Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

• 24-04-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hey folks just a heads up on this place ...
    Went in on Saturday night for my Birthday dinner and Holy Moly !!! What a feed.
    Got Chicken Wings to start and have to say they are the finest wings I've had in Ireland...even better than those Salt and Chili ones down in Emperor City :D
    Main was a..
    22oz Steak with pepper sauce nom nom , didn't come with any salad mind but did come with Sweet Potato fries which were fab too. But it was cooked to perfection.

check it out ....pretty reasonable i think price wise too. The Steak was less than 20 euro too.

It is now my sharing top spot with 'Kai' as my favorite restaurant in Town :D
    Galway really is getting some great spots for eating.

Nice touch too was the owner popped over after the meal to ask us what we thought of the place and if there was anything we didn't like/suggestions etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Went to have a look during the week but they had committed the mortal sin of not having a menu outside. If I dont know whats on offer and what it costs then I wont go in. Maybe they have rectified it at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Went to have a look during the week but they had committed the mortal sin of not having a menu outside. If I dont know whats on offer and what it costs then I wont go in. Maybe they have rectified it at this stage?

They have indeed. Walked by on Saturday morning and the mouthwatering menu, with prices, is displayed in the window. Looking forward to eating there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Walked past at the weekend, definitele a menu up then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Nice one. Must go for another perusal tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Cheers for the recommendation, OP. It looks lovely. Is there actually jazz nights in there as promised by the slogan outside? I definitely wouldn't miss that.

Ate in Rouge last night with a few friends. We'd all coincidentally wanted to eat there for a long time. Have to say, it was lovely, and very reasonably priced. We passed Creole on the way (it was closed...?) and said that we must try it next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Whats the name? is there a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

bensweeney wrote: »
    Whats the name? is there a website?

Creole is the name of the place, not sure about a website but they do have Jazz on there some nights i think as Dad told me he saw them playing in the window...But then again they only opened last thursday so maybe it was only for the opening night.

Oh and for Desert I had the Chocolate mud pie lol Let's just say the Diet started Sunday (After the wings, Steak, Wine , Mud Pie, more pints , shots , Kebabs, more pints and then Fruit gums...Quality night lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Creole is the name of the place, not sure about a website but they do have Jazz on there some nights i think as Dad told me he saw them playing in the window...But then again they only opened last thursday so maybe it was only for the opening night.

Oh and for Desert I had the Chocolate mud pie lol Let's just say the Diet started Sunday (After the wings, Steak, Wine , Mud Pie, more pints , shots , Kebabs, more pints and then Fruit gums...Quality night lol)

Oh I thought it meant the style of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That too.

(Finteresting, touch does double quotes by default)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

JustMary wrote: »
    That too.

(Finteresting, touch does double quotes by default)

Yeah, the touch site does stacked quotes alright. Noticed it a while back.

(posted from a phone, obviously :P)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Noticed they have beef ribs on the menu, will have to give they a lash see how they compare to my own.

Ditto their baby back ribs.

Pity they don't have pulled pork or brisket.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I passed by yesterday and from the look of the menu I can't wait to eat in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Is this a bbq restaurant? I thought I saw one somewhere around town to be opened soon just wondering is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Is this a bbq restaurant? I thought I saw one somewhere around town to be opened soon just wondering is this it?

It's not a BBQ restaurant although some of the food is probably flame cooked..I think the meats are marinated in spices/sauces cooked slowly making them more tender ... nom nom :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_cuisine

Louisiana Creole cuisine is a style of cooking originating in Louisiana which blends French,[1] Spanish,[1] Portuguese, Italian, Native American,[1] and African influences,[1] as well as general Southern cuisine. It is similar to Cajun cuisine in ingredients (such as the holy trinity), but the important distinction is that Cajun cuisine arose from the more rustic, provincial French cooking adapted by the Acadians to Louisiana ingredients, whereas the cooking of the Louisiana Creoles tended more toward classical European styles adapted to local foodstuffs. Broadly speaking, the French influence in Cajun cuisine is descended from various French Provincial cuisines of the peasantry, while Creole cuisine evolved in the homes of well-to-do aristocrats, or those who imitated their lifestyle. Although the Creole cuisine is closely identified with New Orleans culture today, much of it evolved in the country plantation estates so beloved of the pre-Civil War Creoles.[2] (Despite its aristocratic French roots, Creole cuisine does not include Garde Manger or other extremely lavish styles of the Classical Paris cuisine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Review online if happy, it's the best way to get their profile up and ensure their chances of success. I'm sick of good places going under, tough industry these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Menu looks great, and more than reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone know their opening hours, was thinking of heading there this evening around 6ish if they are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

I love Rouge. Great value for money, service is excellent and food is delicious. Going to try Creole...have heard lots of excellent murmurings about it in the first week. Sounds like they are on to a winner. Anyone know who owns it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Same guy who owns mochabeans.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Same guy who owns mochabeans.

Thanks.

And for anyone else the number is (091) 895 - 926 for reservations.

• Advertisement

Turned out they were having an opeing night special invitees type thing lastnight. Ended up going to 'Eat'@ Massimo, damn nice burger and pint offer for 11.50, pity about the girl working on the 'Eat' side of things in there, lacking any basic people skills would be putting it mildly, Massimo staff were good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Turned out they were having an opeing night special invitees type thing lastnight. Ended up going to 'Eat'@ Massimo, damn nice burger and pint offer for 11.50, pity about the girl working on the 'Eat' side of things in there, lacking any basic people skills would be putting it mildly, Massimo staff were good though.

I'm assuming that came with a side (such as chips etc.) as you can get a damn nice burger and a pint in Dublin Airport for 9.99!

Was at Creole tonight for supper. It was ok. Very American menu with Cajun influences. Decent quality food, decent price point because portions are massive. Dinner for two (main course only) and a bottle of wine for €50 ... It was worth it. Wine was €20 and two main courses were €30. Will blog about it at the weekend. I would not race over there just yet. Give them time to work out the bugs.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm assuming that came with a side (such as chips etc.) as you can get a damn nice burger and a pint in Dublin Airport for 9.99!
    Ya chips with it. The burger was great quality in fairness, a big lump of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Ate here yesterday, oh my God yum!!! How is this not on tripadvisor yet?!

Ate here yesterday, oh my God yum!!! How is this not on tripadvisor yet?!
    Because its open a week or two and maybe nobody recommended them to TA yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Vaughney40

Does anybody have a phone number for Creole? Have searched the advertiser this week and last week and have looked online and cant find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Vaughney40

Oh just seen somebody has already put the number up! Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I had dinner there earlier and was so disappointed. My friend had two starters (crab cakes and fried okra). The crab cakes really tasted of nothing but unseasoned mashed potato, and the okra was almost obnoxious. Tiny okra surrounded by balloons of greasy pastry, with a tasteless mayonnaise. I had a shrimp and okra gumbo which was so bland, it really tasted like bad home cooking. It came with "dirty rice" which was just boiled white rice with some diced tomato and again even for rice, it was bland! I had to ask for the corn bread that was supposed to come with it, and was given a tiny sliver. My gumbo was 13 quid, extremely overpriced in terms of portion size, flavour and quality.

I know new restaurants need time to work out the kinks but I was really surprised at how poor the food was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cathal01 wrote: »
    "dirty rice" which was just boiled white rice with some diced tomato
    Really? When I had the dirty rice there was pork and onion and some other green in it. Is it something that they change according to what they have knocking around? That'd be interesting..

Advertisement