Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There were certain conditions announced at the start.

Unless they were on the deeds they arent enforceable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have this quest building a nest in a tree beside the house.
    Nice to see them working away.

*pic quality not great as had to zoom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What sort of idiot shoots buzzards anyway ? ,and then just hangs them up tags and all .... ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I downloaded the seek app by I naturist and have to say it’s class. Just aim your camera at a plant and it will identify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I downloaded the seek app by I naturist and have to say it’s class. Just aim your camera at a plant and it will identify it.
    Looks good thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭The Rabbi

I found the app by inaturalist more appropriate when using a camera.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is a damn good app! They need to smooth out the rough edges though, its a bit buggy and slow, you dont know if its stuck or still working sometimes. All the processing is done locally which is kind of amazing, it doesn't need internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Came across these ducks yesterday, went back with a camera today. Took a bit of time, they were camera shy and anxious for cover in the rushes.

the Mallards 5 May 2020.jpg

Mallard Family 5 May 2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I called this young lad up to me yesterday morning, to have his picture taken, and he obliged, trotted on by without a care in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This is my neighbours house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Thought some might appreciate this

Old people talking about species rich hay meadows of past
    https://youtu.be/7EjPMl4ban0

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Thought some might appreciate this

Old people talking about species rich hay meadows of past
    https://youtu.be/7EjPMl4ban0

Great video, sad though to see what is mostly lost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I heard the cuckoo this evening, first time this year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

blue5000 wrote: »
    I heard the cuckoo this evening, first time this year.

Heard one at 5:30 am about 3 weeks ago, sad to say it hasn't been heard since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It's a pity they aren't more common around the country. I don't think a day has gone by here since the 2nd week of April that I haven't heard at least one. But it's real cuckoo territory here with overgrown hedges and barren land and bits & pieces that are just left go to whins and bush. Actually seen a cuckoo flying over today, quite rare for me to actually see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

Happy to have heard it quite a few times over the last two to three weeks. Having the house near trees can be a pain in the winter having to constantly clean gutters. But it's great to hear all the birds this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm delighted seeing a good number of hares around here. I saw three different sets (of 2) this morning when going to the shop. One on our own land, another in a field belong to our neighbour and the last set about a mile away in a field.
    Thankfully they haven't been affected by RHD, unfortunately the rabbit population is still very low around us and seems to be struggling to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

i think ive heard one every day this past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Heard a cuckoo around here today, delighted to hear it. The kids were out with me was great for them to hear it as well.

Not a great pic, but spotted this lizard over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I says wrote: »
    Heard a cuckoo around here today, delighted to hear it. The kids were out with me was great for them to hear it as well.

Heard one recently near me. Loads of swallows around the sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ganmo wrote: »
    Not a great pic, but spotted this lizard over the weekend

Good find - for all my wanderings over the years I've never seen one!!

That's the third I've seen, all on our ground

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Heard the cuckoo today. a few years since Iv'e heard him.
    Go mberimid beo ag an am seo aris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭minerleague

during the drought 2018 a pond on the farm dried out so I cleaned out the silt which had built up over many years. I now have water hens, ducks frogs with a good depth of water. On another part of the farm I have a good spring feeding into a stream that could be made into another pond but with the Greens looking like going into Gov and Eamonn ryan saying things like farmers should be encouraged to plant 1 Ha of trees, is it likely some form of glas will be available
    in the near future for such works? going to do it anyway but will it be carrot or stick approach ??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Really loving this thread, thanks to all for the contributions.
    Read it all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not a farmer, but living in a house with a couple of fields that used to be farmed (sheep and cattle). We are pretty much rewilding them now. Hare and pheasant are commonplace. The odd fox, and a stoat a couple of weeks ago. Frogs, lizards (or maybe newt). Lots of bird life. The starlings in the attic have finally fledged so I’ll block the gap in the eaves. Many crows, pigeons, tits, robins, wrens. Nest in postbox at the moment. 2 cuckoos. Buzzards too, and possibly a peregrine falcon. Few mice as well!

Saw a crow trap in local farmer’s field the other day( since moved). What’s the story with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

during the drought 2018 a pond on the farm dried out so I cleaned out the silt which had built up over many years. I now have water hens, ducks frogs with a good depth of water. On another part of the farm I have a good spring feeding into a stream that could be made into another pond but with the Greens looking like going into Gov and Eamonn ryan saying things like farmers should be encouraged to plant 1 Ha of trees, is it likely some form of glas will be available
    in the near future for such works? going to do it anyway but will it be carrot or stick approach ??:rolleyes:

Would like to do the same here, I have two, Area's of, biodiversity enhancement, that were left unplanted in the forestry, one is approximately half an acre, very wet, with small stream beside it, would be perfect for a pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Would love some sort of pond in my place but the neighbours below me might object. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not a farmer, but living in a house with a couple of fields that used to be farmed (sheep and cattle). We are pretty much rewilding them now. Hare and pheasant are commonplace. The odd fox, and a stoat a couple of weeks ago. Frogs, lizards (or maybe newt). Lots of bird life. The starlings in the attic have finally fledged so I’ll block the gap in the eaves. Many crows, pigeons, tits, robins, wrens. Nest in postbox starts the moment. Buzzards too, and possibly a peregrine falcon. Few mice as well!

Saw a crow trap in local farmer’s field the other day( since moved). What’s the story with them?

Larson trap? Crows are pests. I left the big sliding door on the shed open Monday night & the bastards of grey crows came in & robbed every nest of sparrows & starlings in the place.

We use the larson trap in winter, let them rear their young first. After that it's fair game!

Advertisement