Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Britain Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Celtic FC, the first British team to win the European Cup. Hail hail.

celtic-pin-badge-european-cup-50th-anniversary-badge-gla.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Churchill looked down on the Irish,

Other people would not be of that opinion, such as Brendan Bracken, an Irish Catholic, who was Winston Churchill’s closest friend in politics and minister of information in his wartime government.

Also do not forget Churchill made a speech to Irish nationalists in Belfast in 2012, when he defended the creation of a Dublin parliament: “History and poetry, justice and good sense, alike demand that this race, gifted, virtuous and brave, which has lived so long and endured so much should not, in view of her passionate desire, be shut out of the family of nations and should not be lost forever among indiscriminate multitudes of men.” He saw the new relationship of Great Britain and Ireland as fostering “the federation of English speaking peoples all over the world”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

janfebmar wrote: »
    Other people would not be of that opinion, such as Brendan Bracken, an Irish Catholic, who was Winston Churchill’s closest friend in politics and minister of information in his wartime government.

Also do not forget Churchill made a speech to Irish nationalists in Belfast in 2012, when he defended the creation of a Dublin parliament: “History and poetry, justice and good sense, alike demand that this race, gifted, virtuous and brave, which has lived so long and endured so much should not, in view of her passionate desire, be shut out of the family of nations and should not be lost forever among indiscriminate multitudes of men.” He saw the new relationship of Great Britain and Ireland as fostering “the federation of English speaking peoples all over the world”.

You might be thinking of a different Churchill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cream-Tea-Pic-1.jpg

Cream tea

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Typo, it was of course 1912. It was well reported at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Churchill looked down on the Irish, like you Kermie.

I'ma go with: awesome music, television, literature, comedy.

That's not English. Maybe in the appreciating South Compton thread.
    But great music, television, literature, comedy - I concur. Or "I feel you, bro."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What is actually understood by the term "Great Britain" when used in conversation? I think of Great Britain as the name of the island that contains England, Scotland and Wales. The term "Britain" is more or less the same thing but can often be taken as equivalent to the UK despite the fact that the UK includes Northern Ireland (for the time being). This confusion sometimes shows up in sports. Does the UK team at the Olympics assemble under the name UK or Britain? The Scottish curlers are always referred to as Britain on our TV coverage.

I think of Great Britain as the second most appealing island off the coast of Europe. Maybe third if Iceland could be included.

What is actually understood by the term "Great Britain" when used in conversation? I think of Great Britain as the name of the island that contains England, Scotland and Wales. The term "Britain" is more or less the same thing but can often be taken as equivalent to the UK despite the fact that the UK includes Northern Ireland (for the time being). This confusion sometimes shows up in sports. Does the UK team at the Olympics assemble under the name UK or Britain? The Scottish curlers are always referred to as Britain on our TV coverage.

I think of Great Britain as the second most appealing island off the coast of Europe. Maybe third if Iceland could be included.

'Team GB' is the brand but the team is the UK.

I don't care who he gets, so long as I can have a go at the Greeks! They invented Gayness!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've always understood the term of Britain to be the geographical island. Maybe Great includes some of the islands. Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I always have a sympathy with Wales though.

Did you know there was an attempt at a military independence campaign?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Wales_Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Alan Turing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

A nation that has to put 'great' into their name is compensating for something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've always understood the term of Britain to be the geographical island. Maybe Great includes some of the islands. Not sure.

Britain is England and Wales
    Great Britain is England Wales and Scotland
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the countrys official name

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

KaneToad wrote: »
    A nation that has to put 'great' into their name is compensating for something...
    Ours is shorter but thicker

• Registered Users Posts: 66,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Like any nation, it has it's good.
    Britain has given a huge amount to the world across all human activity.
    But it also has a huge amount of bad.
    The people of Derry got a bit more of it's bad side today and the entire EU have been getting a severe dose of it for several years.

Report: Must do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Ours is shorter but thicker

Hopefully that's not a Freudian slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Arrogant pr1cks but you could still have worse neighbours ( just about)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

indioblack wrote: »
    Hopefully that's not a Freudian slip.
    Get out the atlas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Dickens and Christmas
    The Famous Five and their picnic luncheons, ginger beer and buttery scones..
    Kathy on the Yorkshire Moors
    Sherlock Holmes and his drugs
    Jane Austin and Lyme Regis
    Hobbiton and the Shire
    Bryon, the naughty galavant
    Mary Shelley's monster man
    Shakespeare's Fool (he'd write a great play about Brexit fools if he was about)
    The daffodil poem
    Right Ho, Jeeves!
    The Beano
    The Dandy
    Viz

That's just the literature.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Britain is England and Wales
    Great Britain is England Wales and Scotland

Don't think I've ever heard that. Don't think it's right. Britain/Great Britain is simply the physical island. Never heard a differentiation between Eng/Wal and Eng/Sco/Wal.

Anyway, this will clear it all up. (although there'll be crying about the British Isles name as usual)

England-vs-GB-Vs-UK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Like any nation, it has it's good.
    Britain has given a huge amount to the world across all human activity.
    But it also has a huge amount of bad.
    The people of Derry got a bit more of it's bad side today and the entire EU have been getting a severe dose of it for several years.

Report: Must do better.

The bad waa on show today on twitter etc, limeys defending the actions of the soldiers who opened fire in derry, they believe the outrage is the soldiers being brought to book at all, the imperial attitude is skin deep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Carol-Vorderman-Twitter-1033791.jpg?r=1539949092985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever heard that. Don't think it's right. Britain/Great Britain is simply the physical island. Never heard a differentiation between Eng/Wal and Eng/Sco/Wal.

Anyway, this will clear it all up. (although there'll be crying about the British Isles name as usual)

England-vs-GB-Vs-UK.gif

That's wrong anyway as he doesn't know the name of our country.

If it wasn't for them we'd all be speaking German/Irish*

*Delete as applicable

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Great Britain to the right

Little Brit...

OK. maybe not

:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    Great Britain to the right

Little Brit...

OK. maybe not

:pac:

Judging by most of what you read on these forums you could have continued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

On the day that one of their "soldiers" is charged with murdering innocent civilians, you think it is a great idea to have an appreciation for Britain, shame on you.

Advertisement