Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

• 11-12-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's high time that there was a bit of a chatish thread going on in here. I've sounded out some opinions on this and while it's not a popular idea with everybody there are no major objections to it.

Now, bearing in mind that I and the rest of the moderators reserve the right to ban anyone on a whim for posting anything we don't like, I'd like to open this thread to the regulars and to the noobs of the forum as a place to introduce yourselves, catch up with old friends, let your hair down, ridicule my moustache, discuss whats happening in your world, make yer wedding anouncements, gloat, groan, rue the day, giggle, laugh, cry. You get the idea.

So...Hello darling. How are you? *air kiss - air kiss*. You are looking Faaaabulous, where did you get those shoes?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Divine, darling. I would be Robyn. At the moment am cramming for two positively vile exams tomorrow and cannot wait to finish... then to finish the Christmas shopping- dare I venture into town? Braved Henry St. last week and nearly had a panic attack- also some man decided to skip me in the queue in PC World, I leapt down his throat. Is Christmas shopping more stressful than it is enjoyable for most people? And have you all gotten the gladrags for your work Christmas functions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    Is Christmas shopping more stressful than it is enjoyable for most people? And have you all gotten the gladrags for your work Christmas functions?

The trick is to buy what you can online, then anything left, get in town between 9 and 10 on a weekday.

I think the average IQ of Oxford St drops 50% on the lead-up to Christmas - I lasted about ten minutes before near losing my temper the other day. And am dreading Dublin today :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Christmas time is one of the few times in the year when you really need to shop like a man. Know what you want and where to get it and then go and buy it. No looking for a better price elsewhere, no checking whats on the other rails/shelves, no didhering about looking for the best condition one. You walk in, pick it up and go straight to the counter. Have your card or cash ready, in notes not in change. Pay, say thanks to the staff, check that you have the recipt safely tucked away for after christmas exchanges and then you are outta there.

Is anyone else gatecrashing the Gentlemens Club or the After Hours Beers that are arranged for this weekend?

Things to do this weekend: Friday night, gatecrash the BGRH Beers. :D

On the topic of beer and weekends, why do total strangers on the street feel the need to try tugging the beard off my face and proclaim that it's OK for them to do so because it LOOKS false. And why do I get grief because I don't get the Joke?
    Drunkeness does not excuse bad behaviour or invasion of personal space and if I want* to upend yore beer over yore head after you assult me then it's my right to do so.
    Yep, it was one of THOSE nights.

*I wanted to but I refrained cos I'm bigger then that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hello all! Most of you regulars here know me as I frequent the F+A forum daily:) Just back from a smashing weekend in Westport; my first proper trip away in my little car (Blythe) as I passed my test first time last Monday..hurrah! I downed plenty of baileys to celebrate. About to tie up some loose ends in town today, christmas shopping wise and have a busy week gig-wise...reclaiming the life I had before I went back to college! Hope you all have a lovely day, I'll pop back later to see who is about:)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I'm also currently studying for my final 3 exams this semester, 2 of which are beyond vile. I've had my facebook password as well as my password for other forums I'm on removed from me for the period of the exams... but I still have this one, so I've been wasting an awful lot of time in here.

Christmas shopping wise I am actually fairly sorted. Exams don't finish till Thursday so I thought I was going to have to do a mad rush, but I've been skipping out on the library and wandering into town so I have picked up most of the main bits. Got my uncle in the family Kris Kindle and I haven't a clue what to get him (He's American, about 55 and used to love fine wines and cigars but has cut down on drinking and quit smoking so I'm drawing a loss. I was tempted to get him a Stetson as a joke present, but I can't find any under our €30 price limit) Eeeek.

Hail to thee Blith Spirit! Car thou never wert... :)Appologies to Mr. Shelly.
    Grats on the first long drive sans L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Oh wow, great idea Old Goat! This thread has actually cheered me up after a really bad day, think it's cool that we have a wee chat thread now! :) High five for OG!!!

The old goat deserves many a high five!
    This thread has actually cheered me up after a really bad day,
    What up 'dawg'?
    On the topic of beer and weekends, why do total strangers on the street feel the need to try tugging the beard off my face and proclaim that it's OK for them to do so because it LOOKS false. And why do I get grief because I don't get the Joke?
    Drunkeness does not excuse bad behaviour or invasion of personal space and if I want* to upend yore beer over yore head after you assult me then it's my right to do so.
    Yep, it was one of THOSE nights.

So you were saying. Poor form. It's impossible to have anything around feicers like that - I'd my flat peaked cap robbed off me, getting into a taxi. Ended up not wearing them anymore after that :-/

In other news, I've been called back over to London last minute for a shoot. I've no idea what I'm shooting, where I'm shooting it or what I'll need for shooting it. Language barrier fail. Actually, bag-filled-with-near-everything-I-have-incase-I-need-it fail.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    What up 'dawg'?

Problems with work! It is a LONG story!

Oh. Yick. Everyone loves work... :-/

All pish taking aside I have to say that I actually like my work. The only real pressure is from myself and I am left mostly to myself in my own little cubbyhole office playing with databases and creating pretty graphs. Oh occasionally I get a panicy call to get stuff ready for court cases but mostly I just shuffel paper and punch keys.

What ya studying Insert?

Tbh, I do like my work too. But I equally love complaining about my work. :-/

Insert-gear, check these out;

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Taylors-of-Old-Bond-Street-Shaving-Cream-Tubes.html

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Badger-Hair-Horn-Brown-Shaving-Brush.html

It goes slightly over the 30 quid mark, but postage is only 1.99 for next day delivery, and every man's man loves be able to make up his own lather and escape those dodgy foams :)

(Sandlewood cream ftw, btw)

I used to really like my job but been getting screwed over lately :( Thank god it isn't what I intend doing forever!

All the boys on Boards are obsessed with pretty shaving!

Shiney blades are to boys as shiney Louboutins are to girlies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

For anyone wondering what the shops in town are like - i was in there today, and it was busy but there wasnt many queues, lots of people around but not many buying. i was in from about 11.30-3, bit busier around lunchtime but the biggest queue i was in (hmv) was about 4/5 people :) stressfree for the most part! it can only get worse though.. :(

I find it very hard to understand! I mean, shoes are actually pretty!

I just finished my second placement for college...work not still not as a fully fledged staff member so felt odd..work; right now I'm not liking it. Last year I decided I wanted a art time job round xmas that was busy, festive and different from my normal line of work, so got a job in HMV..lasted only 7 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Its official, I hate school :(
    I hate christmas tests!
    Don't mention shopping to me. I have to do all my shopping on next Tuesday/Wednesday.

Gonna be a hilarious xmas in my place, surprises all round! 'Cause I've spent the majority of my pay check already and not on presents!

I'm thinking of getting a MASSIVE box and filling it with balloons with a bar of chocolate tied on the end so that when my brother lifts the lid the balloons all rise out! Dunno if anyone has seen that ad on tv but he loves it! He'd have to appreciate the effort!

Novella wrote: »
    I find it very hard to understand! I mean, shoes are actually pretty!
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I reckon it's just one of those 'man things' - Shaving with a straight blade or DE blade, making up a lather that actually smells nice (currently sandelwood & clearysage!), getting the right blade, etc - Then ending up with a lovely smooth face. It's one of those nice routines that couldn't be described unless you tried it.

Not that I'm suggesting Novella try it or anything... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yay decided on a whim that me and my friend from work are gonna go on a shopping spree tomorrow. Bye bye holiday pay!

Aoifums wrote: »
    Its official, I hate school :(
    I hate christmas tests!
    Don't mention shopping to me. I have to do all my shopping on next Tuesday/Wednesday.
    *Points - Laughs* HaHa :)
    Gonna be a hilarious xmas in my place, surprises all round! 'Cause I've spent the majority of my pay check already and not on presents!

I'm thinking of getting a MASSIVE box and filling it with balloons with a bar of chocolate tied on the end so that when my brother lifts the lid the balloons all rise out! Dunno if anyone has seen that ad on tv but he loves it! He'd have to appreciate the effort!

Nice idea but not so easy (or cheap) to pull off.
    First, you'll need to rent a gasbottle of helium. Helium filled balloons will only maintain the 'floatyness' for a short period of time, a day at the most. So, if you want the balloons to lift a bar of chocolate on Christmas morning you really need to fill the balloons very late Christmas Eve. Now, to have that ready for Christmas Eve you'll probably need to rent the gasbottle for a few days. Getting a bit expensive now.
    On the plus side, hilarity will ensue as every does the Squeeky Voice thing on Christmas morning. :p

Nice one Lia Lia!

By the way Novella, a word of caution if you do use the helium balloon item...make sure you don;t fill the balloons in a room with those textured ceilings...( maybe they are a bit old fashioned bow but some houses still have them)..We filled balloons a few years ago and let them float while we filled the others, but when they hit the roof they burst! So be sure to pick a room with a nice flat untextured ceiling

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nice idea but not so easy (or cheap) to pull off.
    First, you'll need to rent a gasbottle of helium. Helium filled balloons will only maintain the 'floatyness' for a short period of time, a day at the most. So, if you want the balloons to lift a bar of chocolate on Christmas morning you really need to fill the balloons very late Christmas Eve. Now, to have that ready for Christmas Eve you'll probably need to rent the gasbottle for a few days. Getting a bit expensive now.
    On the plus side, hilarity will ensue as every does the Squeeky Voice thing on Christmas morning. :p

DANG! I really need to think things through in my head! :pac:
    I doubt a huuuuge box with just a bar of chocolate sitting in it will go down quite as well!

Fajitas thinks I'm a beardy lady!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

DANG! I really need to think things through in my head! :pac:
    I doubt a huuuuge box with just a bar of chocolate sitting in it will go down quite as well!

Fajitas thinks I'm a beardy lady!! :(

what about a huuuuuuge bar of chocolate? theres big giant dairy milks in the shops :D

• Advertisement

By the way Novella, a word of caution if you do use the helium balloon item...make sure you don;t fill the balloons in a room with those textured ceilings...( maybe they are a bit old fashioned bow but some houses still have them)..We filled balloons a few years ago and let them float while we filled the others, but when they hit the roof they burst! So be sure to pick a room with a nice flat untextured ceiling

I won't really do it! I usually buy him pretty good presents so I don't think balloons will suffice! :(
    All of the ceilings in my parents house are like that too!! Imagine that, xmas morning, balloons popping everywhere, now that would have been funny!
    sar84 wrote: »
    what about a huuuuuuge bar of chocolate? theres big giant dairy milks in the shops :D

Can't talk about food, I'm starving!!!!! :pac:

Advertisement