Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something nice in 500-1000€ range

• 23-07-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get my first decent watch - at the moment I have a 15 year old rectangular silver d'Alton. Was planning on getting a smart watch but reading up on them now is not the time to buy with new hardware potentially on the way.

I'd like something that I can wear with a suit (usually navy, 3-4 days per week) and with a more casual shirt too. I'd tend to avoid black for this reason. I also have relatively small wrists (and I'm 30 so not something too old-man)

Been looking at Tag Heuer, Longines, Breitling etc. I don't know a lot about watches but welcome any suggestions or places to look. I'm in the UK and Switzerland at least once per month if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

You won’t get a Breitling with that budget. And any Tag watches that would fit your budget will be quartz fashion watches. Are you open to pre owned? That would open up a much bigger selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Ionised

This would be a common suggestion...but for the money is hard to beat in my opinion.

Seiko Cocktail Time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Homer wrote: »
    You won’t get a Breitling with that budget. And any Tag watches that would fit your budget will be quartz fashion watches. Are you open to pre owned? That would open up a much bigger selection.

Saw a Tag Heuer F1 in that price range recently.

Definitely open to second hand and budget is just an indication.

I was looking at something like this but prefer a silver or brown strap

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0012134/Longines-Heritage-Chronograph-Mens-Watch/p?source=aw&awc=5856_1532371481_5cd597dad37292d7fe6f66a8dff79dcf&utm_source=aw&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=249371

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I was in Hour Passion there in Kildare village for the first time and cripes if I had 500 to a grand there was a load of fabulous watches I could've bought. Might be worth a look.

Ionised wrote: »
    This would be a common suggestion...but for the money is hard to beat in my opinion.

Seiko Cocktail Time

Thanks - looks nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Ionised

Thanks - looks nice

Wrist shot..

35705962791_03cac0d403_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd like something that I can wear with a suit (usually navy, 3-4 days per week) and with a more casual shirt too. I'd tend to avoid black for this reason. I also have relatively small wrists (and I'm 30 so not something too old-man)

Been looking at Tag Heuer, Longines, Breitling etc. I don't know a lot about watches but welcome any suggestions or places to look.

Longines-Conquest-43-Automatic-Blue-Dial-L37784966-13412-2.jpg

At EUR899 that's not only within your budget, but it also looks and feels like a watch worth well over that kind of money

Linky

fat bloke wrote: »
    I was in Hour Passion there in Kildare village for the first time and cripes if I had 500 to a grand there was a load of fabulous watches I could've bought. Might be worth a look.

I was very disappointed the last time I was there.

unkel wrote: »
    I was very disappointed the last time I was there.

Not to worry, they have cut price frying pans around the corner :)

That Longines is gorgeous. What's the lume situation on that baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

I heard there was a sweet looking Stowa marine original for sale on adverts within your budget ;):p

Although that Longines will be hard to beat if looking for something new. Far better investment than a quartz Tag F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Something pre owned I would advise

• Advertisement

Seiko Sarb035 or 033 im like a broken record but love thrse watches.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Pick up a pre owned quartz TAG for around 600 and flip it after a few months if you want a change
    You won’t lose money

I know nothing about Tag, but this might be worth keeping an eye on,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-Monaco-WW2110-FC6177-Gents-Watch-37mm-Case/123269801328?hash=item1cb373e570:g:mWcAAOSwQDhbV0bU

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Monaco will end up close enough to the buy it now price. Certainly over GBP 1000, which is well outside of the budget of the OP!

Always exciting to put in a bid and see what happens though :)

Thank you to everyone for your helpful input.

Just as a follow-up - what should I be looking for in terms of characteristics of a new watch ? I was a bit surprised by the notion of "quartz fashion watch" - this was new to me?

For those who say to go second hand - what would you go for?

Is there any value in increasing budget a bit - is there something a bit out of my budget range (say 1500-2000) that would be a significantly better investment?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just as a follow-up - what should I be looking for in terms of characteristics of a new watch ? I was a bit surprised by the notion of "quartz fashion watch" - this was new to me?

Is there any value in increasing budget a bit - is there something a bit out of my budget range (say 1500-2000) that would be a significantly better investment?

Increasing the budget will get you the same watch new as you can get (with a bit of patience) used for just under €1000, IMHO. Sterling is at 89p at the moment, that's probably the best place to look.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Are you looking for Swiss or Japinese or German. I don't know about an investment piece at in this price rang.

https://youtu.be/RUKNYEi9JfE

Nice omega here that might be an investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd go for something like a Hamilton Jazzmaster day date.
    https://www.harveystore.com/products/hamilton-mens-h32505731-jazzmaster-day-date-auto-watch

Or if you can go a bit more than a grand, I'd go for a Sinn 104.
    https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/104_St_Sa_I.htm

The Hamilton come in a big range with different colour dials, but the sinn it's either a black or white dial. Black looks nicer imho, different versions here:
    https://www.sinn.de/en/Instrument_Watches/104.htm

Some day I'll come home wearing one and tell the wife it cost €25 in argos.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some day I'll come home wearing one and tell the wife it cost €25 in argos.

She'd believe it too, which is what dulls my interest in such watches, personally speaking.

She'd believe it too, which is what dulls my interest in such watches, personally speaking.

The Sinn? I think it looks quality, if I had a grand to get something that would probably be it.

The Sinn? I think it looks quality, if I had a grand to get something that would probably be it.

No, I meant the Hamilton. :)

• Advertisement

No, I meant the Hamilton. :)

Right. Thing is, I change my mind every week on what watch I want. I'd need to win the lotto to be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

from my perspective, its prob better saving up a bit longer to get to maybe 1500 to 2K, alot of others come in at the level and you really get what you want.

If you wanted a great watch and bang for your buck, and want to spend it now, then pop along to Stowa or Steinhart.

Most of us on here have had one, I and many still do. I doubt anyone would complain about them.

But, you could also go for the Seiko Divers like the SKX007, forum favourite, great watch, highly regarded and would leave you plenty left over to buy something else.

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

The problem I have found with Sinn..is moving it on. I had great difficulty. not a problem if you keep em though.

The problem I have found with Sinn..is moving it on. I had great difficulty. not a problem if you keep em though.

Do you sell in Ireland only or abroad? They seem to have a bigger following outside ireland

Do you sell in Ireland only or abroad? They seem to have a bigger following outside ireland

I traded it on TZ, alot of re-sellers wouldn't take it.

DT

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The watch characteristics would really depend on what type of watch you like, chunky sports type or dress watch.
    Longines hydro conquest chronograph is a nice watch and in quartz can be picked up used for around €600 and after a year or so you would get your money back

Was in a Jewelers yesterday and seen a quartz Hydroconquest for €400 with box. Looked brand new. Knew it was a bargain but didn't try it on as we were looking at wedding rings and didn't want to piss the missus off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

oxocube wrote: »
    Was in a Jewelers yesterday and seen a quartz Hydroconquest for €400 with box. Looked brand new. Knew it was a bargain but didn't try it on as we were looking at wedding rings and didn't want to piss the missus off.

Seems like a good price, where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Kearns in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

If it was me I would go for two different watches. A Seiko Sumo in blue and then I'd make an offer on Homer's Stowa Marine, all bases covered.

• Advertisement

HDMI wrote: »
    If it was me I would go for two different watches. A Seiko Sumo in blue and then I'd make an offer on Homer's Stowa Marine, all bases covered.

Been a bit overwhelmed with the different responses on this thread, thinking of the Longines posted earlier, saving up for a Rolex, or just listening to you

Advertisement