Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy events & courses

• 18-01-2016 10:25am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've created and stickied this new thread to put up notices of upcoming genealogy events only.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The IGRS and the Cork Genealogical Society are holding a 1 day conference on 19th March in the Clayton Hotel, Silversprings, Cork.

Further information and booking can be done through either society's website: IGRS or CGS

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Genealogy Event sponsored by rootsireland among others is on in Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel, Adare, Co. Limerick, September 2nd and 3rd, 2016.

Programme here. (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

Genealogical Society of Ireland

Tues. April 12th 2015 8.00pm
    'Quaker Family Records' - Noel Jenkins - at DFEi, Cumberland St, Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Irish Genealogical Research Society (IGRS), open day, Dublin City Library, Pearse St. on Saturday the 21st May see : http://www.irishancestors.ie/?p=7393

• Advertisement

IGRS summer outing: 20th August

http://www.irishancestors.ie/?p=7437

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

* Taken from the www.irishgenealogynews.com website.

The National Library of Ireland (NLI) has announced its summer programme of free Genealogy at Lunchtime lectures which runs from 26 July to 8 September. Each lecture starts at 1pm and is presented in the NLI's seminar room in Kildare Street, Dublin 2.

Tuesday 26 July: Mná - 25 years of searching - lessons & leads, with Sinead McCool.

Thursday 28 July: The lonely sea and sky - the rescue of 168 German sailors in December 1943 by the MV Kerlogue, a tiny ship from Wexford, with Dermot Bolger

Tuesday 2 August: Territory, maps and genealogy, with Paul McCotter MAGI.

Thursday 4 August: Explorations in Irish genealogy, with Fiona Fitzsimons

Tuesday 9 August: History of Deaf Culture in Ireland, with Liam Breen / Cormac Leonard (interpreter)

Thursday 11 August: "The selkie's skin": How Irish oral traditions preserve family and local history, with Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill.

Tuesday 15 August: Wilde's women: how Oscar Wilde was shaped by the women he knew, with Eleanor Fitzsimons

Thursday 18 August: The Forgotten Irish: Revealing the voices of Irish 19th-century emigrants, with Damien Shiels.

Tuesday 23 August: Irish American Identity - how do we sustain the people-to-people links between Ireland and the United States? with Kevin F. O'Malley,

Thursday 25 August: Children's records in 19th-century Ireland, with Aoife O'Connor.

Tuesday 30 August: Stories from the parish registers, with Clodagh Tait.

Thursday 1 September Ogham Stones: Our earliest genealogical sources, with Nora White.

Tuesday 6 September: Ten free websites for US genealogical research, with Joe Buggy.

Thursday 8 September: Adventures in DNA: Who were the first Irish?, with Professor Dan Bradley.

All are welcome to attend. There's no booking requirement, but arriving early is recommended to ensure you get a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

NLI Events September
    .........:
    Every Wednesday, 2pm to 4.30pm from 5 October to 23 November: 'Introduction to genealogy / family history'. This eight week course with genealogist and lecturer Sean Murphy will offer participants an introduction to family history research, including research methods, record sources and repositories, and online resources
    Booking for this free course, which will be limited to 30 students, will open on 1 September: email Ciara Kerrigan at ckerrigan@nli.ie.

Delighted to hear that Sean's class was fully booked, with a substantial waiting list too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Self-publicity: I teach a beginner's genealogy class twice a year at Malahide Community School. Starting 26th September for 10 weeks. Enrolment next Monday 19th Sept at the school or online. Full details here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Ancestry has a free event coming up next Tuesday afternoon in Dublin. Details on their Facebook page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Back to Our Past event on in the RDS, 21 to 23 October:

http://backtoourpast.ie/

Tickets €5 if you book in advance; anyone been to any of these before? Am wondering if it's of use to anyone who isn't an absolute beginner?

P.

Sometimes the talks are good, the DNA ones look good this year.

