Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train or Railway station

• 31-12-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

So LNER have started a poll:

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1079427146185990146?s=19

Lets run our own just for fun and see if we agree with our neighbours.

Which is it? 97 votes

Train station
    5% 5 votes
    Railway station
    70% 68 votes
    Either is fine
    24% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

They must have little to worry about !.......

• Sure, let the train take the strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Most people would assume you're talking about a train/railway station if you just said station

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Railway station is the only name for it. Train station is just a lazy Americanism in the same way as the media describe all rail travellers as commuters, Pearse Station as Pearse Street or Bray Station as Bray DART station....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Happy New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Railway station is the only name for it. Train station is just a lazy Americanism in the same way as the media describe all rail travellers as commuters, Pearse Station as Pearse Street or Bray Station as Bray DART station....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Happy New Year!

It’s Connolly Street Station, isn’t it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Train station. Railway station just sounds so last century. If I am in a city or town and looking for a train I ask for the train station.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Train station. Railway station just sounds so last century. If I am in a city or town and looking for a train I ask for the train station.

If you are really going for the North American approach why not ask for the railroad depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

railway station. even the signs to it on our town say railway with a train symbol...to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Al Jolson( Asa Yoelson )
    Pasadena

Oh, you railway station, oh, you Pullman Train
    There's my reservation for my destination
    Far beyond the western plains
    To see my home in Pasadena
    +

Homeward Bound
    Paul Simon
    I'm sitting in the railway station.
    Got a ticket for my destination.
    On a tour of one-night stands my suitcase and guitar in hand.
    And every stop is neatly planned for a poet and a one-man band.

You see 'train station' does not scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Iarnród Éireann call the station with entrances on Georges Quay and Townshend st, and none on Tara St in Dublin, Tara St Station on their trains...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Iarnród Éireann call the station with entrances on Georges Quay and Townshend st, and none on Tara St in Dublin, Tara St Station on their trains...

Sure it’s mad that Pearse Street station isn’t even on Pearse Street!!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Most people would assume you're talking about a train/railway station if you just said station
    As many parts of the country are not served by railways, most would assume you were referring to the local bus or Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is it Muine Bheag or Bagnelstown? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

The stations renamed in 1966 after the executed leaders of the Easter Rising are:

Pearse Station (after Padraig and William Pearse; formerly Westland Row)
    Connolly Station (James Connolly, formerly Amiens Street)
    Heuston Station (Seán Heuston, formerly Kingsbridge)
    Cork Kent Station (Thomas Kent)
    Limerick Colbert Station (Con Colbert)
    Dun Laoghaire Mallin Station (Michael Mallin)
    Waterford Plunkett Station (Joseph Plunkett)
    Galway Ceannt Station (Eamonn Ceannt)
    Dundalk Clarke Station (Thomas Clarke)
    Drogheda MacBride Station (John MacBride)
    Sligo MacDiarmada Station (Seán MacDiarmada)
    Bray Daly Station (Edward Daly)
    Wexford O’Hanrahan Station (Michael O’Hanrahan)
    Kilkenny MacDonagh Station (Thomas MacDonagh)
    Tralee Casement Station (Roger Casement)

https://www.transportforireland.ie/portraits-and-lives-of-rising-leaders-are-being-brought-to-daily-commuters-by-iarnrod-eireann/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

so far over 75% of people are happy with train station. Didn't expect that!

Isambard wrote: »
    so far over 75% of people are happy with train station. Didn't expect that!

75% of those who voted happy with train are probably the same media led sheep that are happy with 'get go', 'going forward' and 'kicking the can down the road'. :D

Oh, and Bagenalstown is that - as voted on by the local people.

As many parts of the country are not served by railways, most would assume you were referring to the local bus or Garda station.

I was taking more of a worldwide viewpoint. If you mentioned station at least in a town that has a railway station they would assume it's a railway station you're talking about. Also some towns might have disused railway stations which have been repurposed for other uses such as pubs, restaurants, cafes, museums etc. and these are sometimes referred to as names such "The Station House" in reference to the buildings former use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I always go with train station because I think it sounds more natural.

My excuse:
    If Train station is incorrect, then bus station is incorrect as well.

But we do call it a bus station, not a road station or a roadway station.

Therefore if Bus Station is correct, Train Station should be too :)

In other countries I've heard train stations being referred to by the countries national rail providers eg. in France I've heard train stations being referred "Gare SNCF" or in Italy as "Stazione FS" usually you can see on maps of other public transport services such on bus LED displays but I've never seen anything in calling a station an IE Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

King or Tayto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    King or Tayto?

Tayto, obviously

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

devnull wrote: »
    I always go with train station because I think it sounds more natural.

My excuse:
    If Train station is incorrect, then bus station is incorrect as well.

But we do call it a bus station, not a road station or a roadway station.

Therefore if Bus Station is correct, Train Station should be too :)

What about train stations that are also bus stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

What about train stations that are also bus stops?

Are train stations also bus stops? Surely they are train stations which have associated bus stops, or for larger locations combined train/bus stations.

GM228 wrote: »
    Are train stations also bus stops? Surely they are train stations which have associated bus stops, or for larger locations combined train/bus stations.

Exactly it's like saying a hospital, university or shopping centre which is served by a bus stop is a bus stop aswell as a hospital, university or shopping centre aswell as a taxi rank, car park etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

GM228 wrote: »

Bray.

Bray.

There isn't proper bus station in Bray there's a few bus stops outside the station which some routes terminate there such as the 184/185 other routes stop there but don't terminate there and continue to another destination such the 84 and 45a. The buses which do terminate there display Bray DART Station not Bray Bus Station.

Interestingly when the 45a was operated by DB it used to display Dun Laoghaire Station but every other bus terminating in Dun Laoghaire just displayed Dun Laoghaire. It now just displays Dun Laoghaire since Go-Ahead took it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Traditionally, it was officially Tara Street & Georges Quay, but everyone called it Tara Street.

The old nameboards probably went when the station was being upgraded in the early 1970s. It would be nice to have them in a museum, but probably went into somebody's firewood collection.

Incidentally there is a second entrance open during peak hours, under the arches, not really on any street, but closest to Townsend Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Sure it’s mad that Pearse Street station isn’t even on Pearse Street!!!!!
    :pac:

The second entrance, opened about 2013 is on Pearse Street.

In the past there were ramps from both Sandwith Street and Upper Erne Street.
    Taxis used enter via the Erne Street ramp and leave via Sandwith Street. The space in between, alongside the old platforms 1&2, was an excellent spot for observing railway operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

TJJP wrote: »
    The stations renamed in 1966 after the executed leaders of the Easter Rising are:

Pearse Station (after Padraig and William Pearse; formerly Westland Row)
    Connolly Station (James Connolly, formerly Amiens Street)
    Heuston Station (Seán Heuston, formerly Kingsbridge)
    Cork Kent Station (Thomas Kent)
    Limerick Colbert Station (Con Colbert)
    Dun Laoghaire Mallin Station (Michael Mallin)
    Waterford Plunkett Station (Joseph Plunkett)
    Galway Ceannt Station (Eamonn Ceannt)
    Dundalk Clarke Station (Thomas Clarke)
    Drogheda MacBride Station (John MacBride)
    Sligo MacDiarmada Station (Seán MacDiarmada)
    Bray Daly Station (Edward Daly)
    Wexford O’Hanrahan Station (Michael O’Hanrahan)
    Kilkenny MacDonagh Station (Thomas MacDonagh)
    Tralee Casement Station (Roger Casement)

https://www.transportforireland.ie/portraits-and-lives-of-rising-leaders-are-being-brought-to-daily-commuters-by-iarnrod-eireann/

When I first moved to Dublin in the 90s, many older work colleagues or friends parents still called the Dublin 3 stations Kingsbridge, Amiens or Westland Row even though they would have been renamed for 30 years at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ongarboy wrote: »
    When I first moved to Dublin in the 90s, many older work colleagues or friends parents still called the Dublin 3 stations Kingsbridge, Amiens or Westland Row even though they would have been renamed for 30 years at that point.
    My father still refers to getting off on 'Amiens Street'. (...and his telephone provider as 'the P&T', his bank as 'the Hibernian' etc.).

Advertisement