Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sitting in St Stephens Green and while it's chilly enough, when the sun comes out (which it's doing pretty often), it's really nice and warming. Pretty lovely morning, although the rain clouds are starting to accumulate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sitting in St Stephens Green and while it's chilly enough, when the sun comes out (which it's doing pretty often), it's really nice and warming. Pretty lovely morning, although the rain clouds are starting to accumulate

Ahh we have our own graces7 in the east too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitter, biting cold here across in the west. Grey dark clouds. shivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny in West Clare, lots of sunny spells this morning, currently 8.1c.

The fields are like lakes though.

Only 1.4mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wettest March day in many places yesterday since 2004 (when Valentia recorded 42.0mm on the 11th)

Roches Point - 39.5mm
    Moore Park - 34.0mm
    Shannon Airport - 32.4mm
    Cork Airport - 32.0mm
    Valentia Observatory - 30.2mm
    Mace Head - 29.3mm
    Newport - 26.3mm
    Sherkin Island - 26.1mm
    Athenry - 24.5mm
    Claremorris - 22.7mm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Kerry /Cork looking very windy tomorrow morning, and a second round of windy weather perhaps in the evening in the W ( other models not showing it as windy in the W in the evening ) EDIT: Clare also looks windy earlier Sun morning according to the ARPEGE with a fast moving area of LP running across the country.

4Pffps0.png

Rx00Hy6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Wettest March day in many places yesterday since 2004 (when Valentia recorded 42.0mm on the 11th)

Roches Point - 39.5mm
    Moore Park - 34.0mm
    Shannon Airport - 32.4mm
    Cork Airport - 32.0mm
    Valentia Observatory - 30.2mm
    Mace Head - 29.3mm
    Newport - 26.3mm
    Sherkin Island - 26.1mm
    Athenry - 24.5mm
    Claremorris - 22.7mm

What is the wettest March day on record? Also what is the coldest March daytime temperature ever recorded here? Thanks in advance.

What is the wettest March day on record? Also what is the coldest March daytime temperature ever recorded here? Thanks in advance.

A lovely cool -17.2 is the coldest March temperature ever recorded in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quick moving frontal rain arriving in the early hours into the SW before moving up over the country. Forecast of wintry weather for a time early in the midlands tomorrow.

8MaZyUN.png

wCw7SpA.png

bkg70L1.png

ZjGmJ1l.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A lovely cool -17.2 is the coldest March temperature ever recorded in Ireland.

Wow!! What year was that? I did not think it was possible to get a temperature that low in March. It would be great to see the charts at the time.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about them as I will have to do some very challenging research to get the answers. But I will do it! In relation to the coldest March day on record (referring to the minimum temperature that JCX BXC posted), here ya go:

sS0yKvG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just to add that that -17.1c occurred in Sligo. (Markee Castle)

I'll let Syran deal with the rain stats though in more recent records, the end of March 2010 was quite wet.

New Moon

The wettest March day on record is March 6th 1992 when Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry recorded 122.0mm of rainfall.

Amazing day here in West Clare, cool in the wind but glorious sunshine. Lots of flowers blooming today too!

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Wind Warning for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713440

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The wettest March day on record is March 6th 1992 when Cloone Lake, Co. Kerry recorded 122.0mm of rainfall.

ujehRQP.png

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All the winter weather crammed into a couple of weeks!

That was unexpected. When the mountains unveiled themselves briefly, there was snow atop all of them... pure white.. then a huge rainbow arched around it.. too high they are for the rainbow to be above them.

Then the veils came down again, and now the wind is howling. It was too bitter to stay out ... even for snow and a rainbow... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cold very showery blustery horrible day again.

Wet, windy and turning mild from Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/838387573487767552

• Advertisement

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713776

Syran, terrific stats!

To be honest, I think they deserve a thread of their own. That way, your hard work won't get lost in a more busy thread like this and as well as that, you'll have your own space to post more great stats like these.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DaithiMa

A question for the experts as I am clueless when it comes to reading charts. What are the chances of the rain we are forecast heading across the Irish Sea and falling at Cheltenham in the coming week? I am into horse racing, and if it is going to be wet next week over there it could make a big difference to my bank balance.

Thanks to Oneiric3 I am realising that west coastal Connemara seems to have a micro climate.

Looking at met.ie, they seem to say two things, the second for coastal areas.

Looking at the map, West Connemara

is almost surrounded by water; the sea and lakes. And is mountainous.

Torrential rain all the night long.

The forecast on met ie has fresh winds,, but strong in coastal areas.

And rain that will ease in the east...

Never noticed before.

Just been out and there is a lower and much more defined snowline on the mountains here. Fine sight but brutally cold.

West Connemara, 400 ft asl

NB the mountains behind and around the cottage are up to 729 m (2,392 ft) A sheer steep rise behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Not sure if these type of questions are allowed, or if there is a specific thread for them(as they are quite annoying) but I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of an accurate weather forecast.
    Headed to Disney Paris next week with my two smallies and one forecast is giving me sleet and snow and another 12 degrees and sun.
    Is any one site better than another?

Again, I know these questions are annoying but it's the first time to bring the baby abroad, don't want to leave the thermals behind if we're in for snow but suitcase already bursting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Getting a nice top up of rain in Galway this morning
    :(

km79 wrote: »
    Getting a nice top up of rain in Galway this morning
    :(

I know, I know.. sheeting down here, or , rather, given the wind, sideways, Been out for coal... Dreadful sleety stuff too. Shivers.

West Connemara, 400 ft asl

javagal wrote: »
    Not sure if these type of questions are allowed, or if there is a specific thread for them(as they are quite annoying) but I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of an accurate weather forecast.
    Headed to Disney Paris next week with my two smallies and one forecast is giving me sleet and snow and another 12 degrees and sun.
    Is any one site better than another?

Again, I know these questions are annoying but it's the first time to bring the baby abroad, don't want to leave the thermals behind if we're in for snow but suitcase already bursting.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2988507

I would not rely on any forecast though cause next week is in the rather unreliable time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Very heavy snow shower about an hour ago, whitened the ground but mostly gone now but for higher up on the mountain. A very soggy S.E. Sligo.

Advertisement