I will be there on the IGRS stand - with my other hat on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Sometimes the talks are good, the DNA ones look good this year.

I will be there on the IGRS stand - with my other hat on.

What type of hat? Will I recognise you when I see you?

I actually own very many hats, so if the weather is suitable, a hat may be worn. More likely there will be a badge, and as a further hint, I will be the youngest person on the stand.

Seriously though: boards genie meet-up?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Good idea Pinky!

Will hat wearing be optional though?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Optional but hoped for...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Great - how about wearing a little label with our boardsie names on it? We can wink significantly at each other.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Great - how about wearing a little label with our boardsie names on it? We can wink significantly at each other.
    :eek: If I make it I for one am not going to wander around the RDS winking at strange men in Lillywhite headgear!

I know what Pedro looks like anyway!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

oceanclub wrote: »
    Back to Our Past event on in the RDS, 21 to 23 October:

http://backtoourpast.ie/

Tickets €5 if you book in advance; anyone been to any of these before? Am wondering if it's of use to anyone who isn't an absolute beginner?

P.
    I went last year. I only went to a couple of the lectures, and found them very good, but there was high level of background noise that I found very distracting. The lectures are put online after the event.

Timetable for this year's DNA lectures - http://ggi2013.blogspot.ie/2016/10/revised-timings-for-dna-lectures.html

FREE TICKETS available from Senior Times gets you into both 50 Plus Expo and Back To Our Past. Follow link below, scroll down page and click on 50 Plus Expo Dublin, then Book Event. It doesn't seem to matter what date you ask for, the ticket I got is good for any of the three days. Tickets will be emailed to you. . http://seniortimes.ie/50-plus-expo/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Going to the Expo now. Never did get my tickets emailed to me but will ask on the door answer see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

oceanclub wrote: »
    Going to the Expo now. Never did get my tickets emailed to me but will ask on the door answer see.
    PM me with your mobile number and I'll forward you a text that will get you in. They sent me both a text message and an email with printable tickets.

Lecture tomorrow on the records of the Erasmus Smith Trust

http://www.irishancestors.ie/?p=7967

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Genealogy Quarter - Found Dead or Alive at 50 plus Expo at Cork City Hall on Saturday 4th and Sunday March 5th, 2017.

http://seniortimes.ie/50-plus-expo/

Clare Roots Society
    Thursday 16th March 8pm Old Ground Hotel, Ennis, Co.Clare

Lecture by Claire Bradley: “Civil Registers the Game changer: How online access to the civil registers has forever changed Irish genealogy"

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

Genealogical Society of Ireland

Annual General Meeting of the Society and Monthly Lecture by Ciara Kerrigan "Manuscript Collegions of the Genealogical Office". All Welcome. Contribution €3.00. NOTA BENE: Monthly lecture open to all. Only fully paid up Members can paricipate in the AGM, vote or be proposed for election to the Board.

location Cumberland Street, Dun Laoire 8pm

Date? Where in Cumberland Street? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Date? Where in Cumberland Street? Thanks.

College of Further Education (or whatever they call it now)

GSI evening lectures are the second Tuesday of each month, at 20.00.

GSI morning meetings (informal chat)are in Hardy's Bar, Royal Marine Hotel, fourth Wednesday each month, January - November, 1030 - 1200.
    No morning meeting in December.

• Advertisement

3 diary dates for IGRS events in Dublin.

22/04: Spring lecture (following AGM for members only) Loreto Ireland - archivist Áine McHugh will speak on the history and archives of the sisters.

20/05: Open Day - 3 long lectures and 3 short ones. Full details coming soon but will feature a lecture on finding Irish people in Scotland and a history of German Immigrants who became pork butchers in Dublin.

Both of the above in the Pearse St library & full details are in the link above.

07/06: Summer lecture by Bob Frewen (of this parish, under an alias!) On: James Franklin Fuller, noted architect and amateur genealogist. This is an evening lecture in the RSAI.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement