Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

• 16-10-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Just got this email which makes me happy!!

CONTRACT CHANGE
    Hello Redacted
    The price of your broadband is going up in 2020
    We're getting in touch to let you know that from 1st January 2020 the price of your broadband will increase by €3.50 a month.

To help you understand what this means FAQ's are available at virginmedia.ie/change.
    Calls to Non Geographic numbers will become part of your home phone bundle
    Following a regulatory change, calls to some Non Geographic numbers (those beginning with 1850, 1890, 0818 and 076) will become part of your inclusive home phone minutes. Currently calls to these numbers are not included in your home phone bundle. Out of bundle charges for calls to 1850 numbers will also change.

For more information on these changes and how to get in touch if you've got questions visit virginmedia.ie/nongeo. This change will take effect on 28th November 2019.
    So what happens next?
    We really hope that you’ll continue to enjoy your Virgin Media package, however, you can change or cancel your service because of the broadband price change by giving us 30 days notice. You can do this without penalty any time before your effective date of January 12th 2020. Simply call us on 1908 and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
    The information in this communication is correct as of August 27th 2019 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

here we go again, i am going to do exactly the same as i did last year, ring them, get a crazy offer reject it and tell them to cancel, as my cancel date approaches they ring me back begging me to stay and offer me what i want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Sky offer for 59€ with Netflix is looking tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Shame you get use to the speed of Virgin and dont want to go back to slower speeds, down in herselfs they got SKY and its crap and had issues

Just do the usual oh ill cancel, wink wink, heres half price for 6 months or so, ah no I wont cancel thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

How does this effect mobile bills? I have internet with virgin but not tv. Does anyone know If I cancel will they then cancel my mobile? I remember them saying you could only have mobile of already a virgin customer. Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Its about time we get rid of virgin and show them why customer loyalty is imp..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

danois wrote: »
    How does this effect mobile bills? I have internet with virgin but not tv. Does anyone know If I cancel will they then cancel my mobile? I remember them saying you could only have mobile of already a virgin customer. Tia.

Save another 15 per month on your mobile

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058023141

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

dingding wrote: »
    Save another 15 per month on your mobile

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058023141

Would love to but think I’ve 10 months left in contract for phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

danois wrote:

Mobile is never on contract afaik..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Isn't there a big announcement tomorrow from eir about cheaper broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I'm sick of playing this game with Virgin every flipping year. I don't want to move provider but I don't think I have the energy to fight them this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

TheDriver wrote: »
    Isn't there a big announcement tomorrow from eir about cheaper broadband.

Website is currently down while they prepare for "exciting things are on the way".
    not sure if it's broadband only but this was in the papers,
    "Tomorrow, the company is expected to launch a revamped TV service
    based on a new set-top box".

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Have had this with virgin for past few years.They offer me 3 months half off I tell them I want 9 they say they can’t because I had that last year so tell them to cancel .I wait they ring offer 6 I say no they offer 9 . Have to stand firm and be prepared to cancel but you’ll get the 9 . Only for that I wouldn’t stay . It’s too expensive to stay just for the speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Ever since UPC left the building, Virgin has just been crap. If the BB wasn't so decent, I say they would be in serious trouble.

Eir are starting to close the gap, instead of been nice to customers, they are out gouging us.

Equipment on the house so I am one of the lucky ones with a heavily discounted bill, but that gap is closing with these increases, so they are playing a dangerous game with me, piss me off too much, well Virgin and there equipment on my house can take a hike. I also don't want to be one of them neighbors, but this is taking the piss at this stage, each and every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 comuirch

I signed up to a Broadband, TV and Phone bundle in December last year. Will I be able to cancel the entire contract due to the above price increase, or will they argue that TV and Broadband are separate services/contract?

I've had enough of the truly awful Horizon box and looking to exit at the earliest possible opportunity......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

comuirch wrote: »
    I signed up to a Broadband, TV and Phone bundle in December last year. Will I be able to cancel the entire contract due to the above price increase, or will they argue that TV and Broadband are separate services/contract?

I've had enough of the truly awful Horizon box and looking to exit at the earliest possible opportunity......

