Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Bitterly cold today. Mullingar to Athlone return on the Old Rail Trail (85km).
    https://ie.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4849678.html

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I never thought cars were able to do this hang back thing? I thought by default you would get held up by minutes from being behind a cyclist for 500m???? :confused::confused::confused:

Something is definitely wrong with your car if overtaking a cyclist doesn't knock major time off your journey, Have you tried honking the horn or flashing the lights?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Gorteen wrote: »
    Bitterly cold today. Mullingar to Athlone return on the Old Rail Trail (85km).
    https://ie.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4849678.html

Had warmed up a bit after 12:00... Although I was running rather than cycling today. Good to see plenty of leisure users around Moate and Athlone of all ages and means of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Enduro wrote: »
    Had warmed up a bit after 12:00... Although I was running rather than cycling today. Good to see plenty of leisure users around Moate and Athlone of all ages and means of transport.

Mullingar was thronged earlier with runners and some cyclists. It was great to see so many people out and about and enjoying the amenity of the Old Rail Trail.

• Third cycle in a week. Carrigaline to Ballinspittle and then back to Carrigaline via Ballyfeard Hill. Beautiful morning for cycling. Bone dry and not a puff of breeze. While the weather may be bland and unseasonal, it's a dream for outdoor enthusiasts.

A hilly 68k @ 27 kph. Felt much stronger on the hills and felt like my fitness is starting to come back having broken some of the bad habits that have set in over the last few months. Fixed a problem I had with my shoe last night and felt much more confident clipping in and out so was able to be a lot bolder on the descents and approaches to junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a great spin today. Up Bohernabreena, down by the lake then up Cunard and on up the gap to Kippure. It was a glorious day for the first week of January. Down to Glendalough for coffee and a big lump of sticky toffee cake with a dollop of whipped cream before coming back up the gap and dropping back down through Cunard, Glenasmole and back to Tallaght.
    Didn't break any records (well, one descent but that's because of my added inertia after Christmas) but did put in a few good digs to get the heart rate up and was just beginning to feel a bit knackered by the end. Most importantly, I really just enjoyed being up there. It's a joy to be cycling without a sound apart from the wheels on the road (and some laboured breathing from a middle aged man clutching at lost youth :D)

Made an utter prick of myself a hundred yards from the end, coming up to lights inside stopped traffic when my pedal clipped the kerb and I performed an acrobatic slow motion fall onto the footpath much to the amusement of the cars beside me.

Finished with 93 km and 1600m climbed.

One final thing, don't know if its been mentioned, but the road up to the mast on Kippure has been resurfaced for the first km or so and it's absolutely treacherous on the descent, loose chips everywhere, so be careful
    Happy New year
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2059828108/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Solo spin over secondary roads to ballyedmund, boolavogue, the Harrow, Ferns and then main road to Gorey, down to Courtown and coast road to ballygarret, Killenagh and home.
    Just under 55km avg 26.3 kph.
    Legs a bit heavy after yesterday's spin.
    Fantastic winter weather for cycling ,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Picked the route for the club spin today as our normal road captain was otherwise engaged. There was two groups out with good numbers on the main spin with most of us in race training phase in sone way shape or form.

We went up The Vee which is a grand steady climb for all abilities with lovely views at the top across the valley below. It is one of my favourite climbs which deserves a PR attempt, sub 22 on that would be a cracking time for me.

113km at 28.7avg & a lovely day on the bike with weather to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Club spin out - went with the faster lads who were on a mission after one of them got a puncture.

The last 40km with my legs being ripped off after the Xmas of excess was not fun.

Just under 100km and 900m climbing (@27kmph) has knackered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

First spin out in almost a year, Bought a Giant fastroad 0 for xmas, 30k Clonee-Park and back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Did an early morning 50k with two mates. Stunning morning and beautiful sunrise across Dublin. The LOOK doesn't miss a beat but switching from Shimano to Sram has hurt my brain.

