Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you accidentally get pregnant?

• 21-09-2019 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

We all know couples who always said they werent planning on having a child ever/not for another few years/until married...but then all of a sudden badda-bing-badda-boom. What I always wondered though was, if the woman was not planning on getting pregnant when she did, how did it happen accidentally? (yes I know how IT works). But how exactly was your pregnancy accidental? Always wondered this but obviously cant really ask women this directly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Its easyer than saying we were drunk and werent protected.

Or I completely ignored common sense and cant understand why not always using condoms or not always taking the pill etc can make you preggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Pregnancy is never an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

If the woman is on the pill and taking antibiotics the pill doesn't work, at least that's what she told me when she accidentally got pregnant with the girl she always wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My wife didn't know she was and only when she went to hospital after the doctor gave her water retention pills and said she would never have a baby she ends up been rushed to hospital to give birth......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    We all know couples who always said they werent planning on having a child ever/not for another few years/until married...but then all of a sudden badda-bing-badda-boom. What I always wondered though was, if the woman was not planning on getting pregnant when she did, how did it happen accidentally? (yes I know how IT works). But how exactly was your pregnancy accidental? Always wondered this but obviously cant really ask women this directly.

Well one could say we were shagging like rabbits, condoms are annoying and I'm too lazy to go gp to get prescription for pills. Besides we didn't overly care.

Or you can use euphemism and say it was an accident. As a society we use euphemisms all the time to mellow what we are saying. For example you can say 'but how exactly is your pregnancy accidental?' When you are really thinking 'why are you such a moron?'. Because that's what you really wanted to say when you started this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

I had a thought process just like the op, but am currently 15 weeks pregnant, accidentally. Honestly never thought I'd be "caught" like this!😂 Have 2 planned kids already, have gotten pregnant 4 times apart from this one (2 miscarriages). Thought I KNEW my body, knew when I ovulated, understand the fertile window, know my cycle length etc. Got pregnant straight away on all my pregnancies so had the timing right. But, the month I got pregnant I didn't have sex until day 22 of my cycle. So that month I obviously ovulated later than normal. Was full sure I'd ovulated on day 14ish and was raging because that'd mean I'd have my period on holidays, but it never arrived! I would have thought I was very aware of my body after ttc our other children, yet here we are. It's not the world biggest disaster for us, so I suppose there was a bit of complacency on our side re preventing it, but was still surprised to get a positive pregnancy test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

newbie85 wrote: »
    I had a thought process just like the op, but am currently 15 weeks pregnant, accidentally. Honestly never thought I'd be "caught" like this!😂 Have 2 planned kids already, have gotten pregnant 4 times apart from this one (2 miscarriages). Thought I KNEW my body, knew when I ovulated, understand the fertile window, know my cycle length etc. Got pregnant straight away on all my pregnancies so had the timing right. But, the month I got pregnant I didn't have sex until day 22 of my cycle. So that month I obviously ovulated later than normal. Was full sure I'd ovulated on day 14ish and was raging because that'd mean I'd have my period on holidays, but it never arrived! I would have thought I was very aware of my body after ttc our other children, yet here we are. It's not the world biggest disaster for us, so I suppose there was a bit of complacency on our side re preventing it, but was still surprised to get a positive pregnancy test.

I know in theory it's a safe way of contraception but I could never trust it.

I'd put it in same range as pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Unintended pregnancy is a consequence of contraceptive failure.
    The "no accidental pregnancy" is a pile of steaming BS.

Not female, but our son was conceived whilst my wife was on Depo-Provera.
    5 years never an issue, and I know the injection wasn't missed as I administered it ;)
    She was nearly 5 months pregnant before we knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

If you sit on the toilet seat of a man who has ejaculated you can get pregnant would you believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Conar

Rodin wrote: »
    Pregnancy is never an accident.

So when someone does something and knows there are risks but mitigates them and an unintended outcome occurs its not an accident?

When 2 cars collide do you consider it an accident even though they both headed off knowing a crash was possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I took Noriday religiously every day at 1 pm and got pregnant. Apparently it's not that reliable. I was over 13 weeks pregnant when I realised.

Noriday is supposed to be 99% effective, I'm the 1%
    I now have the coil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Conar wrote: »
    So when someone does something and knows there are risks but mitigates them and an unintended outcome occurs its not an accident?

When 2 cars collide do you consider it an accident even though they both headed off knowing a crash was possible?

If a plane falls out of the sky is it an accident?

An accident is something which you didn't do purposely.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Its a contraception failure. So you may have made every effort in your power to prevent it but the little sucker got in. Didnt happen me i had to do the calendar ****e but Jesus i hope it doesnt happen now

US2 wrote: »
    If a plane falls out of the sky is it an accident?

An accident is something which you didn't do purposely.

Yes, it is usually an accident when a plane falls out of the sky.
    Just like its often an accident when someone gets pregnant.

I accidentally stapled me eye lid before....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Car collisions are usually someone's fault.

Rodin wrote: »
    Car collisions are usually someone's fault.

Yes, but still an accident surely?

Yes, but still an accident surely?

Nope they're called collisions as to take away from the word accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nope they're called collisions as to take away from the word accident.

The collision is the result of the accident.
    Accidental loss of attention or a sudden unexpected change in road conditions leads to a loss of control and then the collision.
    E.g a driver sneezes and in the period of autonomic eye closure the car drifts across the white line causing a collision.

Or a patch of oil on the road causes loss off traction and control hence the car spins off the road.

The collision is the result of an accident or oversight that is usually a risk mitigated against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

A likely outcome of an intended action can’t really be an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Don’t you stop ovulating when long term on the pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm male and touch wood have never dealt with an unintended pregnancy. That said I wasn't always sensible and did have drunken unprotected sex with girls where I didn't know if they were on a contraceptive (and yes condoms should of course have been used).

Generally in relationships I relied on the pill without issue.

Now my wife and I are recently after having our second child and reckon we're ready to stop. Will be very careful and must organise an appointment for a vacestomy when we're certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Addle wrote: »
    Don’t you stop ovulating when long term on the pill?

Eh, what!?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Eh, what!?

You know you don’t have an actual period when you’re on the pill?

Addle wrote: »
    You know you don’t have an actual period when you’re on the pill?

Yes. But if you forget to take it, or its efficacy is destroyed due to an upset stomach, antibiotics or some such, you may well ovulate. It doesn't matter how long you've been on it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

meeeeh wrote:
    Or you can use euphemism and say it was an accident. As a society we use euphemisms all the time to mellow what we are saying. For example you can say 'but how exactly is your pregnancy accidental?' When you are really thinking 'why are you such a moron?'. Because that's what you really wanted to say when you started this thread.

Eh not at all you're wrong there. Never thought anyone I knew who got pregnant was a moron for doing so. You sound like you've a massive chip on your shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've had a condom split during sex before and we didn't realise until after, luckily I was on the pill at the time so I wasn't too worried, that's one way it could happen though.

I have IBS which flares up quite badly at times so I could never really fully depend on the pill, due to frequent stomach upsets and diarrhoea. I have the coil in now, but something like that could lead to an accidental pregnancy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

A lot of women’s cycles get irregular as they get older and the pill isn’t recommended for many after 35 and not suitable fo others. So yes it’s quite easy to get caught out.

'The pull out method' isn't recommended for anyone!

• Advertisement

I've had a condom split during sex before and we didn't realise until after, luckily I was on the pill at the time so I wasn't too worried, that's one way it could happen though.

Would someone who knows condom split not get the map?

It was a GP who told me I wouldn’t heed the MAP cos I was on the pill for so long (years) and wouldn’t be ovulating.

Advertisement