Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BYO Venues

• 01-06-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

Was in Keshk cafe recently. Nice enough spot but the real bonus was the fact that you could bring your own wine in, without corkage

Does anyone else know other restaurents where you can bring your own wine? with or without corkage?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The desperately classy Monto on Sundrive Road has a free BYO policy. It's the only place I've seen people drinking blue WKD with their meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's the only place I've seen people drinking blue WKD with their meal.
    Rotten looking stuff, looks like you should be cleaning the plates with it.

I am surprised this has not been exploited more, the difference in offy & pub prices has grown dramatically. It can be up to 10 times dearer for bottles in pubs than offied e.g. I have got heineken for 63cent and hear of bottles for over €6 in the rip-off forum.

I know my sister & her mates used to go to some veggie place in bray I think, 2 of them would split a 2L of coke & bottle of smirnoff. Tesco price €20+€2=€22.

In my local, 2L of coke would be €28, and a bottle of vodka (~20 shots) would be €77, so would be €105. So that is a overall saving of €83:eek: or €41.50 each.
    As there is no drink bought with the meal they are probably not even spending €41.50, have guaranteed seats and no blaring music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

I have also heard of Chez Max in town doing a BYO thing.

Just wondering if any of the nicer restaurents are doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Khans Balti House

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

On Robert Francis Wine, you can contribute to a new BYO google map of Ireland. See:

http://www.robertfranciswine.ie/wordpress/?p=1701

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is an Indian in Bandon that has BYO. I can not think of the name of it. Its on north main street near kilbrogan hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dom1970

There is a BYOB Listing in Ireland I found recently...

BYOB Irish Restaurant Guide

www.byob.ie

They look quite new but hopefully will have listings shortly.

I sent them the Keshk Cafe which we enjoyed a few weeks ago....

Send on your suggestions to them so we can all enjoy more BYOB Restaurants.....

Wine in Restaurants is just too damn expensive!!!!!

Down with them I say ... :rolleyes:

And how about a restaurant that allows you to bring your own beer? That would be pretty good. I wonder do the current byo places allow beer or is it limited to wine?
    By beer I don't mean cans of Dutch Gold :D I mean decent beer that is hard to find even in pubs.

Or even better, my own beer ;)

There is no legal restriction on what alcohol you bring. The sign in the window of Monto on Sundrive Road specifically says you can bring your own "wine or beer", and I've seen plenty of customers interpret this as including blue WKD.

I've never brought beer to it, but I'd be bringing my own glassware if I did. Scabby nonics: no thanks.

• Advertisement

Yea why not? maybe ask the folks at BYOB?

some of those beers cost more than wine....!

Dom1970 wrote: »
    maybe ask the folks at BYOB?
    Maybe stop pimping your website and drop the transparent satisfied customer act?
    some of those beers cost more than wine....!
    Namely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How is that related to the topic of the thread?

Fables Restaurant at the Unicorn Bar in Dooradoyle, Limerick allow you to bring your own wine too, corkage free.

None of which are available in Ireland. It is also very out of date considering the second one claims to be the strongest beer in the world and this has been topped many times since then with almost double it's 25% abv, well 41% last I heard with brewdogs Sink the Bismark.

If you are going to pimp a website you are involved with then at least say you are involved with or it is your website because nothing irks us more than pretentious shilling.

Well done guys you have chased off another post'r....

I heard boards.ie was agressive and the rumours are pretty acurate.

I think you guys need to chill out...

I know the "expensive beer" link was old but was only to prove to beer nut that beers can be more expensive than wine, I googled it, in defense of your suggestions (saruman) to bring beer to a restaurant. The last I saw a beer in Scotland had reached a proof exceeding vodka but who cares?

Its off topic.... The original poster was looking for BYOB venus here is another one Café Bliss is on Montague St. (Yes I googled that too!)

Guys perhaps you should get your own board and just sling crap at each other...

BTW saruman I checked out the brewing website you were advertising in your signature, was that yours by any chance?

Sorry Dom I think you missed the point. Myself and Beernut are members of the website in our links, not the owners. We proudly display that fact to encourage people with real interests in beer and especially brewing to go there. Beernut is an Admin on ICB but he did not set it up so it is not his site as such.

My own website is my blog, also in my sig. There is nothing wrong with this kind of advertising.

It is underhanded advertising that you seem to be doing, pretending to be a user of a website when in fact it looks like you are just pimping it.

If we have you completely wrong then I apologise.
    It is just when someone's first post is a link to a website and how great said website is, we all get suspicious and usually with good reason. It also makes it more obvious when your username matches the registered owner of the domain ;)

If it is your website and you want to advertise just put the link in your sig and suggest people take a look at your site and get involved. It is pretence we hate.

Oh by the way, I do commend you on what you are doing. byob.ie is a great idea so best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Linku wrote: »
    Khans Balti House

They have been doing this for years. I lived in Dublin in the 90's and early 00's they had it then. So did the Punjab Balti Indian in Renalagh so nothing new but people are looking for better bargains these days and establishments now have to fight for business. So it's good to see more places do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Melvin Deep Brass

So did the Punjab Balti Indian in Renalagh so nothing new

I didn't see a sign but the Punjab Balti still do it (last time I was there anyway, a few months ago). They charge corkage (can't remember how much) but I remember that a 500ml bottle of whatever I was drinking was cheaper than the 330ml Heineken that Punjab Balti have on the menu.

Big advantage with the Punjab Balti (apart from the food) is that is only a few doors up from Redmonds who have a pretty huge selection of beers (they never seem to have any of the Red Tick Beer though). So you can order food and stroll up to get what ever takes your fancy.

Advertisement