Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grangegorman records

• 02-07-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Has anyone had any luck recently with accessing or getting any information from patient records from Grangegorman? I have tried via the grangegorman.ie email on two occasions but no word back. From older posts I see that it was the priest in St Brendan's who held the records but they were then passed on to the volunteers who run the Grangegorman museum. I also read somewhere that they had since been passed on to the national archives and are in the process of being organised and archived properly.

Can anyone shed any light on this and if you know the best person to contact? I have a relative who was admitted in the 40's and would love to know more.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I am in the same boat - never got anywhere.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I am in the same boat - never got anywhere.

Ugh. That's a shame. I have emailed the National Archives and asked if they have the records, so I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cormick

Ugh. That's a shame. I have emailed the National Archives and asked if they have the records, so I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Did you have any luck with your email to The National Archives. I am trying to find out how to access these records too. As I believe my grandmother died there, after giving birth to my aunt there and I would love to find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Some old hospital records, including Grangegorman, are held by the National Archives. However to get any info on a relative you have to go through the HSE, and you have to prove your connection to the relative via BMD certs. So the National Archives should give you a HSE contact, and thereafter you are dealing with HSE. At least thats the way it worked for me last year.

Thank you very much for this information. It is a great help. I'll contact the National Archives this week and hopefully I'll start the ball rolling.

• Advertisement

That's great to hear, TOMP.

I'll try that tactic too. I sent them all my details (great-grandmother died there) before the NAI took over the records but I never heard a dickybird from them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's great to hear, TOMP.

I'll try that tactic too. I sent them all my details (great-grandmother died there) before the NAI took over the records but I never heard a dickybird from them.

I'll let you know how I get on, would you do the same please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The NAI can only allow access to St Brendan's records, when certain administrators grant approval. Two years ago, I wrote to the person named by the NAI, I received a reply from a second person, whom I assumed to be a secretary, advising me to send documentary evidence of relationship to her colleague, in Connolly Norman House (formerly St Dymphna's). This I did, and waited, and waited. I later contacted the second person, who replied with exactly the same instructions, which I had complied with previously. Subsequently this person said they had not received my family tree, certs etc. This claim was untrue, as I had delivered the letter personally, and the person at the reception desk, confirmed it was the right office, and promised to hand it to the relevant officer named on the envelope.
    I hope others have better luck, but personally I have better things to do with my time, life is short enough, and I have lots of genealogical searching yet, on many branches of my tree.

That's very frustrating, Tabbey.

When did Grangegorman become St Brendan's? What's the difference? ETA: St Brendan's is the official name after it changed from Richmond Lunatic Asylum, but presumably always just known by the suburb's name.

Some details here:
    http://ggda.ie/grangegorman/a-brief-history

https://sites.google.com/site/iimhlinireland2010/iimhl-ireland/mental-health-in-ireland-1/history-of-mental-health-services-in-ireland/mental-health-museum-collection

Genealogy Forum Mod

tabbey wrote: »
    The NAI can only allow access to St Brendan's records, when certain administrators grant approval. Two years ago, I wrote to the person named by the NAI, I received a reply from a second person, whom I assumed to be a secretary, advising me to send documentary evidence of relationship to her colleague, in Connolly Norman House (formerly St Dymphna's). This I did, and waited, and waited. I later contacted the second person, who replied with exactly the same instructions, which I had complied with previously. Subsequently this person said they had not received my family tree, certs etc. This claim was untrue, as I had delivered the letter personally, and the person at the reception desk, confirmed it was the right office, and promised to hand it to the relevant officer named on the envelope.
    I hope others have better luck, but personally I have better things to do with my time, life is short enough, and I have lots of genealogical searching yet, on many branches of my tree.
    That is very disappointing. I really need to see my grandmother's information. I hope it will give me information that has been lost or hidden by my mothers family. My mother told me that when she was about 10 years old in 1921, she and my granny who was pregnant were travelling in a pony and trap along Richmond Road when her mother slumped over, my mother thought she had a brain seizure. She was taken to Grangegorman, where my aunt was born. However my granny died shortly after on Christmas Eve. She left 7 children, her husband was heartbroken and couldn't cope and the family was broken up. My mother was sent down the country with her younger brother and her new baby sister to live with her mother's mother. Mam never celebrated Christmas again till she met my father in her twenties. My mother was always sad about the circumstance of her mother's death. My granny's death cert is vague. She was the only girl and very close to her mother, after that her life was very hard. My aunt told me she had never seen a photograph of her mother. I guess everything was scattered when the family home was broken up. I'd like to find out as much as I can just as a mark of respect to my mother

• Advertisement

I think it's worth trying to find out.

I've mailed off to the NAI for the contact details in the HSE and will send my direct connection to my great-grandmother. Will report back.

There's a case for arguing that medical records could have implications for future generations.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it's worth trying to find out.

I've mailed off to the NAI for the contact details in the HSE and will send my direct connection to my great-grandmother. Will report back.

There's a case for arguing that medical records could have implications for future generations.

Thank you so much, that would be great. Cormick

Only getting to read these replies now.

Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere either. I've tried contacting former employees in the hope of being pointed in the right direction, but no joy. My relative was my great grand aunt. She never had children but I'm not sure if I'm a close enough relative to be allowed access to her records. If anyone does end up dealing with a person in the national archives, who is actually helping them then please PM me their details.

It shouldn't be be this difficult (in fact obstructive!) to legitimately access family records. Especially in the case of your grandmother. That's shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

This should help, this is the email reply I received in July from the National Archives re: Richmond Asylum (Grangegorman) records. Good luck!

"I refer to your email below and am writing to inform you that while the records of St Brendan’s Hospital, Grangegorman are in the custody of the National Archives, access is granted through Dublin North Mental Health Services. I am forwarding contact details for your information.

Please contact:

Antoinette Kelly
    MHA Administrator
    Dublin North City Mental Health Services
    The Phoenix Care Centre
    Grangegorman
    North Circular Road
    Dublin 7"

I was given a different name: Carmel Kitching.

I contacted her 2 weeks ago by email and have no response whatsoever.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Further update: I had a call this morning, not from Carmel Kitching, asking for some more details to aid them in searching for the records...husband and all children's names, which I provided. She said she would send a letter acknowledging receipt of my request today and then it would take approximately 4 weeks to conduct a search of the records, and they would report back.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Further update: spoke to case officer this morning. They sent by registered post yesterday 36 pages of my great-grandmother's file!
    I'm ridiculously excited. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I was able to access records for my gtgt-grand mother a good while ago while they were still at St. Brendan's / Granegorman - about a paragraph of information... Envious about your 36 pages ... some of the more recent records have photos

I've been to the sorting office and collected the file.
    Bowled over!
    There is a photograph of her, description, etc.
    Lots of medical stuff.
    Letters from her children, etc.

One of the best things: list of people who were allowed visit, all identified by family relationship. This has yielded the married name of 3 sisters, so I'm looking at adding about 12 new people to the family tree once I confirm some marriage certs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've been to the sorting office and collected the file.
    Bowled over!
    There is a photograph of her, description, etc.
    Lots of medical stuff.
    Letters from her children, etc.

One of the best things: list of people who were allowed visit, all identified by family relationship. This has yielded the married name of 3 sisters, so I'm looking at adding about 12 new people to the family tree once I confirm some marriage certs.

Wow!! Congratulations on getting the file. That's a hell of a collection! Hopefully it answers some of the questions you had.

Makes me want to start the process of trying to get my relatives file now.

Thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Great to here is is finally a bit of movement on these records (albeit slow). I have also tried to find out about access in the last year, after I found out my great-grandfather died there. Like most of you, I've had no luck so far. I sent off another few emails yesterdaym, then found this thread afterwards.

I'm studing psychiatry at the moment and have a few assignments to do. I'd love to incorporate what I find out into one of them, but pressure's on - I finish psych placement in 5 weeks. Very jealous of the 36 page report!!

When should I expect a reply from the NAI? I didn't email a specific person, just the mail@... address.

Mine was 5 weeks from sending them the documentation. If you just mailed the main address, there might be a time lag in them getting to reply.

Genealogy Forum Mod

15 weeks from my original email to Carmel Kitching and 7 weeks since I emailed all the records and still no reply regarding my request for information on the records!!

I followed up around the same timeframe and they had had a problem with their franking machine (and were apparently incapable of buying stamps) but I got it the following day. Did you get an official acknowledgement by post?

Genealogy Forum Mod

No, I didn't get any reply of any kind PinkyPinky, other than someone in the National Archives saying I should get on to Carmel K. But haven't heard a thing from her yet. Time for a follow-up email alright, but I'm not confident I'll get a reply from them this time either! I'm just very impatient

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Sorry to drag an old thread up but I am currently compiling the info required by the HSE to get my great great grandfathers Richmond Asylum records, just wondering do they actually need all the info they ask for, and if I provide most of it but not all, will they still allow me access to them?

The following is what I can't provide
    An exact date of birth, just an approximate year of birth
    How many siblings and their names
    Exact date of admission
    Parents names

I'm hoping when I get a copy of his marriage certificate that it will give me some more info or leads to work off, but don't know how I'd be expected to know an exact date of admission??

I think give them everything you have, including documented proof of your connection and approximate dates.
    They will realise that part of the reason to access these records are to find out information. Since it's a gg grandfather, data protection won't apply: he's definitely dead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Is there anyone else worth contacting apart from Carmel Kitching? I still haven't received an answer from them 5 months later, after sending all the records I have. Very disappointed as we are having a family reunion soon and these records would be a great source of conversation for the day. :(

Well, my experience worked out well, so I don't know what else to suggest. If you never got an initial confirmation letter, then I'd try again from the starting point with all the info. As I said above, mine took about 6 weeks total.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Has anyone had any luck getting records from Grangegorman where they can't prove a connection to the person who was there?

The couple who adopted my grandmother also adopted another girl. I have her death cert and memorial card but nothing to show how she's connected to my grandmother (although she lived with my grandmother for a time so address might help).

Thanks,

S.

Advertisement