Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam Marathon

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ISOP wrote: »
    O'Reilly's just off dam square looks a good central location if anyone is up for it, seems convenient enough if everyone is staying in central Amsterdam?

I’m still up for a beer if anyone is about - what time you thinking?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    O'Reilly's just off dam square looks a good central location if anyone is up for it, seems convenient enough if everyone is staying in central Amsterdam?

I’m still up for a beer if anyone is about - what time you thinking?
    I'll be there 2 or half 2 Tommorrow depending on how it goes! Hopefully see you there. White singlet, red asics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Any news or updates?

Itziger wrote: »
    Any news or updates?

Perfect conditions, flat route, good support.

Was aiming for sub 4 or B goal of sub 4:10. Came home in 4:22. Not too happy not too disappointed.

• Advertisement

I'm in Slainte here not far from O'Reilly. Will be here for an hour or so. Bad day for me at the office. Was looking for sub 4 and was going great till 20 when my stomach went. Had to stop a few times and revert to run/walk. Got home in 4:24. Really great marathon

I'm in Slainte here not far from O'Reilly. Will be here for an hour or so. Bad day for me at the office. Was looking for sub 4 and was going great till 20 when my stomach went. Had to stop a few times and revert to run/walk. Got home in 4:24. Really great marathon

Sounds like the same as me - just got sick again for the second time.

Won’t make it to Slainte within the hour but if your grabbing some grub or pints later - I’ll come to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Having done far less training than I should have over last few weeks I knew I was undertrained [new job with travel and home stuff]. So went off somewhere between 4 hours and 4.10 group. Knew as soon as 2 or 3 miles the effort was too hard. So slowed down a fraction, doing a pile slower miles. [the experience of really blowing up hard a few times!!!]

Ended up adopting a "run-walk strategy" for last 7 or 8 miles & came home in 4.38 or so. Don't really mind the time, as I knew I was undertrained and doing it for my own health [mental and physical]. So had a great day, and ran with a smile on my face [...er..lotsof the time - despite being utterly spent in my legs]

[The day before the plan in my head was to go with 4.30 and attempt some kind of tiny negative split & should have done that].

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Runninghard

I did the half on Sunday. Happy with my time as was struggling. Lots of Irish on course and for support. Interesting race - so many runners you were never alone but atmosphere was almost dead in places. Some mates who did the full said the buzz wasn’t a patch on Dublin. Nice flat course with only one climb out of an underpass towards the end. Lots of water and refreshments on course.

The finish in the stadium was a nice touch but the bottleneck to exit afterwards was positively dangerous especially for tired and dehydrated runners as refreshments were outside again. I saw at least 2 people get weak. Not sure how bad it was for the full finishers. Would definitely recommend it - if they get the stadium exit sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just caught up with the actual race itself - the actions of Kenenisa Bekele are a bit mad. I was laughing when the day before at the expo, someone on a TV was saying that they were going for a world record...

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/10/examinaton-kenenisa-bekeles-bizarre-day-2018-tcs-amsterdam-marathon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Bailed in today for next year's race :) decent enough price for return flights Sat - Mon €95. Hotel pricey enough but 5 Star so probably too posh for my blood but hey :)
    Anyone else signed up?
    Will I make a new 2019 thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Bailed in today for next year's race :) decent enough price for return flights Sat - Mon €95. Hotel pricey enough but 5 Star so probably too posh for my blood but hey :)
    Anyone else signed up?
    Will I make a new 2019 thread??

I'm in for this following Berlin PFO (X2). Looking forward to this.

Advertisement