Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

*lives in Dublin, selling for 20 euro*

" I'll give u 5 for it and I'll meet you in Kildare"

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Gold bar €1000 ono

€12 offered.

You ever in outer Mongolia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Worst is getting an offer and user has made dozens of €100+ offers on similar ads in the previous ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In fairness, the sellers can take the piss too.

'1985 VCR, lid won't shut, play button missing, eats tapes, E50'

'I can get one new in box for E51 online'

'Yeah, that's why there's a discount'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Deliver it to costellos?

I'll post for €150 lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

kylith wrote: »
    In fairness, the sellers can take the piss too.

'1985 VCR, lid won't shut, play button missing, eats tapes, E50'

'Yeah, that's why there's a discount'

Hey usually reply with "then off you go to get it online so bud"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Or yer one who turns up an hour late at 21.30 to buy a like new chrome towel rad. Loves it, the best rad she has ever seen, exactly what she wanted and at such a good price, what a lovely home you have. Then you offer to put it in her car she says no, and drags it down the driveway.

A week later she's texting saying she wants a refund because she has bought a cheaper one somewhere else. When you explain you're not a shop and she scratched the fook out of it, she threatens coming back with big brothers and then the Gardaí.

Last time I used Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

kylith wrote:

I hate that thread spoiling lark too though. Move on if you aren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That can work the other way too though. I've seen people quote the lowest prices from ebay auctions as counter offers on Adverts despite the fact that Adverts.ie is more of a Buy It Now price. Sometimes ebay auctions attract little interest & the item sells for an extremely low price. A few weeks later the same item could have bidders crawling over one another to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've sold a good few items over the last couple of years on adverts. Just random items here and there. Alot of people are indeed sound but there are also alot who aren't.

But you meet some spacers off there. I mean proper few screws loose type of people. I was selling some V for Vendetta masks a couple of years ago and met this guy up. Starts going on about how "we have to protest, man" then goes on for a 10 minute spiel. Was not just what he said but the mannerisms out of him. You'd swear there was going to be a riot on and he wanted first row seats.
    But of course me being too polite or a thick (take your pick) I didn't say "Do you want the masks or not?" - in the end he didn't buy them. Wouldnt you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I've sold a good few items over the last couple of years on adverts. Just random items here and there. Alot of people are indeed sound but there are also alot who aren't.

But you meet some spacers off there. I mean proper few screws loose type of people. I was selling some V for Vendetta masks a couple of years ago and met this guy up. Starts going on about how "we have to protest, man" then goes on for a 10 minute spiel. Was not just what he said but the mannerisms out of him. You'd swear there was going to be a riot on and he wanted first row seats.
    But of course me being too polite or a thick (take your pick) I didn't say "Do you want the masks or not?" - in the end he didn't buy them. Wouldnt you know.

I've a feeling selling V for Vendetta masks was your first mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've a feeling selling V for Vendetta masks was your first mistake...

:pac:
    you are probably right. See I got given some by a friend a few weeks before Halloween (I wonder now why he gave me them lol. I had about 20) But to be fair most people who bought them were just normal, decent people. Sound like.

But then I had a couple of them left over and would you know the water protests were kicking up a few months later. But this guy was something else. You're probably thinking "I bet he was some early 20s bloke in college" - But no, a guy in early 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

-- Spoon: €2

- Great, i wont even make an offer, how much in total with postage to my place.

-- Be €30 lad

- Eh? How can it cost you €28 euro to send a spoon in the post?

-- Courier fee lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

:pac:
    you are probably right. See I got given some by a friend a few weeks before Halloween (I wonder now why he gave me them lol. I had about 20) But to be fair most people who bought them were just normal, decent people. Sound like.

But then I had a couple of them left over and would you know the water protests were kicking up a few months later. But this guy was something else. You're probably thinking "I bet he was some early 20s bloke in college" - But no, a guy in early 40s.

Can we please have a transcript? I need a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Boater123 wrote: »
    Or yer one who turns up an hour late at 21.30 to buy a like new chrome towel rad. Loves it, the best rad she has ever seen, exactly what she wanted and at such a good price, what a lovely home you have. Then you offer to put it in her car she says no, and drags it down the driveway.

