Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stillbirth Question

• 10-10-2019 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I am searching my family history but I cannot find any record of my brother who died at birth, I know his name and DOB but online searches have revealed nothing so far, does anybody know if these births are registered? it would have been the 1950's
    I would be greatful for any hints or help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

A still birth wouldn't be registered as a birth because the baby never lived. You can't register the death of someone who was never officially alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There is a stillbirth register maintained by the GRO. However, the onus is on the parents to register. It can be done retrospectively.

It's not in the online indexes.
    See here for some more details:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/miscarriage_and_stillbirth/registering_stillbirth.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Wow, every day is a school day, as the saying goes. You never stop learning in this game. Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

At one of the National Archives talks a couple of years ago a speaker said that a birth was only recorded if the baby took a breath after the mother gave birth. Its sad to think that a mother would go through a difficult labour and it not even be recorded that she gave birth.

Advertisement