Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Hio wrote: »
    Hard to see Clare even competing tomorrow with Cork in my view, rule out a win for sure because when Clare were doing better last year and the year before Cork were still a bogey team beating Clare in the last two Munster finals and also the round robin game too. Morale is at an all time low & Cork will exploit that even further I believe in Ennis tomorrow. I would love to think I am off the mark but most pundits are thinking the same. Fair play to Dublin who knocked Galway out of the championship tonight and also well done to Davys Wexford who qualified for the Leinster Final and the all ireland series. I know it might be a bit early but can't help asking out there what contenders will there be does one think for the Clare Hurling Manager next year/season. The Munster League will be on in December so no harm to get things rolling now because bar two miracles looks like this season is already finished for Clare

yep , well done davey we all still love you up here in clare

christy ring cup here we come :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

yep , well done davey we all still love you up here in clare

christy ring cup here we come :pac:

Great news from Wexford.. means Davy will probably stay there for another year. 3 draws, so he's getting closer to winning a serious game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Any chance Colm Collins would call Conor Cleary into football set up with hurlers more than likely gone? Cathal Malone was very good for Ennistymon in club football championship last year. Did he ever play minor/u21 football for Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great stuff from the minors. Might give the seniors a bit of a boost.

Now to find a pub with this Tipp limerick game on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Any chance Ger Loughnane could come back and give the pre-match talk ?

Tell them they’re going to win the All-Ireland this year, beating Cork just another step along the way

• Advertisement

Any chance Ger Loughnane could come back and give the pre-match talk ?

Tell them they’re going to win the All-Ireland this year, beating Cork just another step along the way

Mad to think this group could actually do that if the team and management got there **** together.

Changes aplenty in the lineup I hear anyway

Jason & Aidan McCarthy and Seadna Morey starting for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

great win by clare

Clare first Munster win over Cork since 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

lab man wrote: »
    great win by clare
    Minors yes.

Seniors too little too late.
    Just hope that the win isnt used to cover up the mistakes from the previous 2 embarrassing performances.
    Hopefully we get a new management team (asap) and refreshed squad for next year with everyone having to fight to get a starting slot.
    Next year wont be easy either with cork and tipp away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Seadin

Gael85 wrote: »
    Clare first Munster win over Cork since 98.

Fully deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

@false, I was only talking about the match today, I think the management should have taken Tony off as a statement late in second half

Minors yes.

Seniors too little too late.
    Just hope that the win isnt used to cover up the mistakes from the previous 2 embarrassing performances.
    Hopefully we get a new management team (asap) and refreshed squad for next year with everyone having to fight to get a starting slot.
    Next year wont be easy either with cork and tipp away.

agree , it should not cover up the reason as to why we are out of the championship ,

it might be harsh on two lads that have done so much for clare hurling but in fairness we knew since late last year that we had 3 key games in 3 weeks and we probably needed to win 2 of them

to lose to limerick in that manner was terrible last week

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

lab man wrote: »
    @false, I was only talking about the match today, I think the management should have taken Tony off as a statement late in second half

Understood but guess I'm afraid of us ending up with same management,players and tactics for another season based on it.

Can’t comment on the game itself but delighted we were able to beat Cork today after all the defeat as the last couple of years.

Two great goals from two key players and while nobody can condone it, it was some bit nice to sit GOC throw Kearney to the ground. The scrutiny and pressure of the last few weeks seemed to have taken there toll.

I have no doubt that they will step down now and they should be commended for the work and time they have given to Clare and never forget the success they have given us.

We are still a fairly young team but it’s time for a little tough love I think. No more over analysis of everything. Just go out and play the way yee can and add in intensity and aggression.

Can’t comment on the game itself but delighted we were able to beat Cork today after all the defeat as the last couple of years.

Two great goals from two key players and while nobody can condone it, it was some bit nice to sit GOC throw Kearney to the ground. The scrutiny and pressure of the last few weeks seemed to have taken there toll.

I have no doubt that they will step down now and they should be commended for the work and time they have given to Clare and never forget the success they have given us.

We are still a fairly young team but it’s time for a little tough love I think. No more over analysis of everything. Just go out and play the way yee can and add in intensity and aggression.

intensity and aggression the too things we lacked in the limerick and tipperary games , we were full of that today hopefully we learn from this

as for the game its self , second half was played in torrential rain thunder lightning the works anyone on the open terraces got soaked

i could list nearly everyone that put on a clare jersey today all played well , in particular i would say jack browne , diarmuid ryan , peter duggan , kelly and SOD were all excellent

morey and jason mccarthy also did well enough , cork will be worried about certain areas where they got well beat but you would be surprised if they didnt make the all ireland semi final again

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Understood but guess I'm afraid of us ending up with same management,players and tactics for another season based on it.

I'm pretty sure the two managers were planning to leave anyway, even if the year went well. They have more going on in their day jobs than most of the possible alternatives.

I was delighted to see them get a chance, the u21 team they built was a joy to watch. This season and 2017 were disapointing but they had earned a chance.

