Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favorite Action Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

The Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Point Break (the original)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 shanno666

law abiding citizen was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

One that hasn't been mentioned and that I hadn't seen since it's release years ago until relatively recently; The Fugitive.

Still holds up very well to be fair, good plot (crams an entire TV series worth of plot into a single movie) and solid performances all around.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Maximum Overdrive

The best Stephen King adaptation in my opinion, and the fact he disowned it even though he directed it himself shows what a shower of thundering idiots inhabit the film industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Bourne movies, all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Grayson wrote: »
    Pacific Rim. I know it's dwarfed by most films in this list but it has two points going for it.

1) It's actually a lot of fun.
    2) It's managed to partially rescue the giant robot genre from the abhorrent mess that is the transformer franchise.

it also gave us this Honest trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Walter Hill has made some action masterpieces, for car chase sequences its got to be The Driver from 1978 with Ryan O'Neal, some of the best wreckless driving stunts I've ever seen, I rate it even better than Bullet or The Italian Job (both versions.) No sub plots, no names, hardly any dialogue, just realistic frightening night shots of scary, scary driving. I recommend it for the opening chase sequence alone, totally adrenaline pumping and no CGI whatsoever.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Any mention of The Equalizer with Denzel Washington? Slow start but some great fight scenes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Any mention of The Equalizer with Denzel Washington? Slow start but some great fight scenes in it.

If we're talking Denzel, Crimson Tide is his best film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

shanno666 wrote: »
    law abiding citizen was amazing

Gerard Butler should have been left kill everyone, then the film would have been great.

Jaime Foxx was a lil bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If we're talking Denzel, Crimson Tide is his best film.

Action? Never seen it gonna have to now:-)

Action? Never seen it gonna have to now:-)

Submarines! Him, Gene Hackman, Viggo Mortensen, Tony Soprano. I do love a submarine film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Lots of good movies here, one that hasn't been mentioned is Starship Troopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I like most of the films already mentioned.

I love The River Wild with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon.
    Plus fair play to Meryl for doing all that white water rafting herself rather than a stunt double.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Submarines! Him, Gene Hackman, Viggo Mortensen, Tony Soprano. I do love a submarine film though.

Hunt for Red October was better. Although are they action films? A lot of films we're mentioning are action/war or action/adventure or action/suspense..

I don't mind. They're great films

Lots of good movies here, one that hasn't been mentioned is Starship Troopers.

Apparently it's absolutely nothing like the book which was a discussion about fascism. Who cares.

MEDIC!!!!

Hunt for Red October was better. Although are they action films? A lot of films we're mentioning are action/war or action/adventure or action/suspense..

I don't mind. They're great films
    Yeah you're right on both counts, by definition submarine films are sneaky and suspenseful. Still though there's torpedo chases so I'm counting them :D

One ping only Vasily, one ping only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭mackeire

Dual
    Blind Fury
    Smokey and the bandit
    Crush proof
    Accelerator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

On the cheesy 80s B-movie side of things look for:

Deadly Prey
    Invasion USA
    Lone Wolf McQuade
    Tango & Cash
    The Final Sanction
    Remo: Unarmed & Dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

+1 for Con Air as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Blazer wrote: »
    it also gave us this Honest trailer

That is a brilliant Honest Trailer.
    Pew Pew Pew.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

razorblunt wrote: »
    That is a brilliant Honest Trailer.
    Pew Pew Pew.

Great movie, it's giant robots v giant monsters from another dimension, what's not to love. It's big, loud and over the top with some hammy acting from Ron Pearlman whats not to love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Terminator 2 is one of my favourite movies even when not confined to the Action genre, so that.

I would have a fondness for the first 3 Die Hards too, great nostalgia trips.

The Bourne Identity was great, though I don't know if it quite fits the action genre.

The Fifth Element is another one that's largely action with a Sci-Fi twist. I know this one is a bit marmite, but I love it. Weird characters and setting, doesn't take itself seriously at all. Some great one liners and quips.

Same goes for Demolition Man, couldn't be listing top action flicks without including that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Die Hard
    Man on Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Now I know a lot of people will disagree because the story and action sequences are so stupid but..... It's just sooo over the top. Just enjoy the stupidity of it and it's amazing. If you want to make it interesting then pop open a drink and take a slug everytime John Cusack narrowly avoids death. It starts off slow but there will be points where you're chugging it down and by the time you're halfway through you'll be locked and cheering everytime he avoids death from yet another volcano.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Raid & The Raid 2 - f*cking awesome movies. Action out the wazzooo

Now I know a lot of people will disagree because the story and action sequences are so stupid but..... It's just sooo over the top. Just enjoy the stupidity of it and it's amazing. If you want to make it interesting then pop open a drink and take a slug everytime John Cusack narrowly avoids death. It starts off slow but there will be points where you're chugging it down and by the time you're halfway through you'll be locked and cheering everytime he avoids death from yet another volcano.
    Armageddon is my choice for terrible but great disaster film. Drink every time you see an American flag

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mackeire wrote: »
    Dual
    Blind Fury
    Smokey and the bandit
    Crush proof
    Accelerator

Yeah Duel is a classic, Steven Speiberg's directorial debut into the cinema world, one great big dirty menacing truck terrifying a city dweller in a tiny red car (Denis Weaver) on a remote highway. Speilberg was one of the first to take the engine sound seriously in the movie soundtrack, you could tell that this thundering monstrosity was creeping up on you again. Don't forget Convoy with Kris Kristofferson, more a comedy than action, but still some good action sequences too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭mackeire

Yeah Duel is a classic, Steven Speiberg's directorial debut into the cinema world, one great big dirty menacing truck terrifying a city dweller in a tiny red car (Denis Weaver) on a remote highway. Speilberg was one of the first to take the engine sound seriously in the movie soundtrack, you could tell that this thundering monstrosity was creeping up on you again. Don't forget Convoy with Kris Kristofferson, more a comedy than action, but still some good action sequences too.

Ye it was a good film

Advertisement