charity shops that I just can't pass by!!) over the years so am well provided for duriing these extraordinary times. I have over 50 at last count, and there are some whoppers there too.

Just finished The 19th Wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's latest, Talking to Strangers. He builds the whole thing around this video of a woman being arrested over pretty much nothing: the officer tailgated her, then stopped her for changing lanes without signalling. She hanged herself in her cell three days later. The question he's interested in is why we're so bad at reading people. Chapters deal with stories like the CIA trying to spot double agents, judges making decisions around setting bail, administrators trying to assess the credibility of accusations of sexual assault against a high profile sports coach, a famous rape case and the related issues of consent and decisions made while blackout drunk, waterboarding, the universality or otherwise of facial expression, and more.

It's a bit uneven, but as usual he has lots of interesting stories in there to chew over, all told very accessably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Re-reading Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir in anticipation of the sequel in June. Fantastic book if you like necromancy with a dash of sci-fi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just finished Butchers Crossing by John Williams. Slow moving, describes mundane things about hunting in American West well. Some of it was great, someokay.

Now onto Sometimes a great notion by Ken Kesey. Started it several times and gave up, now seems an ideal time though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Currently re-reading "Rocket Men" about the American space program, and on the Kindle: "Rise and Kill First" about the Israeli Mossad thingy. only 8% into that one but looks very promising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement