Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

• 30-05-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo

Brand new from Ferguson, the Ariva 120 Combo available now from all the polish sites... lowest i have seen is 275zl which is €70 (before postage).

Front

161082.jpg
    Back

161083.jpg
    Remote

161084.jpg

SPECIFICATION
    STB Type: DVBS/S2/T Combo Receiver
    Main Chipset: ALI 3602B
    CPU frequency: 333MHz
    Flash Memory: 1PC 32Mbit/4Mbyte
    SDRAM Memory: 2PCS 32MX16bit/64Mbyte DDRs
    Active Ant Power 5VDC @ 50mA MAX,Overload Protection

Plays MKVs, USB Record, Timeshift, Web Radio. User Manual

Over to you Tony..... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Makes €70 for a bare-bones Aldi box look a bit lame and €200+ for a dodgy Triax way OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

It doesnt have MHEG5 for text/interactive features nor is it certified by Saorview.

Will it work.... Yes, I dont see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

That is a carbon copy of the Yamada box I bought in Maplins for €55. Which gets all of the Saorview channels including RTE2 in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

That is a carbon copy of the Yamada box I bought in Maplins for €55. Which gets all of the Saorview channels including RTE2 in HD.
    but its not a combo dtt/sat reciever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

STB wrote: »
    Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo

Brand new from Ferguson, the Ariva 120 Combo available now from all the polish sites... lowest i have seen is 275zl which is €70 (before postage).

Front

161082.jpg
    Back

161083.jpg
    Remote

161084.jpg

SPECIFICATION
    STB Type: DVBS/S2/T Combo Receiver
    Main Chipset: ALI 3602B
    CPU frequency: 333MHz
    Flash Memory: 1PC 32Mbit/4Mbyte
    SDRAM Memory: 2PCS 32MX16bit/64Mbyte DDRs
    Active Ant Power 5VDC @ 50mA MAX,Overload Protection

Plays MKVs, USB Record, Timeshift, Web Radio. User Manual

Over to you Tony..... :)

To be honest this looks absolutely brilliant - for that price i have only a few question's? WHERE CAN I GET ONE!!!;)

Can some one throw up a link to one of the sites that is in english - ive been looking at it and id say this will be MASSIVELY popular as a no bells and whistles Combi Box for Ireland! AND FOR 70EURO.. id imagine 90 odd with postage - SERIOUSLY WHERE CAN I GET ONE!!!!!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

Satsklep.pl is the only english one - they charge 54zl for UPS delivery (€13), but they dont have the 120s at the moment - they only have the Ariva HD 200 Combo which is €100.

Use a translator.

Other reputable site - 263zl (even cheaper).

http://www.dmtrade.pl/index.php?p1368,ferguson-ariva-120-combo&utm_source=radar.pl&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2011-05&utm_content=57238653

http://www.ceneo.pl/;004+sAriva~~MHD~~M120~~MCombo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

wow! thanks for the post STB.
    This looks to be exactly what I've been waiting for over the last few months, a combo box at a decent price.

Hmmm... actually as low as 249zl which is €63 before postage. Quite insane.

http://www.sklep.awhandel.pl/go/_info/?id=268&partner_id=97979797&code=8ffdeac4ac8e545137b0adeb5d275c24

Best of luck with the polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Use google chrome browser. it translates websites extremely well.
    Above website wont ship to ireland :(

dmtrade total including delivery to ireland is €100.50
    dosn't look ceneo will delivery either

I suggest people wait til Satsklep get them in which is €83 all in.

Otherwise pay the €100 all in, its still €50 cheaper than retailers over here for the cheapest combo box.

Unless Tony @ satellite.ie gets them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'll be getting them in ok , ferguson will be shipping from Friday they tell me although these dates always slip . I wont be doing it at the satskep price though unfortunately as I dont think its sustainable from a support point of view as we would be selling at very near cost price .

If you want to use HD you will also need a HDMI cable which is not supplied wth the box.

The boards user discount will apply though (hope the mod here does not mind me mentioning that , i'll delete otherwise)

They should be fine though so I dont think there would be any problems ordering from Poland . The 120 is a 100E with terrestrial added and I know that works with a network connection so there maybe third party firmware released to use a sky card etc.

Just bear in mind though that this does not have mheg 5 so RTE digital text will not work nor will any future interactive service.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 satman18

is it possible to buy combo boxes suitable for ireland in say france/spain. what price, would any one know

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

looks good here is a translation:

Manufacturer: Ferguson
    Combo tuner, allowing satellite and digital TV programs with DVB-T MPEG-4
    Superior image quality in both high-resolution HD and standard SD card. Ariva 120 Combo is a home entertainment center via USB with the possibility of recording, timeshift and support for MP3, OGG, FLAC, JPEG, MPEG, MKV.
    Although the receiver two-head (so-called combo) is the current consumption in standby mode does not exceed 1W.
    The card reader hidden under a flap on the front panel allows you to watch pay TV in High Definition (refers to deals in which the card can be purchased on the same code) . Ariva 120 Combo is the most comprehensive source of digital terrestrial and satellite HD.
    Specifications:
    Reception of channels of high definition (HD)
    Support for Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3)
    PAL upscaling to 720p or 1080i
    Supports 32 programmable timers
    Separate lists of favorite channels, TV and Radio
    Quick search channels (QuickFind)
    Supports teletext and subtitles
    DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, Unicable and DiSEqC 1.2, USALS
    Support for MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
    Input, Output
    HDMI with HDCP
    LAN (RJ45), USB 2.0, RS-232
    2x RCA (Cinch), Analogue Audio
    Optical digital audio output
    1 x SCART

Pilot
    Ariva 120 Combo comes with an extremely convenient and intuitive remote control symbol RCU-500. The pilot can easily operate all the functions of the receiver.
    Processor
    Ariva 120 Combo is built based on the advanced main unit (CPU), a renowned manufacturer ALi. M3602B-performance processor (333MHz), working with DDR memory provides the highest available sound quality DolbyDigitalPlus and digital video in High Definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Now that it's translated to English can someone translate to laymens terms?

It appears you can record programs from Sat & DTT to an external hard drive, but am I correct in assuming it's not a true PVR - can you pause re-wind live TV or watch while recording in time-shift mode?

Does this box only have a single Sat and a single DTT tuner, in other words can you watch one Sat channel and record another or watch one DTT channel and record another, if not can you at least watch one Sat/DTT channel and record a DTT/Sat channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Tony, any idea on what price you will be selling at (including the boards discount) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Is there a PVR included in that box? Or can I record to an external HD.

JCB1 wrote: »
    Tony, any idea on what price you will be selling at (including the boards discount) ?

Let me check its ok to post this with a mod and i'll get back to you.

Edit: We'll be doing a special boards user only voucher which will price the box at 99 euro including vat . We only use VAT inclusive prices on our site (as per the law of the land) unlike some of our competitors.

With thanks to marclt for allowing this to be posted

Dymo wrote: »
    Is there a PVR included in that box? Or can I record to an external HD.

it would be the deal of the century if it had pvr included. You can use an external hard drive in exactly the same way as the ariva 200

Looks like a great no bells/whistles box for the irish market - seriously considering it for a second TV and for my mothers house -

Id say it will be massive in Ireland - think about it -

Sky Dish 40 odd quid
    Basic UHF Aerial + mount 40 odd
    Cable 20odd
    and this box for a hundred odd

Thats 200 odd for a complete FTA system in ireland (DIY obviously!)

Should be popular in these recessionary times - If only ferguson would do a MHEG5 box :(

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

How does the box deal with changes in channel frequency... you get it quite abit on satellite that channels will move. Many people end up losing the channels and find doing a search too complicated.

• Advertisement

liamtech wrote: »
    - If only ferguson would do a MHEG5 box :(

I've been asking them for years, the answer I got was "nobody uses that". Unfortunately ferguson are not very pro active with what we tell them is good for the market . I also asked them to put the USB socket on the back but alas that request was met with silence.

Channel frequency changes are very rare on terrestrial but satellite would need to re tuned. There is the option of a USB channel update but that will not suit everyone.

marclt wrote: »
    How does the box deal with changes in channel frequency... you get it quite abit on satellite that channels will move. Many people end up losing the channels and find doing a search too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

How does it differ from the Ariva 200 combo box?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

If it did have MHEG5 (or any other combo box) would it be able to use BBC sport Multiscreen etc ? or just Text. Also I presume that no FTA boxes can access SKY News Red button service ?

marathont wrote: »
    If it did have MHEG5 (or any other combo box) would it be able to use BBC sport Multiscreen etc ? or just Text. Also I presume that no FTA boxes can access SKY News Red button service ?

You dont need MHEG5 to access the BBC sports multiscreens, they are broadcast in the open as seperate channels. You can just add them to the channel list or have a seperate one for them in the favourites menu.

Yes they are 2 single tuners. These are PVR enabled which means you can record to them. But they play AVI and MKVs straight off from that USB port too which means you can have your recordings and your movies on the one USB drive operated by the one remote control of the box.

Most peoples channels lists are the same.....nothing to stop having a regular updated channel list that can be simply uploaded via USB.

It is good to see them coming down this far. Triax will have to rethink their price point. I think we all have a fair idea of the unit costs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxirl

Tony wrote: »
    Let me check its ok to post this with a mod and i'll get back to you.

Edit: We'll be doing a special boards user only voucher which will price the box at 99 euro including vat . We only use VAT inclusive prices on our site (as per the law of the land) unlike some of our competitors.

With thanks to marclt for allowing this to be posted

Good stuff. Whats the difference between this and the ariva 200

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

marathont wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about MHEG5 for freesat multiscreen. You can store the multiscreen channels as individual channels on these FTA boxes. MHEG5 might be more important alright if you want whatever Saorview will offer using it.

I think that nothing but a sky box with do the sky red button.

foxirl wrote: »
    Good stuff. Whats the difference between this and the ariva 200

They both do the same thing. I've not studied the specs in detail

Tony wrote: »
    They both do the same thing. I've not studied the specs in detail

Your right though its a pity the USB port is at the front - i prefer having my USB HDD plugged in the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

could someone give me a rough idea of what channels I would expect to pick up with this box, provided i had a UHF aerial and sky dish, (is the sky dish a necessity?), thanks

Advertisement