Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a forest manager

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

you'd be surprised to know that a lot of Hurley ash actually comes from England and I heard of it being imported from Romania also, don't be thinking your oul shtick is a native one !

Please God, Please God, Please do not allow the dastardly emerald ash borer to hitch a lift on one of those imported hurley butts.

The Genus Fraxinus (ash) is under significant stress world wide, those that are resistant to ASh dieback are more susceptible to ash borer and vice versa.
    Fortunately (for our ash) there is a significantly reduced population of Ash between us and the ash borer thanks to dieback in europe, but I understand that the emerald ash borer has thus far made it about 1000km west of Moscow (it got to Moscow from the US).

I have noticed that this summer was not too bad on the dieback front, perhaps that long hot spell dried out the leaf petioles on the forest floor too much and inhibited significant spore production?

tim

• Company Representative Posts: 53 Verified rep I'm a Forest Manager, AMA

Do you think there could be an opportunity to create public walks and cycle paths (Greenways even) through forests in the future if the local governments were to perhaps offer to collaborate with private or public forestry services or will forestry land remain somewhat private land? (Even on the outskirts of woodland?)

there is a department scheme called the neighborwood scheme which is designed to do just that :)

Hmmmm? money in the spruce forests???? Yes I'd agree for those who use contractors and forestry companies, spruce is a money maker. BUT!!! For a man/woman who likes to do the forestry work themselves, for folk who wish to add value to the timber before selling.... THEN I'd suggest that spruce is FAR from ideal. For example Larch planted as a nurse to oak at home here in Tang has proved profitable and easy to add value to, with just a chainsaw round straining posts can be produced yielding perhaps 10 euro per tree, as we have a small sawmill we also make sawn posts, and rough boards for trailer floors sheds etc.

yeah perfectly true if you are devoting most or all your time to the forest but that's not reasonable for someone who has a different job to attend to

Do you think there could be an opportunity to create public walks and cycle paths (Greenways even) through forests in the future if the local governments were to perhaps offer to collaborate with private or public forestry services or will forestry land remain somewhat private land? (Even on the outskirts of woodland?)

there is a neighborwood scheme to basicly create an amenity forest for people to use
    Should the grower of the raw materials not have significant knowledge of the likely end uses for his product???

I am aware of its existence that's enough, it's like saying someone who grows malting barley should know how to make whiskey

on the joinery I would talk with them to see what spec they wanted it cut to but generally 20cm top diameter and cut into 4.9 3.7 3.1 lengths unless stated otherwise by the joinery, I actually sold some of my own oak to a joinery beside me a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Further to this I'd suggest that although making money is important, what we are doing as foresters is growing trees, and so many folk in Ireland seem to have lost sight of this. It is vital when planting that we have a vision for the end use of the timber.

Couldn't agree with this more. The State forestry body should have an environmental focus, not a commercial one, imo.

I read this article a few months ago and Coillte does not come out of it looking well.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/native-trees-cover-just-2-of-ireland-how-can-this-be-increased-1.3553824

To the Forest Manager - do you honestly, hand-on-heart think Coillte are currently operating environmental & ecological best practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

TheBully wrote:
    If you could only ever look at one species of tree for the rest of your days what would it be?

Italian Alder is a lovely tree but the money is in spruce forests

Hi, - lovely tree
    Is Italian Alder deep rooting. Will it interfere with my geothermal pipes at 800mm deep?

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote:
    To the Forest Manager - do you honestly, hand-on-heart think Coillte are currently operating environmental & ecological best practice?

first I don't work with coillte and second there have been a succession of CEO's in coillte who push to harvest younger and younger timber (as stated in the article) to make the figures look good so they can move on to better jobs and in doing so there will be a land slide in the production of timber coming from it in the next 5 years or so which will be great for forest owners as coillte effectively acts as a monopoly who dictates the price paid for timber so as a forester who acts on behalf of privatly owned forests I do not like it

in terms of environmental practices they adhere to the environmental guidelines set down by the forest service which is rigourous and as said before they are randomly inspected annually with regards to their dual certification (FSC and PEFC)

Peppa Cig wrote:
    Hi, - lovely tree Is Italian Alder deep rooting. Will it interfere with my geothermal pipes at 800mm deep?

you could plant some poplar trees shallow rooting and fast growing, just don't put them near roads or buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭flatty

I've 30 acres which I don't farm, but it's reasonable land in the west of Ireland. I love forests.
    How much would it yield roughly if I put it over to forest?

flatty wrote:
    I've 30 acres which I don't farm, but it's reasonable land in the west of Ireland. I love forests. How much would it yield roughly if I put it over to forest?

in terms of premiums anything from €6300 to €8250 per year with no set up cost, you'd have to let a forester walk the land

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Twould seem a shame in some ways, but that's decent money.
    Would a forester be able to set that up, or how does it work?

flatty wrote:
    Twould seem a shame in some ways, but that's decent money. Would a forester be able to set that up, or how does it work?

Yes you can contact a forester, the department has a list of registered foresters organised by county

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/forestservicegeneralinformation/RegisterOfForestersandForestryCompanies020818.xls

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have ya a number for a lad selling logs around Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How come all the hauliers who transport logs from forest to mills have to do it illegally? They have to overload, and doctor tachographs to get in profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how come the area after tress are felled is never cleaned up, just left over branches and bits of trees everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

coillte effectively acts as a monopoly who dictates the price paid for timber so as a forester who acts on behalf of privatly owned forests I do not like it

Interesting this and surprised there aren't more questions asked about Coilltes interests in 2 of the larger mills in waterford and Clonmel.

I do often wonder which is more detrimental to our Native woodlands Agri farmers constantly pushing out and clearing land/boundaries or commercial forestry. I think the former would be happy to see Ireland as one large field which leads me to believe the grants allocated to agri farming are to high and the incentives for forestry to low.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

in terms of premiums anything from €6300 to €8250 per year with no set up cost, you'd have to let a forester walk the land

Is that commercial spruce or native deciduous woodland?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Interesting this and surprised there aren't more questions asked about Coilltes interests in 2 of the larger mills in waterford and Clonmel.

I do often wonder which is more detrimental to our Native woodlands Agri farmers constantly pushing out and clearing land/boundaries or commercial forestry. I think the former would be happy to see Ireland as one large field which leads me to believe the grants allocated to agri farming are to high and the incentives for forestry to low.

You make an important point. I have farmer neighbours uproot miles of ancient mixed-species hedgerow every year, throughout the year regardless of rules on species support. This more natural network is being replaced by a less-effective artificial plantation system which is far less effective and frankly ugly.

Chisler2 wrote:
    Is that commercial spruce or native deciduous woodland?

The lower figure is conifers and the higher figure is native woodland
    Chisler2 wrote:
    You make an important point. I have farmer neighbours uproot miles of ancient mixed-species hedgerow every year, throughout the year regardless of rules on species support. This more natural network is being replaced by a less-effective artificial plantation system which is far less effective and frankly ugly.

you technically need a felling licence to take these out and I would imagine it is illegal

this is the last day of the AMA so I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the thread there were some interesting questions and points made and I think we all learned a little from each other and spread the word about forestry further than it generally would on this site

thank you :)

• Advertisement

beertons wrote:
    Have ya a number for a lad selling logs around Kildare?

go to the forestry forum and you'll get a few lads there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fair play for taking the time.

The lower figure is conifers and the higher figure is native woodland

you technically need a felling licence to take these out and I would imagine it is illegal

Yes it is illegal. However there appears to be no enforcement of the law.

Thank you for your patient comprehensive responses. It has been interesting and informative - much food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Hi,

Are you aware of the Save Leitrim group, and would you have a view of their experience of forestry?

Thanks

I have heard of them and to be honest they don't seem to have a coherent direction as to what they want to achieve, sometimes they push for a stop to afforestation then other times they claim they want more native woodlands planted

they are looking to save leitrim (jobs ect) despite the fact that in reality forestry provides a lot of the jobs in the agricultural sector as I explained earlier in the thread based on the latest census data

with the vibe I get from them they should be renamed "the Bull McCabe group"

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, Forestry Manager :) I hope everyone enjoyed it, closing it up now.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement