Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liberals who aren't liberal

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

randd1 wrote: »

Whereas a genuine liberal couldn't give a f*ck either way, they would say Jenner may be a man but he's his own self, let Jenner have his tits and call himself what or who he wants, its his body and as long as he's not hurting anyone then who really cares.

However, it would appear that this "genuine liberal" would be unable to use a female pronoun when writing about Jenner. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

This is just imported US identity politics on full display. It's a cheap and easy way for people to dismiss other people and opinions they don't like by treating them as some form of "other" and you've just done the same here. You've just made a whole generalisation based on a caricature of left-wingers that's both ridiculous and suits your world view. It's like me saying that 60-something million Republican voters in the US want another Holocaust because some of them like to wave Swastika flags and salute pictures of Hitler.

In my post I also previously mentioned the right, and I was comparing how the two are alike in their approach, namely ban or belittle that which they don't like as opposed to genuine liberals that couldn't care either way and just live and let live.

But I suppose you missed/ignored that part of the post. And you reference people posting that suits their world view?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a genuine liberal would be appalled at compromises to free speech , if you arent then you arent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In my post I also previously mentioned the right, and I was comparing how the two are alike in their approach, namely ban or belittle that which they don't like as opposed to genuine liberals that couldn't care either way and just live and let live.

But I suppose you missed/ignored that part of the post. And you reference people posting that suits their world view?

I cut out the Caitlyn Jenner stuff which included your bit about the right.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    However, it would appear that this "genuine liberal" would be unable to use a female pronoun when writing about Jenner. :confused:

The could call him she if they wanted. The could call her she. They could call her him.

They could use the phrase it either, I don't know, I can't speak for another individuals outlook on the world, I was generalising that my view of a liberal wouldn't care about Jenner's situation either way and would juts live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I had a girlfriend who was a liberal, she was a pain in the arse to be honest.

Condoned Islamic extremists, condoned her son going around with rotten teeth from smoking dubes and taking speed.
    Didn't see anything wrong with it, condoned him treating his wife like crap....he was married at 20 ran out of it by 25
    His wife had enough of his drinking and drug's, it was all her fault

She was a typical SJW

I found out after herself and her SJW friends decided to strip naked lie in a field and do a bush out protest when President Bush came to Ireland....
    So they got their bush out and fed two bird's with the one scone bllsht

Bunch of crusty snowflakes...

They're all bullies those sjw's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mutant z wrote: »
    There seems to be a trend of those who claim to be liberal but are completely intolerant of those who dont share their own world outlook. They are liberal as long as you agree with them but if anyone so much as strays from their own group think they are attacked, slandered and censored. Why are so many self proclaimed liberals in favour of tighter censorship laws and clamping down on freedom of speech, which is an essence of a true liberal society. Surely being liberal means supporting free speech whether you agree with it or not. The fact is liberalism is about supporting free speech and expression and opposing censorship which is the exact opposite to what so many who claim to be on the liberal spectrum have proposed. It seems liberalism has been hijacked by SJWs and college students, in favour of identity politics which is anything but liberal. Its time real liberals stood up and defended the true liberal values of freedom of speech and democracy.

Jeez what a cry baby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Mutant z wrote: »
    There seems to be a trend of those who claim to be liberal but are completely intolerant of those who dont share their own world outlook. They are liberal as long as you agree with them but if anyone so much as strays from their own group think they are attacked, slandered and censored. Why are so many self proclaimed liberals in favour of tighter censorship laws and clamping down on freedom of speech, which is an essence of a true liberal society. Surely being liberal means supporting free speech whether you agree with it or not. The fact is liberalism is about supporting free speech and expression and opposing censorship which is the exact opposite to what so many who claim to be on the liberal spectrum have proposed. It seems liberalism has been hijacked by SJWs and college students, in favour of identity politics which is anything but liberal. Its time real liberals stood up and defended the true liberal values of freedom of speech and democracy.

There is no freedom of speech in Ireland.

I cut out the Caitlyn Jenner stuff which included your bit about the right.

Yes but only referenced the bit about the left without applying the context of the bit about the right, and how both refer to a liberal view on things.

nthclare wrote: »

Condoned Islamic extremists, condoned her son going around with rotten teeth from smoking dubes and taking speed.
    Didn't see anything wrong with it, condoned him treating his wife like crap....he was married at 20 ran out of it by 25

She was a typical SJW

I found out after herself and her SJW friends decided to strip naked lie in a field and do a bush out protest when President Bush came to Ireland....

Was she at least good looking?

• Advertisement

The could call him she if they wanted. The could call her she. They could call her him.

They could use the phrase it either, I don't know, I can't speak for another individuals outlook on the world, I was generalising that my view of a liberal wouldn't care about Jenner's situation either way and would juts live and let live.

But they couldn't just respect Jenner's wishes?