No manager is gauranteed of success, look at Loughnane's time with Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Super win today in tough conditions in the second half. Those who looked to drop Kelly and Shane got their answer today. Madness. Played a lot more direct today, dare I say it even off the cuff at some points. Got our reward with conlon and Duggan getting on to more ball and chances being created for other forwards. Poses the question why these tactics weren't adopted at an earlier stage in championship.
    Disappointing to exit the championship at this early stage but time to look to the future. Current management quite simply not good enough. Major rumour doing the rounds of a A Daly/ John o Meara amalgamation, which I wouldn't be in favour of at all but it is what it is. I want Paul kinnerk but I know it's not going to happen. Maybe Anthony Cunningham??

Super win today in tough conditions in the second half. Those who looked to drop Kelly and Shane got their answer today. Madness. Played a lot more direct today, dare I say it even off the cuff at some points. Got our reward with conlon and Duggan getting on to more ball and chances being created for other forwards. Poses the question why these tactics weren't adopted at an earlier stage in championship.
    Disappointing to exit the championship at this early stage but time to look to the future. Current management quite simply not good enough. Major rumour doing the rounds of a A Daly/ John o Meara amalgamation, which I wouldn't be in favour of at all but it is what it is. I want Paul kinnerk but I know it's not going to happen. Maybe Anthony Cunningham??

cant see anthony cunningham as he is in a comfort zone in roscommon and probably a better football coach in my opinion

daly was always in line , a lot of people wanted him in ahead of gerry and donal in 2016 , he pulled out to avoid conterversory knowing he would likely get another shot at it again

if it was daly with o'meara o'meara would be the coach , he has serious work done in the bridge maybe not the best tactical person on the line but an excellent coach

we wont get kinnerk ,not when limerick are flying which they are at the moment today aside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Even gaa people in the bridge think o Meara as a bit of a spoofer who got lucky with a talented bunch of lads. I want the best for my county, not second rate. If I was county board chairman, I'd be busting a gut trying to get kinnerk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Is that the same John O Mara who let his Sixmilebridge team lose a 9 point lead against Na Piarsaigh at home in Sixmilebridge a few years back? A disaster of a manager

no sign of peter o'connell in the media scrum today , i take it donal would have killed him if he showed up

excellent stuff from the minors bruiser is doing a serious job to be fair

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Is that the same John O Mara who let his Sixmilebridge team lose a 9 point lead against Na Piarsaigh at home in Sixmilebridge a few years back? A disaster of a manager

he has tons of experience as both player and manager , he is regarded as a decent coach to be fair , but maybe not management wise , he wont be manager if this rumor is true

even daly was questioning the idea of joint managers and do they really work last week so it would be him in charge and no one else if it was true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The difference an interested SoD and Tony Kelly makes to Clare cannot be underestimated, I'm delighted that they showed what they can do yesterday but I have to say it's extremely frustrating to see what they can do after 2 games of them doing nothing. I'm also delighted that I think Tony Kelly's best position might have been identified and that's as a "in and out" corner forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 protosByte

Very disappointing championship. The game against Tipp in Ennis in particular was hard to take. Beating Cork was a good way to sign off though. First time we've beaten them in the Championship since 2013!

I do think a lot of the fault for the season lies with management - the tactics were terrible and didn't suit the players at all. That said - the two lads did their best and some of the abuse they got was a disgrace.

My gut says that Dalo would be a good choice to take over. Would be a little worried if he could handle the tactical side of things though. He's been out of inter-county management for a while now. He'd need a good number 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Whoever gets the gig now has to sort out the players mentally, the difference from last week to this shows that the hurling is there but the want isn't. Daly is probably the best suited person to be able to develop the players and with his connections in the game he'll have no problem getting a great team together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

Very happy for the lads and mmanagement to get the win.

Delighted to see Kelly operate further up the field. I've written quite a bit on the old discussion page that he is best playing in the full forward line and I think going forward we need to be playing him no further than 40 meters from goal.

Overall its been a very dissapointing year but at least we signed off on a positive note. Very grateful for all of D&G contribution to Clare hurling but I feel time has come full circle. And I want to make the point that there is absolutely no shame in that, its just sport, coaches who stay around coaching the same team for decades like Brian Cody, Alex Ferguson, Bill Belichick are very very rare. Gerry is going to get a hefty ban id say anyway. I still genuinely think a fresh new voice with a few cast-offs hopefully to return and 2/3 new panelists like Ryan and McCarthy were this year, we can get back competing well with the best teams.

Also well done to the minors. Brilliant result.

I think 3 years is about the limit in today's management, the lads have given their all and they've been given a lot of support from the public but their time is up, just imagine if Davy had 2 sideline bans and had someone throw the opposition sliotars over the fence.

As I've said loads of time, I'd like a split from the team of the 90s but Daly is probably the best option available to us at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Even gaa people in the bridge think o Meara as a bit of a spoofer who got lucky with a talented bunch of lads. I want the best for my county, not second rate. If I was county board chairman, I'd be busting a gut trying to get kinnerk.

If you want the best why not Brian Cody? Because there is as much chance of him coming to Clare as there is Kinnerk next year.

Advertisement