Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic suggestion

• 28-01-2012 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

Just a suggestion the mods may go for, Have you considered starting an off topic chat thread for the weather forum, It works well on other fora and seems to promote a better sense of community. Would also keep general chitchat out of the model threads and give people a place to express their feelings on the weather/runs/football/jobs whatever comes into your head.

I know there is quite a lot of stickies already, But i just thought i would throw it out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Can you use a live chat feature on the system that boards is ran on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Can you use a live chat feature on the system that boards is ran on ?

Boards is Vbulletin i think? I'm sure you can get chat plug ins for it, But they would be site wide and not forum specific i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

baraca wrote: »
    Just a suggestion the mods may go for, Have you considered starting an off topic chat thread for the weather forum, It works well on other fora and seems to promote a better sense of community. Would also keep general chitchat out of the model threads and give people a place to express their feelings on the weather/runs/football/jobs whatever comes into your head.

I know there is quite a lot of stickies already, But i just thought i would throw it out there.

We're currently looking into ways to keep the chit-chat and scientific discussion more separate, but I think that having a general chit chat thread would make things a bit messy. We will probably end up with a system of having two threads for events, one for technical discussion and one which is more chat orientated. We would be more lax in letting things go off topic in the chat thread but it should still be mostly weather related chat really, after all there is the rest of boards for the discussion of topics not related to weather!
    Going to lock this one up, if anyone has any ideas for the forum please do let us know but it's best to contact a moderator by pm rather than starting up a new thread:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement