Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chokes for Clays

• 19-10-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi All,

Did a search on the forums but couldn't find much info on this! I have the shotgun a couple of weeks and shoot mostly Down the line at the moment to get my form right, But wit regards to chokes what should i be using as a general rule, I know what they do so people don't need to explain but what I want is advice on what i should use -

So with my shotgun I got

Full
    Imp. Mod
    Mod.
    Imp Cylinder
    Cylinder

Just quickly an explanation on - Where I would use them - And what I should be using for DTL

Also - Recommendation on buying chokes, anyone got brand recommendations?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For DTL I'd go with Modified and Improved Cylinder. If you move on to sporting clays as open as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

For DTL I'd go with Modified and Improved Cylinder. If you move on to sporting clays as open as you can get.

Don't want to disagree with or contradict you here just want to understand Chokes and get a discussion going here, but Ive been told Imp. Mod and Full and that what Ive been using - Full for the clay that goes the further and the Imp Mod for the second clay that trailing - What would a Full be used for then?

I've found myself at a distinct disadvantage with a S/S gamegun shooting sporting clays with a full and 3/4 fixed. I'm absolutely sure that if I'd shoot sporting clays with cylinder and improved cylinder my scores would be going up on average by 10 to 15%. For DTL I'd still stay away from Full, in my opinion that's a choke that's optimal for a pheasant at 35-40 yards with a nr 5 cartridge.

I've found myself at a distinct disadvantage with a S/S gamegun shooting sporting clays with a full and 3/4 fixed. I'm absolutely sure that if I'd shoot sporting clays with cylinder and improved cylinder my scores would be going up on average by 10 to 15%. For DTL I'd still stay away from Full, in my opinion that's a choke that's optimal for a pheasant at 35-40 yards with a nr 5 cartridge.

Ok Im seeing a pattern now (excuse the pun :) ) So really open my chokes up a bit more?

Not a bad idea. There isn't too many clays shot at the extreme edges of a shotgun's range so why bother tooling up the barrel for a distance you're not regularly going to engage targets at while shrinking your pattern for the average shot. Anyway, so far for a bit of a longwinded reply :D

• Advertisement

Not a bad idea. There isn't too many clays shot at the extreme edges of a shotgun's range so why bother tooling up the barrel for a distance you're not regularly going to engage targets at while shrinking your pattern for the average shot. Anyway, so far for a bit of a longwinded reply :D

Thank man for your help!

If anyone else has any comments id love to hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The chokes you use depend on your shooting style, when I started shooting dtl everybody told me to use 3/4 and full which I did for a while, I then switched to 1/2 and 3/4 and my shooting improved and I was getting better breaks closer to the trap. I can't comment for sporting as I don't shoot it but the best shooter I have watched had his gun custom bored to 5/8 in both barrels and he is the best all round shooter I have watched for all disciplines including game. Go out for a good days shooting and try a few differant combinations and find out what suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

The chokes you use depend on your shooting style, when I started shooting dtl everybody told me to use 3/4 and full which I did for a while, I then switched to 1/2 and 3/4 and my shooting improved and I was getting better breaks closer to the trap. I can't comment for sporting as I don't shoot it but the best shooter I have watched had his gun custom bored to 5/8 in both barrels and he is the best all round shooter I have watched for all disciplines including game. Go out for a good days shooting and try a few differant combinations and find out what suits you.

i shot in a sporting interantional a last year ,there was a target curling high from a bank 50 yards out and going away that requirded 17 feet lead and a good 6 feet under it ,i shot it with 3/4 and a 7.5 rc 4 i hit them all ,but its better to be over choked than under choked .you may learn to read the target and gauge what choke you will want .the more you see the more you know the more you know the more you see .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    And what I should be using for DTL

You're safe enough with 1/2 in the bottom & 3/4 in the top. A lot of people advocate 3/4 & full but I think they're too tight for DTL. Ok for ABT or OT.

You're safe enough with 1/2 in the bottom & 3/4 in the top. A lot of people advocate 3/4 & full but I think they're too tight for DTL. Ok for ABT or OT.

Would patterning my shotgun with my ammo and chokes make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

it will give you a good idea where the shot is thrown and the fit of the gun pull and bang can help you out more on this one.

it will give you a good idea where the shot is thrown and the fit of the gun pull and bang can help you out more on this one.

Thanks guys, sort of new to all this - before i just paid to go clay shooting owning your own gun opens up a can of worms and enjoyment!

Anyone bought choke tubes online anywhere? Was looking at this shop

http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=9448102.9796

Absolutely!
    Not only will it give you an idea of the spread at different distances, it will more importantly tell you where your gun is pointing in relation to where you think it's pointing!

I had a thread going earlier on this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286716

Gun fit is vital, especially if you're going to shoot clays and the pattern plate will tell you whether you need to adjust the stock on your gun.

Absolutely!
    Not only will it give you an idea of the spread at different distances, it will more importantly tell you where your gun is pointing in relation to where you think it's pointing!

I had a thread going earlier on this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286716

Gun fit is vital, especially if you're going to shoot clays and the pattern plate will tell you whether you need to adjust the stock on your gun.

Ill try that out pullandbang thanks let you know how i get on

I have a pic at home of how to read the pattern plate. I'll see if I can scan it and put it up this evening.

I have a pic at home of how to read the pattern plate. I'll see if I can scan it and put it up this evening.

That would be excellent thanks!

PatternPlate.jpg

The illustration is for a right handed shooter. Any eye dominance has been corrected, the gun mount is correct and consistent and the gun is for sporting targets.

Possible problems as follows;
    1. The comb is too high or the stock is too short or you are lifting your head.
    2. The comb is too low or the stock is too long.
    3. There is too much cast.
    4. The is too little cast.
    5. Combination of too little cast and too low a comb.
    Hope this is of help.

Hope this is of help.

Actually does, thank you - Going to try out patterning my shotgun see what happens Thanks

Advertisement