Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to find information/guidelines on smartphone use, online bullying?

• 25-03-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for information on how Irish schools, at primary and secondary level, deal with/utilise smartphones in the classroom, and whether there are clear and consistent guidelines as to what to do/say that are put forward by the Dept of Educaiton and Skills.

I can see there are broad strokes, such as the Statement of Strategy 2019-2021, which (on p.12) says that:

We will support education providers to help learners to develop social and emotional competence, in order to build resilience, self-efficacy and empathy, mindful of the challenges faced in the modern world, including those posed by the use of technology.

Eslsewhere, the Dept has committed to utilising digital technology in the classroom, but digital technology encompasses a wide range of devices and resources, and I have struggled to find more detailed device-specific guidelines.

For example, is it common practice to introduce the theme of online bullying, or smartphone addiction as part of the curriculum, and if so, are there guidelines on the finer details of how this should be done, and where do I find them, and where can I find the curriculum itself.

Or does the Dept leave it at the broad strokes, and it's up to each school to develop the finer details?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for information on how Irish schools, at primary and secondary level, deal with/utilise smartphones in the classroom, and whether there are clear and consistent guidelines as to what to do/say that are put forward by the Dept of Educaiton and Skills.

I can see there are broad strokes, such as the Statement of Strategy 2019-2021, which (on p.12) says that:

Eslsewhere, the Dept has committed to utilising digital technology in the classroom, but digital technology encompasses a wide range of devices and resources, and I have struggled to find more detailed device-specific guidelines.

For example, is it common practice to introduce the theme of online bullying, or smartphone addiction as part of the curriculum, and if so, are there guidelines on the finer details of how this should be done, and where do I find them, and where can I find the curriculum itself.

Or does the Dept leave it at the broad strokes, and it's up to each school to develop the finer details?

Thanks all.

Left to 'local arrangements'. Our school students don't do the dog on it and only use phones at lunch and left in lockers. Other schools students openly use phones in class and nothing is done.

Have a look at the SPHE program though... Much of the material teachers use is from Webwise.ie . They offer free workbooks. It goes into the realm of sexting though so skirting around the ethos question.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Schools are expected to write their own Acceptable use policy so if you look at some school websites you might find their policy there. This policy is supposed to be formed in consultation with all the stakeholders so teachers, parents, students etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes thanks both , I've seen that it is supposed to be devised at school level with input from all involved, but that is likely to end up with different schools having noticeably different level of and attitudes to technology, especally mobile technology, in the classroom.

So what I wondering if there is a nationwide standard approach to educating kids on the dangers of uploading photos to social media - by that I mean that either it is scheduled to come up as part of something like SPHE, or else, if it does come up, teachers across the country will follow guidelines and deal with it in a similar way.

But it doesn't sounds like the finer details are hammered out at department level, just the broad strokes, and the implementation is left to each school to deal with.

Would that be a fair summation of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Yes that is part of the SPHE curriculum,.have a look at Webwise for examples of the resources used by SPHE teachers in this area. I know that a lot of schools have now developed separate modules specifically around this area as part of Wellbeing to further support and develop what is being taught in SPHE. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Our school banned all mobiles. Part of our enrolment and AUP policy. Too much of a minefield and open to abuse.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

As mentioned www.webwise.ie

Webwise is the Irish Internet Safety Awareness Centre which is co-funded by the Department of Education and Skills and is co-financed by the European Union’s Connecting Europe Facility.

Advertisement