Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial Christmas Tree

• 20-10-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I want to buy an artifical Christmas tree this year for around €100.

Can anyone recommend a good one or best shops to look in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Argos usually have a gorgeous selection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Woodies, Heatons and Pennys all do good selections of them aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Nothing like a real tree, gives the xmas smell to the sitting room. Fake trees should be illegal! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nothing like a real tree, gives the xmas smell to the sitting room. Fake trees should be illegal! :)

Fake trees are easier to put up, look after (no silly pines!!) and they last for a good few years! And in the recession that's not a bad thing!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh, I much prefer the artificial ones- and you can get them with built-in lights, so no untangling! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Posy wrote: »
    Oh, I much prefer the artificial ones- and you can get them with built-in lights, so no untangling! :)
    pffft amateur :rolleyes:

you should spend time getting it right

then fold it up with the decoations and lights in place so next year you just have to unbend the branches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

B&Q have a massive selection of brilliant tree's all reduced to ridiculously low prices, i was very impressed.

we picked up a great 7ft 6in one for €71

saw the exact same one in woodies for €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I bought mine in pennys last year for 20 euro and its a 5ft+ tree and its very full looking I was really surprised by the quailty of it? My partner just took it out of its box the other day to make sure it was ok and it looks just the same quailty as it was last year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

B&Q have a massive selection of brilliant tree's all reduced to ridiculously low prices, i was very impressed.

we picked up a great 7ft 6in one for €71

saw the exact same one in woodies for €150.

Hey,

Do they have any 9-10ft trees do you know?

I'm looking at a 9ft in BT's for €350.

I'd take a spin to B&Q if they have bigger sizes

you can get them with built-in lights, so no untangling!
    pffft amateur :rolleyes:

you should spend time getting it right
    then fold it up with the decorations and lights in place so next year you just have to unbend the branches
    I've actually decided against the pre-lit tree, they're a bit lame alright. Plus I've discovered that LED lights come in 'warm white', not just that blue kind of white so that's my new plan.. plus they have lights in Argos for half price, woo! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I have to second Pennys for trees - we got ours there two Christmasses ago and to be honest I was a tad dubious at first but I have to say it looks great.

We've used our tree for two years so far and I'm very happy with how it looks, it was great value (can't remember how much exactly but under €40.00) and it looks fab. We have a second floor apartment so didn't want to be hauling a real tree up and down stairs etc and I'm very happy that we went artificial although I would always have prefered real trees before that, for convenience, price and looks my Pennys Christmas tree has come up trumps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey,

Do they have any 9-10ft trees do you know?

I'm looking at a 9ft in BT's for €350.

I'd take a spin to B&Q if they have bigger sizes

They have 10ft's in stock in Woodies Bray. I'm actually after a 9ft myself. At a stretch, I'll buy it and cut 6 inches off the bottom to get it to fit.

Tell me though, have you a link to the BT tree or can you tell me how it compares to the trees in the likes of Woodies etc I mean aesthetically, is it just the same type of branch/fake pine needles as all the trees everywhere else but just in a large size or is it more realistic looking/better quality than the trees available elsewhere in the likes of Woodies?

Just finished a massive renovation and restoration on our Victorian end of Terrace and want to go to town on classy tree's and garlands and decorations for the place.

I mean financially given the times we are in its not the best idea for us to be spending big money on Christmas decorations but we have decided to put off other things for a year so we can do it. We all love Christmas in our house and all through the long process of planning and doing the renovation over the last few years, what decorations we would like and where we would put them were always part of the 'Dream' for the new house. The Electrician was laughing when we were going through the electrical spec and plug location plans with him at first fix....
    What do you want a socket up there high on the sides of all the chimney breasts for? A lit Xmas garland over the fireplace
    Why do you want a socket inset where the stairs end and the bannister turns along the landing? So there isn't a fairy light cable for the xmas garlands taped down the hall wall to a socket in the kitchen
    etc etc etc :D

We'll finally feel we are truelly finished the renovation job when we see the house at Christmas with all the decorations up.

