Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Registration

• 09-01-2019 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

What's the advice of the cycling forum on this?

Media reports constantly repeat anti-theft advice to register your bicycle without any details of how.

So far as I can find there is no official national bicycle register.

A private company of unknown credibility claims to "work in partnership with the Gardai[sic]" and invites people to provide a fair amount of personal information on bikeregister.ie.

The Gardaí do ad-hoc bicycle registration from Bridewell and Donnybrook Garda stations at infrequent ceremonies around Dublin city.

I already have my bicycle, including frame number, registered with the manufacturer for warrenty purposes. Should I do more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

http://bikeregister.ie/

As for what else to do? i recommend you invest in at least two descent locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Gardai used to register the serial for you. I remember doing it a few years back at the RDS - they said it'd be entered into pulse should it ever be knicked and end up in their possession they could check... whether that's still a thing I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Take a photo of you, with the bike and displaying the purchase invoice. Use that to prove ownership when the gardai recover your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Take a photo of you, with the bike and displaying the purchase invoice. Use that to prove ownership when the gardai recover your bike.

Good shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭com1

Does anybody know who owns Bikeregister.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I've a bit of paper in the seat tube of my bikes with name/address/phone number. Unlikely to be found by a thief but would be helpful in proving ownership if recovered. Along with photos/receipts/serial/etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks all for the pointers everyone, some excellent advice

I'm a bit reluctant to share my personal information on bikeregister.ie without some reassurance that it will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

07Lapierre wrote: »
    i recommend you invest in at least two descent locks.
    And look up locking techniques, I am constantly cringing at seeing these high end locks on bikes and then seeing I could nick the bike using a swiss army knife or a hack saw from dealz, or sometimes need nothing at all (locked on the top bar of the frame to a fairly low post with no sign on it so just needs to be lifted off it).

Also the 2 locks might be of different types, so different tools are needed to attack both of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I'm a bit reluctant to share my personal information on bikeregister.ie without some reassurance that it will be safe.
    will see if they respond:

https://twitter.com/JSWeetabix/status/1083679571294253056

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Their domain doesnt seemed to be registered to anyone either. Very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's done via IEDR, and i'm not sure how tightly they manage what info is made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

The site doesn't even have a valid ssl certificate!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does anyone know if the Garda bike registration scheme is still operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i registered mine with bikeregister.com and paid for the marking kit.

regarding the gardai, this was in display in halfords just before christmas.

506018.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, I found the relevant Garda forms on Scribd

https://www.scribd.com/user/124011917/Geoffg2000

Let's see if I can put them up here;

I wonder if that Sgt is still in Donnybrook!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I remember looking into this a few years back. At that time, the Garda scheme seemed to depend on whether or not your local station had a Garda who was interested in operating the system.
    There were at least two private schemes with very similar names, one being the Irish branch of a UK scheme and the other purely local. Both offered a free registration system and paid marking stickers/engraving. I think if there was just one scheme, I probably would have signed up but, as critical mass was an issue for some reason, I let it drift. Took plenty of photos of the bikes, manufacturer's numbers and receipts just in case.

Advertisement