A week later she's texting saying she wants a refund because she has bought a cheaper one somewhere else. When you explain you're not a shop and she scratched the fook out of it, she threatens coming back with big brothers and then the Gardaí.

Last time I used Adverts.

So what happened ? Did you have to refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

1. Put a min price on your item. always.
    2. Ban everyone who try to circumvent it by commenting instead of making offer or offering swaps when "no swaps" mentioned.
    3. ...
    4. Profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Offer asking price but can you hold this for me until September of next year? I will defo buy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

I sold off my retro games console collection on adverts last year...... The aggressiveness of the responses was ridiculous. And people take it as a personal insult if you don't accept their "€50 can collect today, accept now" for items that were worth triple that.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Item for sale: €400.

Potential buyer: €200, but only if it is working 100%.

Me: I hate my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

2. Ban everyone who try to circumvent it by commenting instead of making offer or offering swaps when "no swaps" mentioned.

But how can I be sure someone won't accept a swap unless I ask? Maybe they selected the no swaps option by accident and also didn't mean to type it in the description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

It's pretty much a cast iron rule of thumb that people offering swaps on ads don't actually have anything worth swapping, or at least not to the value of the item they're trying to buy. If you're selling a new iPhone & someone offers "swap for anything in my ads" invariably their listings will be something like an iron, a few romance novels, a cheap internet router & a collection of Kylie Minogue cassettes. How tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

When people on donedeal think they're on adverts
    Item €500
    Time waster: hi is this still available
    Seller: Yes still here
    Time waster: my budget is €50
    Seller: Backs away slowly .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

'I can take if you can meet in galway'
    I'll buy if you meet at this obscure service station at the edge of Dublin, or an empty car park at midnight'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

"€5 offered. You pay postage."

Its a fcking lawnmower you div!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Adverts you never get sick of people on it with what ever your i
    Selling

My best was for a iPhone I was selling a few years back swap you a ninja sword set. Then another offer was I will swap you a grow kit for growing the magic grass ha ha.

But the best is when you offer people the ture valve of what there selling they go nuts at you. Say a game up for 25 it'd worth about 20 at best so offer them 18 + post. They go nuts at you call you a time waster and block you. Then you see there still selling the same game 6 months later for 15 now ......

The one guy who I refused to meet as he txt me 20 times and 4 phone calls in 2 hours over something for 15 euros. I told him I fell unconferable selling you the game and got bad feed back for that ?. WTF people ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm selling a S5 on adverts at the moment for 250e.

I get 3 offers to swap. My mistake - I never put "NO SWAPS" in the description, so I hastily amend my advert to say so.

first "offer" is

Bidder - "what would be your last price - it takes 30e to unlock"

My reply - I'm not bidding against myself. Make me a genuine offer

Bidder - 150e.

My reply - I will take €220

Bidder - Way high - can't afford that much.

My reply (Having checked his other posts) - If its too much, why are you commenting on another advert for a S5 where is says 280e and no less? Why are you commenting on mine offering about half the price?

Christ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Ariel Narrow Machine

I get stuff new online for cheaper than what some dreamers put their second hand items up for. Just because you spent €1,000 5 years ago, doesn't mean it's worth €850 now... Somehow. People overpriced their crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ive bought and sold quite a bit on it...mixed results...its good for buying.
    But the amount of people,sellers included who wont take paypal is ridiculous...they expect you to go to the inconvenience of a bank transfer for something worth a fiver"so they dont have to pay 20cent to paypal.
    "check my feedback bud"
    Its typical irish, being short sighted...I wont give paypal anything!!...but theyll be stuck with there mills and boons novels trying to sell them for 20 years clogging up adverts.ie

adverts.ie ...listen up!!...Insist on sellers accepting paypal...start charging people a small fee for listsings...it will get rid of the crud of which there is way too much.
    I love pressing the nearby button to see whats for sale nearby but 90% of it is rubbish that will never sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Item for sale in galway,lad comments from Dublin at 11.30 pm, "whats your best price tonite? "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

A guy is selling an 'old school' 44 in TV for and is looking for 380! You could buy a new 42" for around that price.

Advertisement