I'm probably preaching to the converted here :D

On a sidenote: You know you've got a sale when you are selling your house when you hear prospective buyers talking about where they would put the Christmas Tree :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've actually decided against the pre-lit tree, they're a bit lame alright. Plus I've discovered that LED lights come in 'warm white', not just that blue kind of white so that's my new plan.. plus they have lights in Argos for half price, woo! :D
    A pre lit tree ?
    Dear Lord no, those things are hideous

No what I mean is get a tree and put your decorations and lights on it, leave a little extra slack with the lights cable near sections of the tree.

Come the new year just take the tree apart, flatten the branches and put back in the box. Ye leave on them lights and decorations d'ya see ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Artificial tree so much kinder to the environment...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Got lovely one in Argos yesterday. Down from 70 to 35. Great sale on.

A pre lit tree ?
    Dear Lord no, those things are hideous

No what I mean is get a tree and put your decorations and lights on it, leave a little extra slack with the lights cable near sections of the tree.

Come the new year just take the tree apart, flatten the branches and put back in the box. Ye leave on them lights and decorations d'ya see ?
    Yeah, after some research I discovered they look God awful.
    Keeping last year's tree- I'll certainly try that storage idea, that'd be handy alright! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I'm just looking at their sale brochure here actually and I think you bought the same one I'm looking at :) Have you took it out of the box and put it together to see how it looks? Is it one of those which comes in 3 full sections so that you just have to bend down the branches?

Was looking at a similar one in Dunnes on Monday, they seemed a little expensive at €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

I was just looking at the half price ones online, I might pick one up in the morning in Swords, looks like a good deal. Which one did you get can I ask? Hard to tell if they're nice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

This might change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

I've been chasing two x-mas trees in B&Q for over a week now and they keep on coming in and selling out straight away :(:eek: any ideas where else i could get a nice arlificial tree in dublin? the one in B&Q in 7ft tall and nice and full, wouldnt want to spend more than €100 on it either.

• Advertisement

I've been chasing two x-mas trees in B&Q for over a week now and they keep on coming in and selling out straight away :(:eek: any ideas where else i could get a nice arlificial tree in dublin? the one in B&Q in 7ft tall and nice and full, wouldnt want to spend more than €100 on it either.

We spent most of yesterday trying to track a nice one down too :)

We went to Argos, B&Q, Homestore & More and Dunnes. The ones in Argos are really cheapy looking, their catalogue is very misleading, looks great in the catalogue but looks cheap up front. B&Q have a great selection but are a little expensive compared to the rest. Homestore & More only have 3/4 types but they are good quality and they're all under €100.

However, in my opinion Dunnes have the best range and best quality by far! We went to Dunnes Bishopstown in Cork and they have a massive selection 2 weeks ago but most of the nicer ones are gone. They did however track us down the one we did want which was the Colorado 7ft for €130. It's a really gorgeous tree and it's so easy to put up, all the branches are hinged and it really does look real. The 7ft one we got was €130 but they had a similar version called the 'Colorado Slim' for €90, I'd definitely go for it if you don't want to go up as far as €130.

Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

Thanks a mill trotter_inc :)
    I just got a call from B&Q they've got my tree in, gonna pick it up after work. Sooo happy :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Got mine on saturday in Marks and Spencer. Have to say it was much nicer and cheaper than the selection in Dunnes. Easy to put up and looks very real! Im delighted with it!

Pudding11 wrote: »
    Got mine on saturday in Marks and Spencer. Have to say it was much nicer and cheaper than the selection in Dunnes. Easy to put up and looks very real! Im delighted with it!

Damn you ;) I never thought of trying M&S, our tree is up and has all it's decorations on so no chance of us taking it down and exchanging now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Damn you wink.gif I never thought of trying M&S, our tree is up and has all it's decorations on so no chance of us taking it down and exchanging now biggrin.gif

Sorry :) To be honest M&S wasnt in my mind originally but there werent any nice ones left anywhere else! B&Q were out, Dunnes werent great for the insane prices they were charging. Got a lovely 6ft one in M&S for 82 which was great considering the options elsewhere and how lovely it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Got what we consider the best looking fake tree we ever seen in the Christmas shop in Coldwinters. Its made by national tree Co, 6FT5 and cost €225 and will have paid for itself in a few years. The national tree Co website is crap so don't judge by looking at their website. Good range of trees and other tat in the shop but generally a bit pricey so haggle.

Advertisement