Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid non-essential travel !!!

• 12-03-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

The Dept of Foreign Affairs are advising against non essential travel to Spain, am I entitled to a full refund from Ryanair or best to go through the travel insurance?
    Flying to Lanzarote this weekend but due to medical (not Covid 19 related) I cannot travel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wondering the same with Aer Lingus. Had already cancelled about 2 hours ago but wondering are options now full refund as they cancel, my travel insurance kicks in or just the small tax refund

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Small Tax refund €16 approx how do you even get it back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

macadam wrote: »
    Small Tax refund €16 approx how do you even get it back??

If you cancel it's automatically refunded. EI have form on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The Dept of Foreign Affairs are advising against non essential travel to Spain, am I entitled to a full refund from Ryanair or best to go through the travel insurance?
    Flying to Lanzarote this weekend but due to medical (not Covid 19 related) I cannot travel.

are they including the Canaries in that or is it just mainland Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    are they including the Canaries in that or is it just mainland Spain?

RTE News suggests that Canaries and Balerics (sp) are included in the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you can get a letter from your GP to say that you are not fit to travel then it's business as usual and you claim the airfare back from your travel insurance.

There are four scheduled flights to Lanzarote tomorrow from Dublin, all are status 'on schedule'.

As the DFA has advised against all but essential travel to Spain, you may be able to claim from your insurance, you need to check the policy. My AIG policy would cover this situation .....

if after the time the Insured Person books their trip, the Department of Foreign Affairs advises against all but essential travel to their intended destination.

Here is an extract from the DFA travel advice page on Spain.....

Latest travel alert

Novel Coronavirus

For the moment, we recommend against non-essential travel to Spain (including the Balearic and Canary Islands).

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭dennyk

Ryanair and Aer Lingus are now waiving change fees for flights booked before certain dates. If you wouldn't mind rescheduling your holiday, you could change your tickets to a date in the autumn or whatnot and only pay the fare difference (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

UK may be included in U.S travel ban shortly.

Ireland.. maybe, who knows!

Trump may remove some low rate infection schengen countries from the ban list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Parents were due to fly to Alicante in the morning. Not officially cancelled by Ryanair yet but only can up to 4 hours. In 2 minds what to do - book random date in Sept or hope the flight gets cancelled by Ryanair in the mornin and get a refund through the travel agency. It's their policy that it needs to be officially cancelled before refund is issued.
    Any thoughts ?

GBX wrote: »
    Parents were due to fly to Alicante in the morning. Not officially cancelled by Ryanair yet but only can up to 4 hours. In 2 minds what to do - book random date in Sept or hope the flight gets cancelled by Ryanair in the mornin and get a refund through the travel agency. It's their policy that it needs to be officially cancelled before refund is issued.
    Any thoughts ?

Log onto Ryanair.ie and "Manage booking" book it for another date..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

is it ok to still travel any where inside Ireland.

bassy wrote: »

Coventry had a statement read on late late to avoid unnecessary travel to Europe

I'm currently in South Kerry in self catering so very isolated

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Log onto Ryanair.ie and "Manage booking" book it for another date..

Trying it now but not getting to the next step. Possibly down to them being checked in already. Frustrating :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

Coventry had a statement read on late late to avoid unnecessary travel to Europe

I'm currently in South Kerry in self catering so very isolated

no im on about Ireland,as im living in Ireland is it ok to travel to other parts of the republic?.

no im on about Ireland,as im living in Ireland is it ok to travel to other parts of the republic?.

I would avoid crowds so if your self catering you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

Trying it now but not getting to the next step. Possibly down to them being checked in already. Frustrating :/

Same experience. Can't get another done because we have already checked in.

According to Twitter the Ryanair website is not doing anything. Obviously at this hour won't get anything sorted.

According to Twitter the Ryanair website is not doing anything. Obviously at this hour won't get anything sorted.

I'd say it's just overloaded with the numbers of people trying to change flights now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yes.

It is still okay to travel outside Ireland too, to not so infected areas.

Business as usual in most places, just while taking extra caution regarding personal hygiene and being in public..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Yes.

It is still okay to travel outside Ireland too, to not so infected areas.

Business as usual in most places, just while taking extra caution regarding personal hygiene and being in public..

What about Tenerife

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gobus is canceling all their services...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

I have a trip to Lanzarote booked for the end of the month and tbh I'd rather be going than be tied down here which, afterall, is another country where the virus is present.

We're in our late 20s without any outstanding health issues and are already following guidelines from the dept about direct contact with others.

Decisions decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I’m off to Mexico in June, via France. Feck knows what the situation will be like by then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Booked flights through edreams to Bali for 2 weeks in april(3rd)
    We will be stopping in Athens and Singapore.
    We have travel insurance
    If we cancel will the travel insurance pay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

skinny90 wrote: »
    Booked flights through edreams to Bali for 2 weeks in april(3rd)
    We will be stopping in Athens and Singapore.
    We have travel insurance
    If we cancel will the travel insurance pay out?

Nope. Not unless you physically and certified medically can’t travel or the dfa says you cannot travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have no idea why people would still consider travelling if all attractions, bars etc are likely to be closed. Sounds like a shyte holiday to me.

Got through to Ryanair customer service and there telling me I can only get unchecked in at the airport and they can't do anything as it's too late to so anything. Flight due to leave for Alicante at 10.10 but Spain on effective lock down so no travel happening because of the risks.

The most unhelpful person kept talking over me and not taking on board that travel is not advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Ginger83 wrote: »
    What about Tenerife

The Canaries and Balearics are part of Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Got through to Ryanair customer service and there telling me I can only get unchecked in at the airport and they can't do anything as it's too late to so anything. Flight due to leave for Alicante at 10.10 but Spain on effective lock down so no travel happening because of the risks.

The most unhelpful person kept talking over me and not taking on board that travel is not advisable.

Been in a queue since 08:00 trying to get “unchecked-in” for a flight today, think I may as well give up at this point.

Advertisement