Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow/Ice Warning for Ulster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

• 16-01-2018 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭

The main models continue to weaken storm potential for Wednesday evening and in to Thursday and increase snow potential as the storm system looks to move further south.

With the reduction in the wind threat comes an increase in the snow risk.

The storm thread is here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057829980

At the moment all of Ulster and possibly northern counties of Leinster are in line for persistent and sometimes heavy snowfall.

This may yet change further. The ECM, for example, has snow potential even further south taking in more of Leinster and northern Connaught.

Given we are within the 48 hour timeframe big changes shouldn't be expected but still some uncertainty there.

For now the focus is Ulster - including Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal.

This could be disruptive for the province.

I'd go with 5 - 10 cm - locally more and on high ground. Looks a decent enough event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Kermit I love your enthusiasm for snow! And your knowledge....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Great in Virginia Cavan and often the weather we get is what is forecast for North Leinster. Hopefully get a nice pasting from this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not downgrading the wind potential for south and central counties but this snow threat is real if the track ends up inland, it simply won't warm up much north of the track of the low and could stay mostly snow in Ulster and high ground in Connacht before, during and after passage of this low.

If it intensifies and follows this track, very tight gradients would develop, and even more snow potential would exist (5-10 cm sounds about right to me also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not downgrading the wind potential for south and central counties but this snow threat is real if the track ends up inland, it simply won't warm up much north of the track of the low and could stay mostly snow in Ulster and high ground in Connacht before, during and after passage of this low.

If it intensifies and follows this track, very tight gradients would develop, and even more snow potential would exist (5-10 cm sounds about right to me also).

Any chance it will run south and plaster the midlands as well as the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Arome going for high ground in Ulster only

aromehd-45-42-0_vfc6.png

WRF and Arpege a bit more optimistic though again mainly higher ground

nmmuk-45-38-0_uax0.png

arpegeuk-45-75-0_sen1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hirlam - slightly further south with the track.

hirlamuk-1-27-0.png?16-22

Guess it will be somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bodes well potentially for a few more of us. HIRLAM fairly nailed today's events. Logic would suggest based of its precip frame above that any more than 50km further south on the morning runs and we could be talking disruption in a lot of Leinster come Thursday morning.

I'm a bit confused though, uppers from HIRLAM for the same frame would suggest far too warm?

hirlamuk-16-27-0.png?16-22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Those in Ulster and Leinster should be keeping a very close eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligos right on the border for this.

Interesting ...again...this great Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdanseo wrote: »
    Bodes well potentially for a few more of us. HIRLAM fairly nailed today's events. Logic would suggest based of its precip frame above that any more than 50km further south on the morning runs and we could be talking disruption in a lot of Leinster come Thursday morning.

I'm a bit confused though, uppers from HIRLAM for the same frame would suggest far too warm?

hirlamuk-16-27-0.png?16-22

not necessarily. you can get snow with such uppers when you have cold air in place, provided the wet bulb temperature is low enough(0.6) you sometimes can even get snow at 4c. indeed some of the greatest frontal snow events in Ireland have come about in marginal situations. i would like to think given the winter we have had, we will get one epic countrywide frontal snow event- it has to happen at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Arome is generally very good for snow predictions from what I've seen in the brief time I've used it, it forecast the frontal snow events last month almost perfectly. For some reason though it didn't pick up todays event at all, it showed very few showers over the country all day (not even rain showers) and no snow accumulation at all. Must be an issue with whatever global model its getting its input conditions from for the Atlantic though still bizarre it was so far off

This is what its showing tomorrow, snow anywhere above approx 150-200m to start with and I assume the orange cross hatching is sleet

aromehd-1-28-0_gxy0.png

Before eventually transitioning to snow for most areas in north Ulster

aromehd-1-30-0_duo8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Orange = hail or graupel "niege roulee" literally round snow
    White = snow or sleet "niege verglacante" - literally icy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So North Mayo, parts of Sligo, Cavan could get a blizzard tomorrow night :D

I bet though it will end up further north if it intensifies quickly while engaging the jet stream and fionn's energy.

This thread probably needs an orange warning in my opinion. This could be a very disruptive event.

Can a mod please add the following counties to the OP?

The counties are Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Louth, Sligo, Leitrim, Meath (North), Tyrone, Donegal, Derry, Fermanagh, Down, Monaghan, Roscommon.

Blizzard like conditions are highly likely at times.

Also high ground in Wicklow will be appalling - avoid.

Duration is 6 - 9 hours from night fall tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

00z guidance so far not much change, if anything it has nudged north a few miles on the GFS and Arpege, about the same on GEM. Track still close to border of NI and ROI.

Periods of snow rather than a blizzard perhaps, for inland Ulster. We should get a pretty big signal when it passes the M6 buoy around 17-18z.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Thanks Kermit for your work this week. Got a good dump yesterday. Slight thawing this am but nice to see. Just wondering about this event. My job like many here is extremely weather and safety related and coincides unfortunately with the onset of this event. Has there been increaesed confidence in this over night ? Many thanks again.

justy182 wrote: »
    Thanks Kermit for your work this week. Got a good dump yesterday. Slight thawing this am but nice to see. Just wondering about this event. My job like many here is extremely weather and safety related and coincides unfortunately with the onset of this event. Has there been increaesed confidence in this over night ? Many thanks again.

No problem. Yes there is increased confidence.

It's not uniform across the board though. It may be the case southeast coasts of the north may see mixed conditions. Generally near coasts snow is likely to be diluted. Get any way inland though (Newry in your case) and the risk of snow increases dramatically.

My advice would be keep up to date and be prepared. No need for concern, however. It's short lived and over night.

Disruption likely to be Thursday morning rush hour after snow has passed.

Hope that helps. It's difficult to be exact at the best of times in a mesoscale sense (and the variables with your location).

I'd say you would be right to be prepared for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

That's great K. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Yep another good call KdF . I remember years ago you nailed the timing of the big snow that was going to hit D15 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Met Eireann's model, which didn't perform all that well yesterday, but still:

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/953535170489081856

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking good for the northern half of the country alright.

Why are there two threads on the same storm? This snow is directly related to Georgina so shouldn't it be in the same thread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Another few pushes south on the charts today please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Looking good for the northern half of the country alright.

Why are there two threads on the same storm? This snow is directly related to Georgina so shouldn't it be in the same thread?

Would be handy alright.
    Anyways, we got the Greenland Express, several inches of it, can't get the car down the hill. We got a good deal of wind last night also. Thawing now with sleety rain. Looks like we are maybe gonna get this Georgina too with her coat tails full of snow - blizzards maybe,it seems :(, so feck that, my dental appointment looks like it is down the Swannee.... (Sorry, normally I am a snow fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

the province of Ulster and North leinster will see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

pauldry wrote: »
    the province of Ulster and North leinster will see snow

Where exactly is north Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Em.... Longford, Louth, Meath and Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Louth, North Meath, North Longford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Off topic attempts to derail the thread have been deleted
    If you want to debate whether north Leinster is in Ireland or not, take it to PM...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

coming into the weather forum during these events calm down people

Advertisement