I'll be switching back to Shimano when I get the crank and brakes though, I have R8050 Di2 Ultegra ready to go on along with nicer bars

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

56km today after 37km yesterday and I hope to be out again tomorrow. Consistently dry roads for the first week in January, no winds either. There's surely a hosepipe ban due any day. Not that anyone's complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Handy 60 odd km with club, long walk yesterday with the madra has me knackered

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First club spin since oct I think. a couple of hills I was struggling but managed to keep the legs pumping, Would have breezed it back in Oct. was supposed to be dry, but alas the drizzly rain started and got slowly heavier as we went on. Ballinasloe, Dysart, into Athlone and a cuppa and bun in Fern Hill and back to Ballinasloe. 70km @ 26.5kph. Felt great after it, but legs a wee bit stiff this morning. Taking today off:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

strong enough westerly breeze this morning, I hope its still there this evening for the trip home

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

61km today, fairly blustery at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

First decent spin in a while, yesterday. Rathfarnham up past the Blue Light to Glencree and the Gap, down Lough Tay, Laragh via Moneystown, Glenmacnass, back to the Gap, zoom down Glencree, Enniskerry and home. 115k with 1700.

Lovely day in the morning, got a bit gloomy later

2v325ar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cycling to work this morning and half way in, the bike starts making a knocking noise, and me looking down couldnt figure it out. Made it to work albeit a bit slower than normal. Same story on the way home, pull over twice and check the bike, decide to take it easy as I couldnt figure out what was wrong.

Get home and check the rear wheel as its very shaky/loose. The nuts are tight but decide to take them off and check the axle. It was split in two! 25 years or so with the same axle and thousands of miles, guess it served me well. Have a BTW on order so hopefully it arrives soon before I can get a new axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Common issue with older screw-on freewheel hubs, the axle can be replaced in minutes in LBS for around €25 - €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Very soft weather out there this morning.

If anyone has arrived into work today and they're missing their sexy pair of Crocs from their bag, one is on Dame Street and the other is close to Liberty Hall. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Standard 5 mile / 8 km commute. Nothing of note except I'd forgotten to charge lights so had only the front and rear battery operated lights (Xmas tree lighting policy) on a dark morning, and a fine drizzle which barely seems to be rain, but definitely soaked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Wet morning heading into work going marlay, stepaside and kiltiernan to Enniskerry. Then wet socks and tights but a dry hilly commute home via devils elbow, Glencullen and cruagh.

First time commuting in the dark, not as scary as I expected but too the decent sand corners a lot slower than I normally would. Front see sense ace was acting up but I keep two front and two back lights so was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Damp commute home in the early hours. Damp and rather muddy group ride this morning around NCD for 71km and another commute to work this evening, giving me 110km for the day.
    Just about 1500m from work and heard a clatter around me. Took a while to realise that my virb was no longer where I put it!
    Back-tracked to where it lay in the center of the lane, thankfully being missed by the wheels of the dozen or so cars that drove over it.
    Not a mark on it and still working.
    The plastic bracket had broken off and so it is now held together with a whole lot of epoxy. I’ve also made a tether to keep from losing it if/when it breaks again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Passed the 50,000 km mark on the bike today.

50,055.5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

godtabh wrote: »
    Passed the 50,000 km mark on the bike today.

50,055.5km.

On the same bike? Well done either way.

Over how long? (My self-confidence is going to drop 2 points when I read it no doubt.)

• Got my partner away this afternoon and got the 5 year old bribed so as not to snitch and got the 7 month old suited and booted to be out for her 1st spin on the beater bike and the old child seat added. You can't keep them in these long at that age they just go asleep and slump forward so not good, so the spin was about 300m long but yay for Alice on a bike :D

I didn't actually cycle just pushed her up the road a bit and back on it.

EDIT: We likely hit 5kmph due the excited flapping of arms going on lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On the same bike? Well done either way.

Over how long? (My self-confidence is going to drop 2 points when I read it no doubt.)

different bike. current bike has about 15,000 km on it

done over about 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First spin of the year, d8 out backroads to maynooth and back. Been doing a lot of running and on dry january, so in reasonably good shape after xmas. The route was fairly flat, a bit windy but nothing exceptional, however i had nothing. No power at all and was feeling banjaxed after 45mins. Coupled with the chain slipping on the small ring, could not take any hills in anything other than the lowest gear. Back to the drawing board...
    A frustrating 52km in just over 2hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

D8 to the office to collect shoes and helmet (had a late client meeting last night so got a lift and put the bike in the car, of course forgetting the above) then on up to Firhouse, Gunny Hill and up to view point. BTW there's oil all over the road just before view point so be careful over the next few days.
    We went on up Military Road but conditions were **** and I'm only just over an ear infection so decided to come back down and into town for coffee.

Overall was only 50kms but a good slog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement