Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play a trad instrument?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beauchamps Bagenal

I've recently taken up the tenor banjo. It's coming to me easy enough, because I've been playing guitar since I'm a kid, but I'm definitely not up to session standard yet! I've been learning some good tunes from '50 solos for Irish tenor banjo', but have really got to improve my speed of playing..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

I play the whistle and banjo. Started learnign the whistle when i was 5, moved on to the banjo. stopped playin for bout 8 years but started again last year. Want to start sessioning, moved to a new place beside the cobblestone in Smithfield so hope i follow through on it. I cant remember most the songs i knew which is killing me. I used to know a ridiculous number.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jeanadamz

I really wish I had joined some musical orgs during my college days, just as now I wanted to learn guitar and other stringed instrument. Hope to have it achieved this year or by the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭ Martha Important Spacewalk

I play button accordion and I came third in the all ireland fleadh this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I play the Mandolin & Bouzouki.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Just taken up the penny whistle, I can play the recorder but everyone can play that :p . I hope I can be half decent within a year or so of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I play the Piano Accordion (although it is looked down on by people who don't deem it "Traditionally Irish":rolleyes:) and the tin whistle. I am also a rather inexperienced Bodhrán player

I also play piano(does that count?)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TacAide

I play the Bodhran, tin whistle (key of D) and the banjo, and just bought a fiddle, I have been playing for the last 12 to 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

as you might guess from my boardsie name, I play the banjo!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

banjobongo wrote: »
    as you might guess from my boardsie name, I play the banjo!

No way, I always thought you played the Bongos!

Play whistles myself, all types from lows to altos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciaran180

Started playing the tenor banjo about 2 months ago. Coming along good

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Have just reacquainted myself with the tin whistle after about 20 years!

Picked it up again a couple of weeks ago and can play the old favourites - Maggie in the Woods, Egan's polka (had to google the names of both of these as I knew them as GDGABDE and FABA!!)

Looking at the helpful links thread, there seem to be a multitude of sites out there that provide notes etc, but how do you know what to play?

I only know these as I learned them in National School

I have a D whistle btw

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Hi NBTD

Stick to the big tunes! The repertoire most commonly played in sessions. We (i.e. Ceoltóirí Chluain Tarbh) run a class/slow session for adult learners on Dublin's Northside. We put together a list of 10 essential sets as a guidance in builing up repertoire. You could do worse than start with these:

Reels
    The new copperplate
    The old Copperplate
    The Cameronian

Cooley’s
    The wise maid

The silver spear
    Father Kelly’s
    Miss Monaghan

The maid behind the bar
    The Kilmaley
    The green mountain

The Tarbolton
    The Longford collector
    The sailor’s bonnet

Jigs
    The geese on the bog
    The Connaught man’s rambles
    Out in the ocean

The Battering Ram
    The Blarney Pilgrim

The pipe on the Hob #1
    The pipe on the hob #2

Hornpipes
    Off to California
    The Liverpool hornpipe
    Murphy’s hornpipe

Polkas
    The Ballydesmond #2
    The Ballydesmond #1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't play one of these, but I want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

tarbolton wrote: »
    Hi NBTD

Stick to the big tunes! The repertoire most commonly played in sessions. We (i.e. Ceoltóirí Chluain Tarbh) run a class/slow session for adult learners on Dublin's Northside. We put together a list of 10 essential sets as a guidance in builing up repertoire. You could do worse than start with these:

Reels
    The new copperplate
    The old Copperplate
    The Cameronian

Cooley’s
    The wise maid

The silver spear
    Father Kelly’s
    Miss Monaghan

The maid behind the bar
    The Kilmaley
    The green mountain

The Tarbolton
    The Longford collector
    The sailor’s bonnet

Jigs
    The geese on the bog
    The Connaught man’s rambles
    Out in the ocean