Your price increase is on the package so you can cancel that one and than choose what ever you want.

Wait a while, Eir TV with Apple 4K TV box is on the way, maybe that is better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

danois wrote: »

If you are with virgin than you can simply pay off the amount you still owe for the device. Device and Mobile Services Contract are separate.

So you can pay off the rest of the device charges and use a different mobile services provider.

That is unlike with other carriers where you have to stick with them xx month (or spend xx € on services) to owe the phone.

Check out the terms you have signed up for you, you might be able to leave virgin and just continue to pay them for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Website is currently down while they prepare for "exciting things are on the way".
    not sure if it's broadband only but this was in the papers,
    "Tomorrow, the company is expected to launch a revamped TV service
    based on a new set-top box".

1GB fibre broadband offer on the website now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Crazy pricing. 50 pm for 6 months then 80pm after for the lowest offering (100mb bb).
    Eir won’t win many customers with that price

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭steves2

I never got an email or letter about this and I'm with them, is it just for some customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

vm offered me 47 a month for 9 months and the 62.50 a month after that.12 month contract.i said no and cancelled im going to vodafone.

• Advertisement

Crazy pricing. 50 pm for 6 months then 80pm after for the lowest offering (100mb bb).
    Eir won’t win many customers with that price

I can get Siro now and 1GB with Vodafone is 6 months at €25 and €50 for next 6 months, that's €37.50 a month for 12 months.
    As soon as I get the VM mail, I will be leaving this time.

Checked my mail and see there is a mail from VM.
    Only mentions the change in the 1850 etc numbers and nothing about any price increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

The price change is only from Jan 1st but can you use this to break contract before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Strangely the increase to mine, is still less than If I left and got the wife to sign up as a new user

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The price change is only from Jan 1st but can you use this to break contract before then?

Yes. Its in the FAQ as it is an amendment to your contract.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

VM just offered me 6 months half price on BB, so 2 months half price @€;59 rate and 4 months on new price of €62.50 then the remaining 6 months at full price of €62.50. In the past few years I’ve had 2 9 months half price and 2 6 months half price offers, he 100% guaranteed me that I won’t get another 9 months deal, especially as I’ve only got phone and BB.

My predicament now is Siro is currently being installed in my area but I’m not sure how long it will be before it’s live, also, we are heavy users with a few months over the 1000gb usage. Apparently eir and Vodafone impose restrictions and possible changes when you exceed their limits.

For the minute I’ve asked him to leave a note on my account with the 6 month offer while I consider my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

VM offered upgraded speed from 360mb to 500mb with 54*9 and 3 *69.

I said no, asked to be disconnected in 30 days and the cancellation is processing.

Hopefully take up the 1GB with Sky which is saving of 270 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Aquos76 wrote: »
    VM just offered me 6 months half price on BB, so 2 months half price @€;59 rate and 4 months on new price of €62.50 then the remaining 6 months at full price of €62.50. In the past few years I’ve had 2 9 months half price and 2 6 months half price offers, he 100% guaranteed me that I won’t get another 9 months deal, especially as I’ve only got phone and BB.

My predicament now is Siro is currently being installed in my area but I’m not sure how long it will be before it’s live, also, we are heavy users with a few months over the 1000gb usage. Apparently eir and Vodafone impose restrictions and possible changes when you exceed their limits.

For the minute I’ve asked him to leave a note on my account with the 6 month offer while I consider my options.

if you read my post above i got offered 9 months at 47pm aand then 62.50 for the remaining 3 months.you should ring them back if that suits you.its about 150 cheaper if my maths are correct.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

No, the deal they offered me is better,

€29.50 x 2 = €59
    €31.25 x 4 = €125
    €62.50 x 6 = €375

Total €559

Your offer,

€47 x 9 = €423
    €62.50 x 3 =€ 187.50

Total €610.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

Irish Kev wrote: »
    VM offered upgraded speed from 360mb to 500mb with 54*9 and 3 *69.

I said no, asked to be disconnected in 30 days and the cancellation is processing.

Hopefully take up the 1GB with Sky which is saving of 270 a year

Doesn’t sky have 200€ once off fee?

Advertisement