They get to decide which pronoun to use according to their own wishes?

Not very liberal.

She was a typical SJW

You ok Hun?

Sounds like you might have some post-break up issues to work through.
    Maybe you should talk to someone.
    Not me. I can't be doing with that kind of supportive sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It wouldn't go well. What does that have to do with having liberal views in Ireland?

Whoosh, the whole point went right over your head.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes but only referenced the bit about the left without applying the context of the bit about the right, and how both refer to a liberal view on things.

I did. It was a mistake.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

She was a typical SJW

1/ None of that happened.
    2/ None of the things you described would be assigned to those who are called SJW's.
    3/ None of that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aodhán Ó Ríordán
    As Minister for New Communities in 2015, he stated we could solve homelessness and import refugees into Ireland at the same time.
    Refugees were put into hotels and then allocated housing, whilst homeless persons were left in emergency accommodation

He also campaigned to abolish the Seanad, yet when he was fired by his constituents, he became a senator

Not very liberal.

They could easily respect Jenner's wishes. They could call him by whatever pronoun they choose to either, again I wouldn't be able to speak for another individual.

I was just saying a genuine liberal wouldn't care either way.

I did. It was a mistake.

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Yeah but life is short people, waste it arguing and shouting at and about people is a waste of time and energy.

Focus on the positives in your life, if you feel a need to go on to social media and find shti to be offended by, pick fights and arguments, shout people down, then its a therapist you need not social media.

But to each their own.

Happy Christmas, or whatever the offended brigade want to refer to it as and get worked up about!

My apologies.

No bother.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is regressive leftism OP not liberalism.

I know it's confusing because regressive leftists will often refer to themselves as liberals but believe me they're not.

Classical Liberalism is a completely different thing and it's entirely unfair to paint it with the crazy brush. It would be like comparing your average run of the mill conservative to a neo Nazi.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    1/ None of that happened.
    2/ None of the things you described would be assigned to those who are called SJW's.
    3/ None of that happened.

You finally caught up with me :)

You ok Hun?

Sounds like you might have some post-break up issues to work through.
    Maybe you should talk to someone.
    Not me. I can't be doing with that kind of supportive sh*te.

Lol, well why are you concerned about my post-break up issues ?

I never would have thought you thought I'd want to talk to you about my post break up "issues"

Thanks for your contradictory support :)

Was she at least good looking?

6"2 36 Inch legs size 10 and flaming red hair..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I am willing to agree the importation of identity politics from the States is toxic and damaging to our society - when people (idiots) try to apply it here while failing to recognise we've an entirely different cultural context to that ****hole across the Atlantic, with nowhere near the same levels of social conflict/tensions.
    Effectively creating issues and division where none exist.
    Hearing someone going on about "White people" in IRELAND never fails to elicit a roll of the eyes from me - it's like "You're from rural Kilkenny, you're also as white as they come, what the fúck is your actual point?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

She was a typical SJW

I know a one like this, sjw/virtue signaller extraordinaire, funniest was there a while ago when she put up a post about men's day and about men's mental health... Given the way she's treated men in the past, I'm sure they could trace there mental health issues back to her, always posting life quotes that she certainly doesn't live by

I know a one like this, sjw/virtue signaller extraordinaire, funniest was there a while ago when she put up a post about men's day and about men's mental health... Given the way she's treated men in the past, I'm sure they could trace there mental health issues back to her, always posting life quotes that she certainly doesn't live by

Oh I know the types, there's a bikini model I know of who's always embroiled in that shoite.
    She's a professional surfer based in Lahinch/London/Cornwall always fighting for people's rights, but in reality she seems very narcisstic...

Keeping execs in the friend zone, while she's monkey branching up all the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Not very liberal.

I don't agree with misgendering people who want to be called a certain pronoun; but yes, by definition these people would get to decide what pronoun to use - it's freedom of speech, a central pillar of liberalism, which you appear to be somewhat confused on the definition of.

They could easily respect Jenner's wishes. They could call him by whatever pronoun they choose to either, again I wouldn't be able to speak for another individual.

I was just saying a genuine liberal wouldn't care either way.

And I'm saying a genuine liberal would respect Jenner's wishes and not continue to use a male pronoun as you do.

Personally, I have no time for Jenner. I think she is vapid, shallow, and believes her own PR but I respect her right to be called by the pronoun she identifies with.

See what I did there?

• Advertisement

I don't agree with misgendering people who want to be called a certain pronoun; but yes, by definition these people would get to decide what pronoun to use - it's freedom of speech, a central pillar of liberalism, which you appear to be somewhat confused on the definition of.

Disrespect is not a central pillar of liberalism.
    No matter how anyone wants to dress it up as "freedom of speech" - by that token we all have a right under "freedom of speech" to refer to anyone in any terms we like regardless of how offensive this might be.

Advertisement