The Battering Ram
    The Blarney Pilgrim

The pipe on the Hob #1
    The pipe on the hob #2

Hornpipes
    Off to California
    The Liverpool hornpipe
    Murphy’s hornpipe

Polkas
    The Ballydesmond #2
    The Ballydesmond #1

Excellent, thanks for the help! Will download the notes for these and get cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnpratt

hi.....i play guitar/bass guitar looking to form a folk /ballad /trad band anyone interested....send me a pm...i will contact you guys...john

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chocoholic Anonymous

Whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Whistle is my main instrument. I have been playing a bit of flute for a while now but never dedicated as much time to it as the whistle but am slowly working on building up my tone/embouchure. I'm also learning to the play the uilleann pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Hi, everyone. I'm an American permanently resident in Sligo with my Irish husband, and a classically trained pianist and choir member. My husband is not musical and I miss the piano I had to sell when I moved here. I have a good solid learner's bodhrán and a pleasant low D whistle and I'd like to learn both, along with the traditional music. No, I have no Irish ancestry or background. Yes, I love music and I'm longing to play in session when I'm far enough along. If you're a teacher in the area or you know one, would you please look at my post in the teachers' thread? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yffisch

I play mainly the button accordion and a couple of different flutes :) Swedish music is my main focus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 hakunapesa

Hi

I play Uilleann Pipes and Tenor Banjo. I'm Ballinasloe, is there anyone near by who would be interested in learning tunes together or just playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Well, I am now a bodhrán player. I went to Junior Davey's excellent music school this week at the Coleman center in Gurteen, and I have a fine solid silver-gray bodhran newly made in Ben March's bodhrán-making class. Yes, I am a beginner. No, I won't throw myself at your session until I am sure I can contribute something, but as a former pianist and chorister I at least have a great understanding of rhythm. Off now to practice my hour a day. :)

Some of the teachers there also told me I was a good enough whistler (meaning the basic pucker-your-lips-and-blow, not tin whistle) to participate in sessions, which was not something I expected at all, but am happy to try. As for the low whistle, I am not sure my hands are literally large enough to play it, but I'd like someone to tell me differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Speedwell wrote: »
    Well, I am now a bodhrán player. I went to Junior Davey's excellent music school this week at the Coleman center in Gurteen, and I have a fine solid silver-gray bodhran newly made in Ben March's bodhrán-making class. Yes, I am a beginner. No, I won't throw myself at your session until I am sure I can contribute something, but as a former pianist and chorister I at least have a great understanding of rhythm. Off now to practice my hour a day. :)

Some of the teachers there also told me I was a good enough whistler (meaning the basic pucker-your-lips-and-blow, not tin whistle) to participate in sessions, which was not something I expected at all, but am happy to try. As for the low whistle, I am not sure my hands are literally large enough to play it, but I'd like someone to tell me differently.

Welcome to what is a wonderful world and potentially an obsession that can take over your life :-D

Unless you have really really small hands I'd be surprised if they are physically too small to play a low whistle (I have seen children playing them). If you just can't make the stretch on a low D, or some of the holes are too big for your finger to cover, you could try a low F whistle. They're not much use for playing in sessions, but they sound lovely and the finger stretch is much less than on a low D. And of course, there's always the humble ordinary tin whistle - nothing wrong with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CianW5

I play Concertina, Piano and Bodhrán. Piano is my favourite and for anyone starting an instrument I would recommend starting the Piano first.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Piano, fiddle, guitar.

Piano my favourite, followed by fiddle. Love the versatility of the piano, can do any genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't played for a while now, but lack of leisure activities since mid march at the weekends has definitely rekindled my interest, and so I've recently taken out the whistles I own and have started to mess around with them again.

I also play flute, and am considering getting myself new Uilleann Pipes in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Derwent

Just picked up a mandolin last week and taken some online classes via online academy of irish music to get started. So far I've learned the Kerry Polka, The Foggy Dew, Rocky Road to Dublin and am fiddling about with the Creggan White Hare. It's enormous fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

I play the flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zouk2003

Bouzouki player here. If any flute/whistle/box players are into getting a duo or trio band together, then giz a message. Dublin area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Agettle

most of all i like to play the guitar

Advertisement